Default CHILD SAFE OUTLETS

OREP Insurance

Bob Spermo Guest

Default Re: CHILD SAFE OUTLETS

Charlie,

NEC 2008 406.11 calls for tamper resistant receptacles. In Texas all electricians are being held by their licensing agency to the 2008 NEC. I believe it was effective either 9/1/08 or 1/1/09.

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    can anyone tell me if the child safe outlets are coded for all new bulids in 2009 or 2008. or is it another state by state or city by city code deal

thanks
    charlie
    Both.

The "national standard" (i.e., insurance companies recognize the NEC as a national standard for electrical installations) for 2008 and later (such as now in 2009) is the 2008 NEC.

The "local code" (be it state, county, or city) is whatever edition the local AHJ has adopted or goes by. There is at least one state/county/city (at least one AHJ) which is still using the 1984 NEC as their code - I read that in not long ago in a survey where AHJ responded what NEC edition they were using ... can you imagine using a 25 year old code as a "current" building code standard? Maybe they are vying for 'The Land Time Forgot' title?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

We started with permits pulled after June 1 of 2008. I've been putting them in my new project. They mostly work fine, but a few things I have a bugger of a time getting the plug into the receptacle. I haven't sorted out if it is my plug or the receptacle that is causing the problems, but it can be pretty frustrating to mess with the thing for five minutes before you can get juice. I have a feeling the outside GFCI might be replaced with a non tamper proof after my final inspection, since that's the one that causes me the most grief.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    They mostly work fine, but a few things I have a bugger of a time getting the plug into the receptacle.

Jim,

Both prongs must go in *at the same time*. If you try to plug the plug in at an angle it will be the same as trying to poke one side with a paper clip, they lock up ... which is what they are intended to do - prevent a child from inserting something in one side.

It the plug hits both sides at the same time, there should not be any problems, and, if there are I would call the manufacturer.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

These are starting to trickle into use in my area (Oregon). I imagine we're still a ways away from adopting the 2008 code but I just figured the manufacturers are only making the new type outlets.

These are a hassle to fit a tester into quickly but I have learned that if you wiggle the tester quickly from side to side while pushing it inward it goes pretty easy.

Yeah, I'm aware of the concept. So far it's been isolated on the one unit, so I'm not too concerned about it, but I imagine some other people will have the same type of problem.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Charlie,

By the way ... the title you typed for this thread ... I would not call them "child safe outlets" as they are not "child safe", they are only "tamper resistant", with a big difference between the two.

I would not even use "child safe" in discussions with the home owner or your client, I would put that phrase out of your mind and never use it again - - think back to what we all did as kids, now think of ANYTHING which could be made "child safe" against us as children ... not much, if anything, was there?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com