Default tenant vs landlord

From time to time I get a call from an unhappy tenant. They claim their landlord wont fix things and the place is horrible. I'm sure all know the story.

While I don't want to get invloved in these situations, I wouldn't mind being able to give them guidence that might help them solve their problems.

Where could I direct these persons to find help? What are some things I should tell them?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: tenant vs landlord

1 check if your/their Muni has a tenants rights ordinance, many do.
    2 get yourself a copy, usually city hall or muni website
    3 read it, know it, provide info, link, etc to caller as you wish
    4 you can provide paying services for this
    Can provide details if interested

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Mitchell Meeks Guest

Since I am also a real estate agent (don't tell anybody) tell them to check the lease. Make sure they follow the rules set forth in the lease. The primary thing that they need to do is to put it in writing and I would even suggest certified mail if they don't think they will do anything. That way if the issues are serious enough they can break the lease and move out. Also do not hold back money to pay for something or hold it just to prove a point.

For the most part the landlord is in the drivers seat. The tenant needs to make sure they do it by the book or so they could suffer. Don't get me wrong, I am not sympathizing with landlord, I have seen my share of crappy properties.

When I get a call like that, I offer my service at no charge.
    I have seen some real slumlords. Can't imagine people living like that.
    Anyhow, contact the building inspection department (in my area I ask for the property maintenance division).
    Just like there is a code on new construction (IRC), there is also a code on property maintenance.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I get calls from people like this as well John. They say the place is not safe and want an inspection to use as ammo against the landlard. I like making a buck as much as anybody else.......but...........I do what I can to talk the callers out of hiring me. I tell them that my report cannot make their landlord fix anything that is wrong. It will only serve as a document of defects which the landlord will probably toss aside and ignore.

I know these people are more often than not in bad situations and it will be a waste of whatever money they have to pay me for an inspection that will in all likelihood get nothing accomplished for them. I instead recommend that they contact their municipal housing authority for assistance. I never hear back from them after this.