Default Hinged truss plates

Are these rotatable plates intended to be used to extend a truss top chord?

This type of plate is used at the ridge on the same house where it makes approx a 40 deg angle.

I found some other truss issues so calling for an engineer is a given, just wanting some more info/link on this application.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Hinged truss plates

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Are these rotatable plates intended to be used to extend a truss top chord?

This type of plate is used at the ridge on the same house where it makes approx a 40 deg angle.

I found some other truss issues so calling for an engineer is a given, just wanting some more info/link on this application.
    That is the sure-fire sign of a manufactured home where the roof was folded back during transport, then folded up into position once on site and set up.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Larson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That is the sure-fire sign of a manufactured home where the roof was folded back during transport, then folded up into position once on site and set up.
    Though used in MFG homes, that is not their only use.

Scherer Brother Lumber Company - MiTek Truss Products

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Larson View Post

I wonder if they have approval for use in high wind load areas?

I didn't find any links to approvals, however, I did find an ES Report, ESR-1397 ( http://www.icc-es.org/reports/pdf_fi...S/ESR-1397.pdf ), which ... does not allow that use at the peak of the two top chords at the ridge ... it only allows for their use at the hinge location where, when opened, the hinged joint is opened 180 degrees.

Also, they are required to be hydraulic press fit into the wood, no on-site nailing.

The above is not what I am saying, it is what the ESR says.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Larson Guest

I wonder if they have approval for use in high wind load areas?

I didn't find any links to approvals, however, I did find an ES Report, ESR-1397 ( http://www.icc-es.org/reports/pdf_fi...S/ESR-1397.pdf ), which ... does not allow that use at the peak of the two top chords at the ridge ... it only allows for their use at the hinge location where, when opened, the hinged joint is opened 180 degrees.

Also, they are required to be hydraulic press fit into the wood, no on-site nailing.

The above is not what I am saying, it is what the ESR says.
    Please read it again.

The ICC report is only for the BEH-18 hinge plate and does not include the Peak Performerâ„¢ product used at the peak.

The ICC report is only for the BEH-18 hinge plate and does not include the Peak Performerâ„¢ product used at the peak.
    That was my point - that was THE ONLY product approval I found, and it did not include that hinged plate for the top.

Now your turn - find the product approval for that hinged plate at the peak.

Maybe you can find it, I could not, and, if not approved, it is not allowed to be used - thus my point, which it seems you missed.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Larson Guest

Feel free to contact Mitek to satisfy your curiosity

St. Louis Engineering Office
    MiTek Industries Inc.
    14515 North Outer Forty
    Suite 300
    Chesterfield, MO 63017
    Get Map | Satellite

Phone 314-434-1200
    Fax 314-434-5343

Edenton Engineering Office

MiTek Industries Inc.
    818 Soundside Road
    Edenton, NC 27932

Phone 252-482-7000
    Fax 252-482-7115

Sacramento Engineering Office

MiTek Industries Inc.
    7777 Greenback Lane
    Suite 109
    Citrus Heights, CA 95610
    Get Map | Satellite

Phone 916-676-1900

Jeff Whitley Guest

The Hinge plate originally used in mobile home design has been adopted by alot of truss manufacturers. The plate shown in the photo is definitely that, a "BEH" hinge plate, here is an example, MiTek United States

Visibly looking at the plate from the photo it appears that it is in the beginning process of separating, specifically at the pivot ( one corner appears slightly elevated). These plates are notorious for doing so, and generally comes from a lateral movement which wrenches the plate apart. I say this to offer a warning in that a plywood gusset will more than likely be needed to properly secure that joint again.

As far as the high wind worries, don't its a pretty tough plate and holds well, if the truss mfg designed it so then I'm pretty confident its OK. Again the weak point is the circular pivot.

Now your turn - find the product approval for that hinged plate at the peak.

Maybe you can find it, I could not, and, if not approved, it is not allowed to be used - thus my point, which it seems you missed.
    Feel free to contact Mitek to satisfy your curiosity
    Now you are being like Watson - providing no useful information, just a phone number. Watson would provide a link to, say the NEC, and say 'it is in there', as though that was practical and useful information, you are doing the same.

*I* stated I could not find the product approval for that peak plate, only for the hinged truss plate which is required to be hydraulically pressed into place and be extended 180 degrees, asking you to provide it because *YOU* said it was okay.

You did not provide it. Make the call yourself, get the documentation, provide it and show us that it is okay - like you said it was.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Larson Guest

Now you are being like Watson - providing no useful information, just a phone number. Watson would provide a link to, say the NEC, and say 'it is in there', as though that was practical and useful information, you are doing the same.

*I* stated I could not find the product approval for that peak plate, only for the hinged truss plate which is required to be hydraulically pressed into place and be extended 180 degrees, asking you to provide it because *YOU* said it was okay.

You did not provide it. Make the call yourself, get the documentation, provide it and show us that it is okay - like you said it was.
    Jerry,

Please don't take offense as none was meant.

I never said anything regarding the suitability or approval for the Peak Performer hinge plate.

I added additional useful information after your post to simply tell Bruce that modular homes are not the only use for the Mitek BEH18 hinge plate.

I appears to me that you then decided to make some obscure point that was off topic as the peak connection hinge was not part of the original poster's question.

BTW-I had already read the ICC link for the BEH18 when you posted it.
    There were 3 pages of links for Mitek products on the ICC link page.

As you are the only one to have expressed an interest in the approval status of the Peak Performer hinge plate. I simply provided a phone number for to to track it down for your own information. As a litigation consultant, I would think you would want to know.

Should I personally need the information in the future I would track it down at that time.

Have a good day and let us know if you find any useful information.

As a litigation consultant, I would think you would want to know.

And when the time and need arises, I will know.

I do appreciate your interest in my well being, though, thank you.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Approved or not, I would not want them on my house.

Mike Truss Guy Guest

Cool Re: Hinged truss plates

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Whitley View Post
    The Hinge plate originally used in mobile home design has been adopted by alot of truss manufacturers. The plate shown in the photo is definitely that, a "BEH" hinge plate, here is an example, MiTek United States

Visibly looking at the plate from the photo it appears that it is in the beginning process of separating, specifically at the pivot ( one corner appears slightly elevated). These plates are notorious for doing so, and generally comes from a lateral movement which wrenches the plate apart. I say this to offer a warning in that a plywood gusset will more than likely be needed to properly secure that joint again.

As far as the high wind worries, don't its a pretty tough plate and holds well, if the truss mfg designed it so then I'm pretty confident its OK. Again the weak point is the circular pivot.
    Besides mobile homes, hinged truss plates are used in situations where the trusses are too tall when laid flat to transport safely over the roads. Also many truss manufactures use tables with rolling gantry presses that are limited to 12' to 15' in height.

Hinged plates are quite common. I would not worry about them. They have code reports and have undergone extensive testing. The trusses designs were also very likely sealed by a registered engineer. In my 20 years in the work force, I am not aware of any failures of hinged plates.

Anyway, that's my two cents...and total avoidance of any conflicts that appear to have taken place. Carry on.