phil kaznowski Guest

Default Out of plumb Water Heater

I inspected a water heater today that was approximately 3-4" out of plumb. The support framing was solid, properly strapped and no spillage at the draft hood. What are other issues, if any, with a water heater that is out of plumb?

Thanks,

Phil K.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Out of plumb Water Heater

They are made to operate in a level condition. States water heaters simply say: The water heater must be installed indoors and in a vertical postion and on a level surface. At 3-4" out of level I would call it out as not being properly installed per the manufacturer's specifications.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

phil kaznowski Guest

Scott,

Thanks for the reply. Ironically it was a State water heater and I did read that-I was looking for additional ammo if needed.

Phil K.

The CA codes are based off the ICC codes (not the IRC, so this would be the IPC) and water heaters are required to be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions (502.1 in the IPC).

I am sure the CA Plumbing Code, where it talks about strapping water heaters, has something about being vertical, otherwise, that is a lot of weight to allow to start off top heavy to one side before any shaken earth syndrome sets in.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

phil,
    the california plumbing code based on the u.p.c., not i.p.c. as stated above states in section 508.3 "a water heater supported from the ground shall rest on a level concrete or other approved base extending not less than (3)inches above the adjoining ground level"