Default Gas-Fired Range in "Granny" unit

Ok,

In general, my understanding is that open flame, gas-fired heating appliances cannot be installed in bedrooms. This generally means furnaces and water heaters. Around here, "granny" units are fairly common and these often consist of a two room, 645 sq.ft. structure that has a common room that functions as the living room, bedroom and kitchen with a separate bathroom. Can you have a gas range/oven in the kitchen area?

Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Default Re: Gas-Fired Range in "Granny" unit

That should not be a problem as a range is considered an attended illuminating appliances and the operator will be attending it while in operation, unlike gas furnaces and water heaters which are designed to come on automatically at any time of the day ... or night.

*COULD* it be used for heating? Yep, and it comes with a warning *NOT TO* use it for that.

Just like *COULD* you park your car in your living room, yet that would not make the living room a "garage". I bring this example up because, in South Florida, in a bad part of Miami, a person brought their car into their living room through the sliding glass door, and ended up dying from CO poisoning because they were "warming the car up" in the living room. They were "protecting their car from getting stolen" and ended up killing some of their family.

Thus codes do not, cannot, address *WHAT COULD BE DONE*, just what the intent is.

Stupid people can do some really stupid things.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Jerry. I figured that would be the case, but I become concerned when I am unable to find a specific reference or answer in a code. It it difficult to know when something is not addressed in the code as opposed to me missing the reference.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    It it difficult to know when something is not addressed in the code as opposed to me missing the reference.
    Yep, and that is "not addressed in the code" because it does not fall within the realm of what is addressed in the code and why.

One of the great complaints many have is that *too much is left out of the code*, until *too much is put into the code*, then the complaint is that too much is in the code.

One of those Catch 22 things, danged if you do and danged if you don't.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Hi, all:

Either way - thatsa really nice gas range !

Agree, though, it should be OK (should have an exhaust hood installed to the outdoors - as always)...

CHEERS & Have a great weekend, everyone !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI - BPCPA License #47730

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Duxbury View Post
    Agree, though, it should be OK (should have an exhaust hood installed to the outdoors - as always)...
    Glenn,

In your code up there, an exhaust fan is required for a gas range?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Glenn,

In your code up there, an exhaust fan is required for a gas range?
    Up here what is required is *Supplemental Exhaust*, as necessary, in kitchen (and other areas) regardless if stove is electric or gas.

Regardless, I will always recommend an exhaust fan to be present and turned on when a gas appliance is in use for the health and safety of the occupant (s).