mathew stouffer Guest

Default Toilet clearances

The toilet satisfied the 15 inch requirement, however what is one to do about this issue.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Toilet clearances

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    The toilet satisfied the 15 inch requirement, however what is one to do about this issue.
    You undo the toilet paper roll and flip it over so the paper comes from the bottom as recommended.

mathew stouffer Guest

I thought is was supposed to come from the front?

daniel nantell Guest

Dont use toilet and shower at the same time.

M.Pondo Guest

Is the glass tempered ? Well you are on to the next house.

A.D. Miller Guest

MS: Whenever I see something like this, and it is more often than one would think, I make a statement similar to: The glass shower door is installed in a manner that, while perhaps code-compliant, will cause it to break under the right circumstances when it strikes the toilet (towel bar, base cabinet, counter top, whatever). This will result in both the guaranteed expense of shower door replacement and the probability of personal injury. You are strongly urged to have this door differently configured in order to prevent property damage and personal injury.

Jim Zborowski Guest

Gee Rick, I thought the TP should come off the top...........that way you don't keep scratching the wall with your fingernails, ans......if there's a register there, it can blow it off the roll like a kite. lol

Richard Stanley Guest

Remove door - install shower curtain.

Richard,

The simplest idea would be the best way to solve that problem. Put up a shower curtain.

Mat,

How much clearance was there from the open door to the wall?

The minimum allowable opening for the door is 24", as I recall, therefore the minimum access width to the shower door would be 24".

The reason those swinging shower doors need to swing out (they can swing both ways, but must at least swing out) is so that if someone falls in the shower another person can rescue them. If the door were to swing in only and a person were laying on the shower floor, you would not be able to open the shower door to rescue them.

Thus the need for that 24" clearance to be between the open door and the wall - which does not look like it is there.

And, yes, tempered or not, hit that toilet often enough with that door and one day you will be holding the handle in your hand with the door on the floor in little pieces.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

2007 California Plumbing Code - 411.6: Shower doors shall open so as to maintain a minimum twenty-two (22) inch (559 mm) unobstructed opening for egress.
    2006 IRC – P2708.1.1 Access: The shower compartment access and egress opening shall have a minimum clear and unobstructed finished width of 22 inches (559 mm). (2009 IRC unchanged)
    JP is correct in the code required 24” clearance in front of a shower door, which is obviously not the case in those photos.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

mathew stouffer Guest

Crap, I didn't measure. But I have a few additional photos that appear to be approximately two feet between the door and wall.

M.Pondo Guest

Looks like you should ( comment )to your client's as their needs may dictate the neccessity for repair. Let them decide if its a problem. They will appreciate your concern either way.

Another reason a shower door should swing out is so if someone slips & falls into the door it will open instead of possibly breaking & causing more injury than the fall itself.

Clarksville Home Inspection
    JW Goad
    TN License #307 | KY License #2402