Default ladder stand-off

I couldn't find the old thread about ladder stand-offs, but here's a photo of what I was describing in the thread -- how I sometimes use the stand-off to help me get from a lower sloped roof to an upper roof.
    The ladder is standing on a sloped roof, and without the stand-off to stabilize and kind off "hold onto" the upper roof, it would have been dicey. This way it was solid as a rock.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: ladder stand-off

Yup - that's the one I use, also.

My other favorite are the extension handles which allow you to step through the ladder - especially nice when - as was the case this morning - even my 32' ladder barely reached the eave:

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    I couldn't find the old thread about ladder stand-offs, but here's a photo of what I was describing in the thread -- how I sometimes use the stand-off to help me get from a lower sloped roof to an upper roof.
    The ladder is standing on a sloped roof, and without the stand-off to stabilize and kind off "hold onto" the upper roof, it would have been dicey. This way it was solid as a rock.

I love the look on people's faces when I 'leapfrog' up a couple tiers of the roof. It's really not that sketchy in most cases. The one that really gets them is when I straddle my ladder across a ridge of a lower level to jump up to the top. I don't have attachments but those look pretty handy.

Do y'all charge extra for those acrobatic displays of inspection prowess? Makes me glad that most of the roof's I look at are 10/12 pitch or better!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Do y'all charge extra for those acrobatic displays of inspection prowess?...
    Yes. It's in the fine print of my contract, under "Evel Knievel surcharge".

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Daniel Leung Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    my 32' ladder barely reached the eave:
    It is good to have ladder extention, please watch this video - WorkSafeBC Videos - You're a Pro: Falls from ladders - Sun May 10, 2009

Spooky video.. I could NOT watch it twice.

I gotta', say: I love those extensions.

You can see in that picture exactly how it works: you get the top rung of the ladder just a bit above the roof and step right through between the extensions, they're nice and wide with a smooth profile so you don't get clothing or tools hung up on them even in winter, and though I always tie off when possible you really don't need to (unless you are worried about wind) as your weight is always centered on the ladder instead of off to one side as you try to step around it.

And going either up and down the top rung is always readily accessible and visible, you're never groping around with a foot trying to find a rung getting off the roof.

I often use that ladder stabilizer as shown in the first picture because it protects gutters and it is very stable, but you still have to step around the ladder and you still have to step over or around the stabilizer arm on the roof.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 05-10-2009 at 09:24 PM.
    Michael Thomas

Doug P Jones Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Yup - that's the one I use, also.

My other favorite are the extension handles which allow you to step through the ladder - especially nice when - as was the case this morning - even my 32' ladder barely reached the eave:
    that is an excellent device. Anyone know where to buy them?

Bill Gosch Guest

Don't ever get to comfortable on a ladder, accidents do happen and they happen to anyone beginners and pro's. I teach all students safety first and the ladder is second after the electrical on my list. Work smart and work safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Leung View Post
    It is good to have ladder extention, please watch this video - WorkSafeBC Videos - You're a Pro: Falls from ladders - Sun May 10, 2009

After yet another trip up an unlocked 32' ladder to free a rope caught in the cheesy OEM pulley I a bought a couple of used blocks for a sailor friend along with some high quality line used for sheets on sailboats. Another one of those things where my only regret is that I didn't do it years ago.

Michael Thomas

Michael,

Normally that is caused by not having the rope taut, Worn rope, bent bracket that holds the pulley, or cheap ladder.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Angry Re: ladder stand-off

Left my step through safety rails

at a job but found a *really* good price for the replacement:

Safe-T Ladder Extension

Michael Thomas

This is how you reach those high places when the ladder is too short.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Bostick View Post
    This is how you reach those high places when the ladder is too short.
    Huuuge nads right there..

That Cricket Looks like an after thought badly done.
    ( Is there a Cricket height , slope requirement on looks like 48 inch chimney?)

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.