imported_John Smith Guest

Default Ouch. I had another roofing nail get my head

I guess I am going to have to start wearing one of those "bump caps" during my attic inspections. Hit my head on another roofing nail yesterday, fortunately it didnt start bleeding all over the place. If anyone has ever had a cut on their head, they will know exactly what I mean.

No, I didnt damage the nail.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Ouch. I had another roofing nail get my head

Yep, way too many in fact.

Chuck Weaver Guest

Do any of you guys wear hard hats. I have one in my truck but have never used it though there have been time when I wish I had.

Ed Snedaker Guest

Yep. Ever since the last nail sent me to the doctor for a tetanus shot about a year ago. Always protect yourself.

I also wear a respirator when I enter vacant houses and don't take it off until I'm sure its safe.

Chuck Weaver Guest

I know you are right Ed. Some of these things are uncomfortable but I should be protecting myself at all times and need to be aware of it and not in such a hurry. Thanks for your feed back.

mike huntzinger Guest

i got one at our monthy meeting and do use it, I added some LED lights to it and does the job, also keeps the cob webs out of my hair

I got one with a bill on the front, like a batting hat, cut a round hole in it, installed a small fan I got from Radio Shack, installed a battery pack on the inside at the top where it was above my head, cushioned under the battery pack - just in case I hit something hard, installed a small slide switch, and had a cooling fan I could either have on my face or turn the hat around and have it on the back of my neck (I usually used it on my face) to keep me cool. Use rechargeable batteries and it is not that bad.

That was only after several nail bumps with blood running down my face and neck, that will get your attention.

I put my headlight (ended up with those Streamlight white LED ones, they were great, like this: Streamlight Trident HP LED Headlamp - 61080 from Streamlight-Flashlights.com ) so that I always had light wherever I looked.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Chuck Weaver Guest

Well I have the light and the hard hat so there are no excuses if I get "Nailed". If I do I promise you will not hear about it.

Ted Menelly Guest

Yeah know, I have never ever hit a nail but when squatting and trying to duck under 1x6 sharp edged collar ties I have caught that sharp edge on several occasions over the years.

Carl Eisen Guest

Got me laughing on this one. I have definately had one of those been there done that moments. I remember the womans face when I came out of the attic with blood streaming down may face and neck (and it was a small scratch but bled like a stuck pig.) She about passed out on me.

Ron Bibler Guest

A new insulation guy was in an attic. This some 25 years back just a young guy only been on the job a short time. He did a quick stand up in the attic a put nail in the back of his head and that was it for him. they had to go up and get him down. very sad. keep your eyes open guys. lots of things can happen.

Best

Ron