Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Light Over Stairs

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    it was that much different there than here (at least at this time of year - maybe later in the summer ??? ).
    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    JP: Yes, but - let me look at my watch - it is merely May. Call me in August and let's compare notes then.
    Aaron,

Already beat you to that, covered that in my post ... knew it was coming.

See, up here we only have a conditioner provided on one side, down in South Florida we had a conditioner provided on two sides: The Everglades and the Atlantic Ocean.

Starts to get too hot during the day, the humidity boils up, causes rain, which cools it down (while raising the humidity even more). Start cycle anew each day. Helps keep the temperature down.

Up here, we just have the Atlantic Ocean on the one side (but we are only 4 miles from it, so it helps stabilize our temperatures).

Inspection Referral
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Steven Meyer Guest

From my understanding, lighting should be provided at the top and bottom of the landings, switched at each point.

Haven't seen lighting in the center point of the stairs, but maybe on the stairway to heaven!!

But, those single family homes in a high rise condo may have long stairways!!! May depend on what floor you are on??!!

If condos don't have a house, then why is the top floor called a PENTHOUSE?????

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Meyer View Post
    From my understanding, lighting should be provided at the top and bottom of the landings, switched at each point.
    From the 2008 NEC.
    - 210.70 Lighting Outlets Required.
    - - (2) Additional Locations.
    - - - (a) At least one wall switch–controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in hallways, stairways, attached garages, and detached garages with electric power.
    - - - (b) For dwelling units, attached garages, and detached garages with electric power, at least one wall switch–controlled lighting outlet shall be installed to provide illumination on the exterior side of outdoor entrances or exits with grade level access. A vehicle door in a garage shall not be considered as an outdoor entrance or exit.
    - - - (c) Where one or more lighting outlet(s) are installed for interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each floor level, and landing level that includes an entryway, to control the lighting outlet(s) where the stairway between floor levels has six risers or more.
    - - - Exception to (A)(2)(a), (A)(2)(b), and (A)(2)(c): In hallways, in stairways, and at outdoor entrances, remote, central, or automatic control of lighting shall be permitted.

Does not say the light is required at top and bottom, only that the light is required.

There needs to be a switch at each landing with an entrance to the stairway, yes.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Steven Meyer Guest

From the 2008 NEC.
    - 210.70 Lighting Outlets Required.
    - - (2) Additional Locations.
    - - - (a) At least one wall switch–controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in hallways, stairways, attached garages, and detached garages with electric power.
    - - - (b) For dwelling units, attached garages, and detached garages with electric power, at least one wall switch–controlled lighting outlet shall be installed to provide illumination on the exterior side of outdoor entrances or exits with grade level access. A vehicle door in a garage shall not be considered as an outdoor entrance or exit.
    - - - (c) Where one or more lighting outlet(s) are installed for interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each floor level, and landing level that includes an entryway, to control the lighting outlet(s) where the stairway between floor levels has six risers or more.
    - - - Exception to (A)(2)(a), (A)(2)(b), and (A)(2)(c): In hallways, in stairways, and at outdoor entrances, remote, central, or automatic control of lighting shall be permitted.

Does not say the light is required at top and bottom, only that the light is required.

There needs to be a switch at each landing with an entrance to the stairway, yes.
    Don't know if it is a local thing, but a early 1900 house I remodeled, the inspector required lighting at both the top and bottom of the staircase, switched at both points. His point, the stair case needed to be lighted. A can light at the top and one at the bottom satasfied his requirement. Seemed reasonable to me! Guess we are in disagreement of "placement" of the lights. Bottom line, stair case should have sufficient lighting to prevent falls! So, maybe one of those outdoor "farm" halogen lights would work!

Last edited by Steven Meyer; 05-15-2009 at 04:52 PM.

His point, the stair case needed to be lighted. A can light at the top and one at the bottom satisied his requirement. Seemed reasonable to me!

Depending on the stair, that could leave the stair itself dark, which would present a hazard part way down/up the now dark stair.

Right or wrong, you gotta do what you gotta do to make "Da Man" happy.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Steven Meyer Guest

Depending on the stair, that could leave the stair itself dark, which would present a hazard part way down/up the now dark stair.

Right or wrong, you gotta do what you gotta do to make "Da Man" happy.

Well, now we are getting into "how long is the stair case" As long as the stair case is lighted its total distance, makes no difference the placement of the lighting.

In my case, a long stair case went up against an outside wall, with a landing, then a 90 degree turn and three more steps. I was required by the inspector to put a light at the bottom, and at the mid stair case, and switched at the bottom and at the ending point, also with switching of the hall lights to the second floor. You continue to site the NEC, which is a minimum guide line, each city/county/state can and does add their own perspective.

Before calling it out, consider, does the current situation provide sufficient lighting, and does it meet LOCAL electrical codes?

As a builder/remodeler/flipper I over kill both electrical and plumbing. look at it as "if this were my house" what would I want?
    In 30 years, never failed a code inspection, nor a house inspection. As you say, "ya do what the man wants", even if you disagree!

We are NOT code inspectors, if the lighting meets a standard of lighting you think is sufficient, leave it alone, if NOT express your OPINION, not a code you may or may not understand! It's all in the eye of the beholder!

As long as the stair case is lighted its total distance, makes no difference the placement of the lighting.
    BINGO!

That was my point.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 05-15-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: removed extrat [/quote] which came from somewhere???
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Steven Meyer Guest

BINGO!

That was my point.
    [/QUOTE]

Then I guess we agree. I respect your posts, we just got to the same conclusions from a different prospective. Its been a fun debate!!

Enjoy your posts, you have much to contribute, and at times we must agree to disagree. It's a learning experience for all of us. Thank you for keeping us on our toes!

Look forward to our next "debate"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12