Daniel Leung Guest

Default Fire Sprinkler and Ventilation in Sauna

I saw a dry sauna next to a shower. Now I have two questions:
    1. Is a fire sprinkler allowed in a dry sauna (see photos), any special requirement?
    2. The sauna and shower has its own door but using the same door to hallway. Is a ventilation fan need for the shower outside the sauna.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Fire Sprinkler and Ventilation in Sauna

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Leung View Post
    1. Is a fire sprinkler allowed in a dry sauna (see photos), any special requirement?
    Yes, it is allowed, and, in many cases would even be "required".

2. The sauna and shower has its own door but using the same door to hallway. Is a ventilation fan need for the shower outside the sauna.
    Yes. An exhaust fan would be required for the shower area.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Was there a window in the room where the shower was located?

rick

Daniel Leung Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Was there a window in the room where the shower was located?

rick
    The shower was located outside the sauna. (Please see the first photo, the white-colour common doorframe is on the left. The brown-colour sauna doorframe is on the right).
    The second photo was taken from the exercise room, that is a glass of sauna for looking the exercise room (The sauna door and the shower not shown in this photo. The common door was facing the dryer/washer in the L-shape hallway).

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Appears that they need an exhaust fan then.

rick

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Appears that they need an exhaust fan then.

rick
    Rick: Both an exhast fan AND counseling regarding their apparent bout with claustrophobia, i.e. biggest window I have ever seen in a sauna.

Arthur Gould Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Leung View Post
    I saw a dry sauna next to a shower. Now I have two questions:
    Sprinkler heads are color coded for temperature.

That one is blue rated to 286 Deg. F. (High Temperature) which is good for a maximum ceiling temperature of 225 Def. F.

The sprinkler itself appears to be a Victaulic V2704 quick response sprinkler which is not listed for residential use but that is ok. The standards do allow use of standard quick response under certain conditions, such as mechanical rooms, where temperatures can be higher than normally expected.

Most of what you will see are red... 155 deg.

Just so you guys know you want to take a guess how many different sprinklers are available on the market? A dozen? Couple dozen?

Actually it's hundreds if not thousands. Different heads listed for different hazards and designs. We have sprinklers that will put out just 8, 10 or 12 gpm and then we have the VK25, these kinds of heads are used for extremely high hazards such as stored boxes of Styrofoam coffee cups to 25' high, that will discharge 200 and more gpm. Get a dozen of these heads operating over a one thousand sq. ft. area and you'll see some water!