K Robertson Guest

Default Attic Conditioned Storage

Ok, in all my time remodeling, building, and inspecting, this one was a new one on me.

I just came from a house built in 1986, original owners. 8 piers were installed around the garage according to their sellers' disclosure. In the attic space above the garage, they had floored the attic for storage, which here in Texas you see all the time, doesn't make it right, I know, but we see it. Well this home owner went one step further.

After flooring the entire attic space over the garage, they built a wall, half way across. They removed all the rafters and purlin supports (they were just in the way now), added an AC Vent and insulation and that easily had conditioned storage space for all their hundreds of collectors books and seasonal clothes. Of course there were no engineer stamps or approvals anywhere.

The Seller's Agent told my client that the foundation company already fixed it and I am just being too picky and they should find another inspector handing "her inspector's" card to him. Gotta just love it.