Jerome W. Young Guest

Default roof vent for dryer

isnt this a vent for a gas appliance. this was being used for a dryer vent at the roof?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: roof vent for dryer

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W. Young View Post
    isnt this a vent for a gas appliance. this was being used for a dryer vent at the roof?
    Jerome: Yes, it is intended to be used for a gas appliance and is not allowed for use as a dryer roof cap.

The clothes dryer vent (duct) must terminate at a wall or roof hood with a damper as per all dryer manufacturers’ installation instructions and IRC M 1501: General. Dryer exhaust systems shall be independent of all other systems, shall convey the moisture to the outdoors and shall terminate on the outside of the building. Exhaust duct terminations shall be in accordance with the dryer manufacturer’s installation instructions. Screens shall not be installed at the duct termination. Exhaust ducts shall not be connected with sheet-metal screws or fastening means which extend into the duct. Exhaust ducts shall be equipped with a back-draft damper. Exhaust ducts shall be constructed of minimum 0.016-inch-thick (0.406 mm) rigid metal ducts, having smooth interior surfaces with joints running in the direction of air flow.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W. Young View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Jerome: Yes, it is intended to be used for a gas appliance and is not allowed for use as a dryer roof cap.
    No, that is not allowed to be used for EITHER a gas vent OR a dryer exhaust.

Aaron was correct on what is required to be used for a clothes dryer vent, sealed, smooth inside, damper and no screen, and not dead ended like that, smooth curve/radius/bend all the way.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    No, that is not allowed to be used for EITHER a gas vent OR a dryer exhaust.

Aaron was correct on what is required to be used for a clothes dryer vent, sealed, smooth inside, damper and no screen, and not dead ended like that, smooth curve/radius/bend all the way.
    JP: You did not read my post closely enough. I said that it was "intended", and not "allowed", to be used as a gas appliance vent.

Intent is not a synonym of allow. So then, you are allowed too be wrong about this, even though it was not your intent.

JP: You did not read my post closely enough. I said that it was "intended", and not "allowed", to be used as a gas appliance vent.

Intent is not a synonym of allow. So then, you are allowed too be wrong about this, even though it was not your intent.

Aaron,

I suspect it was never "intended" for use as a gas vent, that it only "got used as one".

Just because it was frequently used as a gas vent does not mean it was intended to be used that way.

After all, a screw driver handle is frequently used as a hammer, although I really doubt that was the intent of the handle.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Aaron,

I suspect it was never "intended" for use as a gas vent, that it only "got used as one".

Just because it was frequently used as a gas vent does not mean it was intended to be used that way.

After all, a screw driver handle is frequently used as a hammer, although I really doubt that was the intent of the handle.
    JP: They are commonly, and wrongly, used here for both. Why? Because they can be. I recently had a leak around one of my furnace vents. I called a roofer, because I AM NOT climbing on that 10/12 pitch fall zone. Instead of replacing the storm collar and properly sealing it, they simply replaced the entire thing with one of those non-leaking-all-purpose-intentionally-a-gas-vent-dryer-hood things. When I pointed out that he had just rendered my gas vent non-code compliant he said, "That's how we do them all. I can guarantee that not to leak. I will not guarantee the other." So, I had hims sign a document stating that he would be responsible for replacing it properly should I encounter any function problems or should it be noted in a prospective buyer's inspection report in the future.

I use my flashlight for a hammer, my van keys to open packages, etc. You have your own set of things just like that. Do not lie to me.

Ted Menelly Guest

Todays roof top dryer vent cover

.........mine today was the Prairie Bonnet Style of the mid 80's

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Burnett View Post
    .........mine today was the Prairie Bonnet Style of the mid 80's
    GB: Your is more chic and aerodynamic, but will leak like a sieve. Especially if it is properly aligned with the prevailing wind.

Especially if it is properly aligned with the prevailing wind.
    "if it is properly aligned with"

You mean: 'if not properly aligned perpendicular to', right?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Talking Re: roof vent for dryer

A.D.M.,
    Ahhh, but mine is a thoughtfully engineered design to be self extinguishing when properly oriented to the rain ( of course only on rainy days). Ted's will burn the house down. I think his design is called "boy scout fire starter".