Default Palm tech v5 lock-up trouble

I am wondering if any other palm tech users have experienced the software locking up. I use palm tech inspector ver. 5 on a dell axim. The software continually locks up and I have to re-set the dell. This happens at least once every inspection. Palm tech tells me they don't know what the problem could be unless there is something wrong with the dell axim. I have two dell axims and it locks up on both handhelds.
    I did not have this problem on previous versions of palm tech.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    Greg Jenkins

Default Re: Palm tech v5 lock-up trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Jenkins View Post
    I am wondering if any other palm tech users have experienced the software locking up. I use palm tech inspector ver. 5 on a dell axim. The software continually locks up and I have to re-set the dell. This happens at least once every inspection. Palm tech tells me they don't know what the problem could be unless there is something wrong with the dell axim. I have two dell axims and it locks up on both handhelds.
    I did not have this problem on previous versions of palm tech.
    My Axim had similar problems and it was due to not enough memory. Cleaned out some files and it worked fine. This was with 3D..

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Yep. Locked up. I should be locked up in a cabinet with all the other gimos that clain to shorten reporting time. If you are going to do most of the report with a palm tech then you might as well just bring your laptop with you and do the report and inspection at the same time. It is taking you a lot longer to do the inspection punching notes into that thing so again the report could be done while inspecting and then you can buz around the house with your camera and pop over to the computer now and then and punch in what you found. When you are done inspecting you are done with your report. Then you don't have to worry about the palm tech or anything else for that matter.

Try it. I guarantee you you will spend much less time involving the report because you won't be doing it twice. When you leave the inspection you may just have to throw a pdf email out when you get home but that is all you will be doing. Well, maybe drinking a beer.

Terry Sandmeier Guest

[QUOTE][I am wondering if any other palm tech users have experienced the software locking up. I use palm tech inspector ver. 5 on a dell axim. The software continually locks up and I have to re-set the dell. This happens at least once every inspection. Palm tech tells me they don't know what the problem could be unless there is something wrong with the dell axim. I have two dell axims and it locks up on both handhelds.
    I did not have this problem on previous versions of palm tech./QUOTE]

I have used Palm-Tech v5 with multiple applications and have not had any troubles.

As Scott stated, it might be in the device.

Terry, check your email.

I use Palm Tech and have had problems he noted. Also Vista won't update my handheld. 4 hours on the phone finally went to a computer with XP and updated.

Life is still good-still working-still having fun!

If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest
    Benjamin Franklin

Chuck Weaver Guest

No problems here, Greg.

Check the size of your library file. If you use the default library it will be named default.ptlib. I am one of the users who have had the problem of PTI putting entire picture files in the library. It is somehow linked to the "Preview" function. I've worked with PT for a while on the problem. There is no way for you to clean the pictures out of the library. Email it to PT and they have a utility that will do that for you.

The first time I noticed the lockup on the Axim x51V, that was the problem. The library file was over 1MB in size and loading process overwrote some system stuff. I don't use the PDA anymore but I ran into the problem again with my laptop when everything added to or changed in a report took several seconds to complete. I found the library file had grown to over 10MB! It was taking PTI forever make the change and rewrite the library file. The problem seems to still exist. We have not been able to identify the exact cause to date. I save a copy of the library file after I edit or add comments but before adding pictures. Since I don't always remember to do that, I periodically email the library back for cleaning.

By the way, if anyone is interested in Inspect Express, I can give you a deal. Not a bad program. It comes setup leaning to a "West Coast" inspector. Puts out a Word document, can be customized a kajillion ways. Lots of features. Learning curve is tough if you want to modify much. DevWave has great support.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

No problems for me. 8 years down the line and my problems are self inflicted. Like dropping the hand held out of an attic 9 feet to the garage floor. But the Axim was a little problematical. I solved that by dropping it too. Now I use an HP iPAQ. Plus I'm a computer luddite and the guys at Palm tech have always been right there with the tech service.
    JLMathis

Bob Lynett Guest

No problems here....like Ted said I bring my HP laptop to the inspection and fill in the report in sections, dump in the pictures at the end and make final notes. I will usually go over the report with the client unless I have a ton of pictures which I sometimes will do once home and then email the pdf out.