Thread: Return Air Vent

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Return Air Vent

I forgot to post this beauty. That is a return air vent in the closet. The builder was at the inspection and said the city passed it. According to my training this thing is useless if the closet doors are closed.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Return Air Vent

Mat,

It is very useful for sucking all the loose fibers off the clothing and distributing them throughout the house.

Then they block half of it of with that closet shelving unit.

That builder needs to be locked in that closet two days and see what kind of air flow he gets.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    ...The builder was at the inspection and said the city passed it. ..
    Passed IT specifically, or passed the house (and maybe never even saw this ridiculous thing)?

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Passed IT specifically, or passed the house (and maybe never even saw this ridiculous thing)?

John,

I've never seen a permit card which states 'Return Air Location' and then has a place to sign off on it specifically.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Craig Ervin Guest

I'm thinking the installer thought that area was going to be the hallway. Maybe the blueprints changed, which put it in the closet. Even if they moved the return out of the closet, it would still be in the bedroom. Which would not pass unless they have a second return for the rest of the house elsewhere. Park City UT gets cold, I would have thought the furnace would have trip on over heat since it can't get air. Maybe the owner keep all the doors open.

That is a good one

mathew stouffer Guest

Besides the vent in the closet there were some problems with the HVAC. It was a zoned system and only two zones functioned.