mathew stouffer Guest

Default Structural Question

I was curious if this is acceptable. It appears they added these to reduce the span of the 2x10 tji floor joists. It's tough to see in the photos the configuration, but please take a look.

Thanks
    Mat

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Structural Question

It's a bit of a 'head scratcher' - why did they add it in the first place? Without seeing more I really can't tell.

The general installation is sloppy and wrong-

Form boards should be removed
    There should be a moisture barrier between the 'posts' and the cement.
    I'm pretty sure tacking together 2X lumber to make posts is wrong.
    I suppose the outer board of the 'posts' acts as a gusset but if/when those replaced with real posts some traditional gussett will be needed.

All that being said, if the pieces of lumber that make up the posts and beam are well secured together it will likely stand for awhile.... but it's really not done right.

mathew stouffer Guest

Thanks Matt,
    The width of that seciton of crawl space was just over 19 feet, so I think they threw that in to reduce the span of the 2X10 tji's. Things looked half assed. Plus it is difficult to see in the pics.

Is there a new kitchen or bathroom with lots of tile? That would be the usual reason for that. Looks better than most applications aside from the wood to ground and all that. Bottom line. If the original structural support appears to be supporting the weight properly there should not be a concern, the added support was to hold as stated first or pianos or heavy furniture.

Chuck U Farley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    I was curious if this is acceptable. It appears they added these to reduce the span of the 2x10 tji floor joists. It's tough to see in the photos the configuration, but please take a look.

Thanks
    Mat
    The wood forms were not removed. Did you probe under them to try and determine if there is a footing? It looks like there are concrete deck blocks on the tops of the concrete pads, is that correct? If so they are not ICCt approved. Are the deck blocks secured to the concrete pad/restrained from lateral movement? Any time you've got a wood pier, especially some 2by's nailed together it's questionable.

Ditto all of what Matt said.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant