A.D. Miller Guest

Default HGTV - Disposable Junction Box Cover

I found this today on a $900,000, 7-year old home. Top from a can of peanuts. It seems that the electrician was into junk food. I assume that he got his license from a box of Cracker Jacks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Fred Warner Guest

Default Re: HGTV - Disposable Junction Box Cover

Typical cracker-jack electrician!

you stated it is a 7 year old home.

Lets be fair then - can you prove that the electrician put that on the box?
    The homeowner has had 7 years to do crap or have some "handyperson" do crap work.
    It seems that Home Inspectors are quick to accuse the electrician of being sub par. Electricians are known to look down on Home Inspectors the same way.
    Did you ever think to get one to respect your chosen profession you should show the same repect.

No I do not do electrical installations for a living.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ken horak View Post
    you stated it is a 7 year old home.

Lets be fair then - can you prove that the electrician put that on the box?
    The homeowner has had 7 years to do crap or have some "handyperson" do crap work.
    It seems that Home Inspectors are quick to accuse the electrician of being sub par. Electricians are known to look down on Home Inspectors the same way.
    Did you ever think to get one to respect your chosen profession you should show the same repect.

No I do not do electrical installations for a living.
    KH: I my world, "handymen" do not live in $900,000 houses. Raw nerves in electricians-turned-inspectors certainly can be painful, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    KH: I my world, "handymen" do not live in $900,000 houses. Raw nerves in electricians-turned-inspectors certainly can be painful, huh?
    READ my post carefully- I never said a handyman lives in $900,000 houses. I did say that the homeowner has had 7 years to do crap or HAVE A HANDYMAN DO CRAP.

I would bet that the homeowner, the homeowners friend / relative, or a handy man hired by the homeowner placed that cover on that box. They were most likely proud of their resourcefulness too!

What I do find humorous is how professional tradesmen speak badly about Home Inspectors and How Home Inspectors speak badly about professional tradesmen.
    Both sides state they are professional and deserve to be respected. Maybe both sides should stop and listen to each other

Raw Nerve ?? NOT HERE

Inspector ? Installer? Maybe a Home Inspector ? A Plumber ? A duct Man?
    A low Volt Tech? Maybe a contractor? Maybe a retired person with a ton of knowledge?
    Maybe a teacher?

A.D. Miller Guest

READ my post carefully- I never said a handyman lives in $900,000 houses. I did say that the homeowner has had 7 years to do crap or HAVE A HANDYMAN DO CRAP.

I would bet that the homeowner, the homeowners friend / relative, or a handy man hired by the homeowner placed that cover on that box. They were most likely proud of their resourcefulness too!

What I do find humorous is how professional tradesmen speak badly about Home Inspectors and How Home Inspectors speak badly about professional tradesmen.
    Both sides state they are professional and deserve to be respected. Maybe both sides should stop and listen to each other

Raw Nerve ?? NOT HERE

Inspector ? Installer? Maybe a Home Inspector ? A Plumber ? A duct Man?
    A low Volt Tech? Maybe a contractor? Maybe a retired person with a ton of knowledge?
    Maybe a teacher?
    KH: Half, yes 50%, of the new houses I look at have junction box cover plates missing in the attics. Now then, maybe the plumbers, low-volt techs, or other contractors simply stole these, as you insist. I say it is the simpler solution - the electricians simply did not install them in the first place.

KH: Half, yes 50%, of the new houses I look at have junction box cover plates missing in the attics. Now then, maybe the plumbers, low-volt techs, or other contractors simply stole these, as you insist. I say it is the simpler solution - the electricians simply did not install them in the first place.
    I never said that the plumbers,low volt techs, or other contractors stole them!

That part of the post was in reference to the raw nerve remark you made. This is why it was under the "RAW NERVE ? NEVER " part.

If thats the case why are you and your cohorts not screaming at the Inspectors?
    If there are as many as you say then your area has some crappy installers and crappy inspectors. Not sure if I'd want to buy anything there

A.D. Miller Guest

I never said that the plumbers,low volt techs, or other contractors stole them!

That part of the post was in reference to the raw nerve remark you made. This is why it was under the "RAW NERVE ? NEVER " part.

If thats the case why are you and your cohorts not screaming at the Inspectors?
    If there are as many as you say then your area has some crappy installers and crappy inspectors. Not sure if I'd want to buy anything there
    KH:

You mean the municipal inspectors? Surely you jest. That would be the ultimate waste of time.

KH:

You mean the municipal inspectors? Surely you jest. That would be the ultimate waste of time.
    If your not part of the solution - Your part of the problem !

If the municipal inspectors are as bad as you say DO something about it!
    I don't mean just write up HI reports either.

It only takes a spark to start a fire. A few folks started with the Washington DC Inspectors a few years back. The subpar inspectors are no longer there

Fred Warner Guest

There are many tests in life that an electrician goes through. I give an example once in a while when I'm presenting a course on ethics and workmanship. Here's the scenario: An electrician is up in the far recesses of the attic of a 3-story home. He is finishing up tying in a junction box and discovers that he is short 1 red wirenut for the neutrals. He thinks about his options:
    • Crawl across the entire attic, go down the fold-up stairs to the 3rd floor, then second floor, then 1st floor, then past all the owners, friends and guests, then outside and up a long cement stairway to the parking lot, then across the parking lot to the van to get 1 lousy wirenut.Then repeat in reverse this whole trip to get back to that J-box.
    • Borrow the green wirenut I've already put on the equipment grounds (using that on the neutrals) and just make sure they're twisted tightly together and save all the fuss and get this job behind me.
    The choice is what makes the installer an "electrician" or a "trunk-slammer".

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Warner View Post
    There are many tests in life that an electrician goes through. I give an example once in a while when I'm presenting a course on ethics and workmanship. Here's the scenario: An electrician is up in the far recesses of the attic of a 3-story home. He is finishing up tying in a junction box and discovers that he is short 1 red wirenut for the neutrals. He thinks about his options:
    • Crawl across the entire attic, go down the fold-up stairs to the 3rd floor, then second floor, then 1st floor, then past all the owners, friends and guests, then outside and up a long cement stairway to the parking lot, then across the parking lot to the van to get 1 lousy wirenut.Then repeat in reverse this whole trip to get back to that J-box.
    • Borrow the green wirenut I've already put on the equipment grounds (using that on the neutrals) and just make sure they're twisted tightly together and save all the fuss and get this job behind me.
    The choice is what makes the installer an "electrician" or a "trunk-slammer".
    I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that once I was back out at the van to get that wire nut, and a few extra in case I dropped some on my way back across the attic ... I'd also likely become a "trunk-slammer" or at least a "door slammer" , maybe even "kick the stupid tire too" ... all the while whispering not-to-be-said words on my way out and back in.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

If your not part of the solution - Your part of the problem !

If the municipal inspectors are as bad as you say DO something about it!
    I don't mean just write up HI reports either.

It only takes a spark to start a fire. A few folks started with the Washington DC Inspectors a few years back. The subpar inspectors are no longer there
    KH: You are preaching to the choir here. 32 years I have been railing against the AHJs in the area with few results. You must be dealing with pansies up there. These boys are hard-core.