Default chimney cricket installation

Can someone verify for me that this cricket is installed incorrectly. this will divert the water directly underneath the concrete roof tiles. shouldn't there be tiles installed over the cricket that will divert the water to the top of the tiles on either side of the cricket?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: chimney cricket installation

Quote Originally Posted by cory wright View Post
    Can someone verify for me that this cricket is installed incorrectly. this will divert the water directly underneath the concrete roof tiles.
    Cannot "verify it", but it 'looks like' the cricket extends out that far.

shouldn't there be tiles installed over the cricket that will divert the water to the top of the tiles on either side of the cricket?
    Depends on what the single ply roofing on the cricket is.

Modified? Tiles not needed, but it would last longer with tiles.

Regular tile underlayment? Yep, it sure would need tiles on it protecting it from the sun.

Regardless, though, the stucco should be up at least 2" and have a weep screed along its bottom edge. And, if the stucco were up as high as it should be, you would be able to verify that the cricket goes all the way to the edges of the chimney. However, is the chimney 30" wide or more? (Looks to be about 36" to 48" wide, depending on if those are 9" wide tiles or 12" tiles - most are 12" wide.)

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Jerry for the quick response. the chimney is about 50 inches wide, and the cricket stops and levels out right where it meets the roof tile, so there is about 4 inches if flat roof on both edges of the chimney. The material on the cricket appears to be single ply roll on, not a tile underlayment.

My concern is that rain water hitting the cricket will roll down the cricket and underneath the tiles and onto the roof. the sides and front of the chimney are flashed and the stucco does go all the way to the crease in the flashing. this is typical for a framed/stucco chimney naroound here, i usually see the stucco go al lthe way down to the flashing crease with no weep screed. here are a couple more pictures.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by cory wright View Post
    the cricket stops and levels out right where it meets the roof tile, so there is about 4 inches if flat roof on both edges of the chimney.
    Cory,

If you can see that for sure, then the cricket is not wide enough.

The material on the cricket appears to be single ply roll on, not a tile underlayment.
    I take that means it is suitable to be exposed. That would be okay, but it would last longer if protected by tile.

My concern is that rain water hitting the cricket will roll down the cricket and underneath the tiles and onto the roof.
    That should not matter if it is not a System One roof with the flashings on top, and your photos shows it is not. Also, the sides of the tile at the single ply cricket are supposed to be pointed up with mortar to keep 'most' of the water out from under the tiles.

See that gap along the sides of the hip ridge tiles? That is supposed to be sealed and weather blocked also.

the sides and front of the chimney are flashed and the stucco does go all the way to the crease in the flashing. this is typical for a framed/stucco chimney naroound here, i usually see the stucco go al lthe way down to the flashing crease with no weep screed. here are a couple more pictures.
    Seeing that all the time just means that everyone is doing it wrong, not that it is acceptable.

Curious, is that roof two colors, or was that a shadow from something?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yes, the roof is two colors, doesn't appear to be any repairs underneath or anywhere around, i'm guessing they just didn't mix different pallets of tile very well.

Thanks again for the info Jerry, this site is a life saver when we are out in the field.