Thread: Fuse panel

Kendall Goad Guest

Default Fuse panel

Just curious how some of you would write this up?
    Inspected a house today that the main panel was the original fuse panel(photo) and the Sub-panel is FPE. All wiring is copper Whenever I run across this I normally feel it would be better looked at by a Licensed electrician.
    Thanks ahead for ay imput.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Fuse panel

Electrical :
    Service Equipment is outdated and beyond it's service life.

. Replacement is recommended by a Competent Licensed Electrician.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it just because it is a fuse panel. If there is no obvious damage or deterioration it should be fine. It may be undersized though with today's standards.

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Keefe View Post
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it just because it is a fuse panel. If there is no obvious damage or deterioration it should be fine. It may be undersized though with today's standards.
    Your free to call ( and stand behind ) them as you wish.
    * I really like that lamp cord from the outlet to the exterior light as well..

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Kendall Goad Guest

Thanks for the replys.
    The sub-panel that outlet is connected to is actually not even the FPE sub-panel I mentioned. This one is a second panel installed later for exterior Christmas decorations.
    No I didn't see any signs of existing problems, but am concerned with this newer panel being added that the Main will be able to handle it.

The service entrance conductors for the newer service equipment is not allowed be run through the old service equipment enclosure.

They should have come out of the meter in two separate conduits, or one conduit to a wire gutter and then from the wire gutter to each service equipment disconnect.

I am presuming that the newer service equipment disconnect is a single main disconnect and not multiple breakers feeding other circuits.

Plus you've got an open face receptacle with no weather proof cover and weather proof covers of the flip type which are not weather proof when in use and one is in use, meaning that needs to have a bubble type cover on it which is weather proof when in use (yes, those flip type covers were NEVER allowed to be left in use unattended).

Plenty enough there to recommend the entire service equipment be replaced with new service equipment suitable for the use (with two main disconnects) and which will take care of all those problems.

How high is that meter? It will likely need to be lowered when the service equipment is replaced.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Then you believe it to be undersized. Call it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendall Goad View Post
    The sub-panel that outlet is connected to is actually ...

Dang Nab It!

Arrrrrggggggggggggghhhhh!

That is EXACTLY WHY I keep telling ... and telling ... AND TELLING ... AND TELLING ... you guys NOT TO USE THE TERM SUBPANEL OR SUB PANEL!

THAT IS NOT A SUBPANEL!

That IS "service equipment".

If you do not even know what to call it, how on earth can you know how it is to be wired?

Question: Is the neutral bonded to ground in your "subpanel"?

If yes, then you should KNOW IT IS NOT a "subpanel".

If no, then you just really screwed up as that is "service equipment" and the neutral IS REQUIRED to be bonded to ground there.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 04-29-2009 at 07:31 AM. Reason: turned the volume down even more than the previous time :-)
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post

Billy,

ANY home inspector should know by looking at that installation that BOTH are main disconnects and part of the "service equipment".

There is absolutely NO REASON *ANY* home inspector should be calling THAT ONE a sub panel.

I let most slide with minor raps on the knuckles, BUT THAT installation needed "The Board" ... with the holes in it too ... right across the rear end.

There is just no excuse FOR THAT ONE to be called such.
    (Or any of them for that matter.)

Kendall, my apologies for bringing out "The Board" with the holes in it ... , but THAT ONE was inexcusable.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kendall Goad Guest

Jerry,
    Your right that is not a subpanel...screwed up and NO I did not word it that way in the report.
    BTW...I did note the receptacles in the report.
    Report has not been submitted to client because I am schedules to meet with them tomorrow afternoon with report and just wanted to make sure I made the right decision on the SERVICE EQUIPMENT.
    Sorry Jerry I'll be sure to watch my Sub-Tongue.

Kendall,

You were posting as I was turning the volume down on that post - but I had to get your attention ...

Glad you did not call it that in your report, I am now feeling much better ... thank you.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kendall Goad Guest

BTW...here is the photo of the newer that was installed for the exterior receptacles only. And the Fuse panel does operate as the main for the rest of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendall Goad View Post
    BTW...here is the photo of the newer that was installed for the exterior receptacles only. And the Fuse panel does operate as the main for the rest of the house.

Kendall,

That's what I was afraid of was in there but was hoping it was only a single main disconnect.

You now have another item to add to your list and another reason for it all to be replaced: Too many mains.

There are spaces in that panel for 8 breakers, and there is the other main (the fused disconnect) making 9, with the maximum allowable number being 6.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Pissy, Pissy, Pissy.

Now, now, no temper tantrums or you will have to go to your corner.

Jim Zborowski Guest

Calm down Jerry. I went to the Museum of Science and indusry in Chicago to see the U-505, a German submarine captured during WWII ( the first naval vessal to be captured by the US since 1812 ) and the main service in it was a sub panel..........get it? sub panel? oh well

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Zborowski View Post
    the main service in it was a sub panel..........get it? sub panel? oh well
    There you go, you have actually seen a "sub panel", not many home inspectors have.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com