Default Horizontal Wet Vent

Gentlemen,

Does anyone out there have a link or files on horizontal wet venting? Contractor wanting to argue about the proper way to install a wet vent. I will try to explain the situation as best as I can. Coming off the building drain they have put a 3 X 2 wye to the tub drain running about 6' to the trap, continue up the building drain about 6' more and then they installed a 3" combination wye and 45 to the water closet, then another 3' on the building drain they have a 3 X 2 combination wye and 45 to the lav. Now the building drain continues to catch the Master bath about another 8'.

I know it is sort of hard to get a good visual and I will try to get pics later, but with this set up would you consider this correct. I said that they needed to add a vent to the tub drain because for it to be "horizontal wet vent" the fixtures in the bathroom group shall connect to th wet-vented horizontal BRANCH drain. 2006 IRC P3108.1

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Dylan Whitehead

Default Re: Horizontal Wet Vent

I guess the contractors argument is that he can use the building drain as the wet vent. Any thoughts on this. I read the code to say that the wet vent must be on the horizontal branch connecting to the building drain.

Dylan Whitehead

Matt Vozzella Guest

Default Re: Horizontal Wet Vent

The contractor may be correct in the installation but determination can't be made without knowing what the rest of the system looks like. The building drain can be a wet vent but there are reasons to not do this, the first being is that it makes it difficult or impossible to add plumbing at a later date without "breaking" the wet vent. Also under Florida code (based on IPC) when wet venting a bathroom only bathroom fixtures can be on that vented horizontal line, any other fixtures would have to connect downstream of the bathroom (or bathrooms in this case) connection.