daniel nantell Guest

Default Proper test on Smoke Detectors

My Home Inspector software states you must push test button on smoke detector to test it, , but does that test indicate the smoke detector is working properly or just that it has a good battery in place. I would think you need to test it with a small amount of smoke.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: Proper test on Smoke Detectors

Quote Originally Posted by daniel nantell View Post
    My Home Inspector software states you must push test button on smoke detector to test it, , but does that test indicate the smoke detector is working properly or just that it has a good battery in place. I would think you need to test it with a small amount of smoke.
    DN:

According to UL, CPSC and NFPA 72, the smoke alarm should be tested using the test device located on the smoke alarm or another test method recommended by the manufacturer.

From First Alert:

NEVER use an open flame of any kind to test this unit. You might accidentally damage or set fire to the unit or to your home. The built-in test switch accurately tests the unit’s operation as required by Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. (UL).

By the way, many manufacturers require weekly testing by the home owners. Most require monthly testing.

Canned smoke is great for folks selling smoke in a can. Inspectors gullible enough to purchase and use it should also be canned. They can then get a job in sales at FLIR.

Daniel...

Blanket statement in my reports:

Only the alarm function is tested and not the “smoke detection” capability of any unit. These devises should be routinely checked for proper operation and have their batteries replaced at least annually. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) requires all single-station and multiple-station smoke alarms to be replaced every ten years (NFPA 72 Section 8-3.5). This is because build up of grease and dust, insect infestations, and normal failure rates dictate replacement. It is recommended that at least one dry-powder operative, ABC-type fire extinguisher be kept in the home.

Dave

Mash the button on the device and if it sounds that is about all you can do. The button is the proper method of testing just like the test button on a GFCI or an AFCI.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Mash the button on the device and if it sounds that is about all you can do. The button is the proper method of testing just like the test button on a GFCI or an AFCI.
    Scott: Yep, just like the red button on your cell phone for when the smoke salesman calls.