mathew stouffer Guest

Default Roofing questions

Almost all the valley installations around hear are cut valley. I don't see many like this and wanted to get more imput. Furthermore, there was no ice and water shield along the overhang. Is this required in newer homes.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Roofing questions

The "contractor" doesn't know how to install shingles.
    The valleys are just plain wrong and looks like the starter strips were omitted.
    Kiss the manufacturer's warranty goodbye.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

mathew stouffer Guest

Eric,
    Thanks for the reply. The red flag was the lack of ice and water shield, but I was curious about those valleys. They did have a few cut valleys which were intalled correctly. But without ice shield the roof is a leak waitng to happen out here.

That,s the Bob and weave valley. Bob drinks a little and Bob weaves a little. There was definately more drinking than weaving going on there.
    That's the roof that you just didn't feel like going on one day. OOPS, finished, new career.

I see plenty of homeowners who install better valleys than that (that's not saying much).

mathew stouffer Guest

I could not find any requirements for ice and water shield. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    I could not find any requirements for ice and water shield. Anyone know?
    See attached .jpg

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

As far as the valley's are concerned, as long as they have the proper underlayment under the shingles in the valley there's not a problem.

What is ice and water shield?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Carlisle View Post
    What is ice and water shield?
    W. R. Grace's brand of Waterproof Shingle Underlayment (WSU):

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 05-13-2009 at 09:20 AM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Wayne, 2000 IBC says:

1507.2.8.2 Ice dam membrane. In areas where there has been a history of ice forming along the eaves causing a backup of water, a membrane that consists of at least two layers of underlayment cemented together or of a self-adhering polymer modified bitumen sheet shall be used in lieu of normal underlayment and extend from the eave’s edge to a point at least 24 inches (610 mm) inside the exterior wall line of the building.

The "self-adhering polymer modified bitumen sheet" is also known as "ice-and-water shield" ( I believe because W.R. Grace invented the stuff and that was their trade name). I don't have access to 2006 IRC right now, but I believe the requirement is similar.

It's probably not a big issue in your neck of the woods, but I've seen roofers around my area cover the entire roof with it before shingling. I'd hate to be the one who has to strip and reroof in 20-30 years. That stuff doesn't come up easily.

Steve, thanks for the information. You're absolutely correct. The only ice we worry about down here is the ice cubes in our sweet tea!

mathew stouffer Guest

Thanks. What is sweet tea.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Thanks. What is sweet tea.

Yes

When I lived in the North East we actually did drink Iced tea from time to time. When I moved to Florida it seemed like it was some kind of sickness with everyone. I never got it and never took up the wild hunger and craving the Southern folk seem to have for it. I guess babies in the south are weened from Mamma to ice tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    When I lived in the North East we actually did drink Iced tea from time to time. When I moved to Florida it seemed like it was some kind of sickness with everyone. I never got it and never took up the wild hunger and craving the Southern folk seem to have for it. I guess babies in the south are weened from Mamma to ice tea.
    I'm from the Nor'East and we had iced tea up there back then.

Move to Flahda and it was more prevalent, yes, but that was how one dealt with the heat and humidity.

If'n youse be a real Southnar youse be drinkin' suga-watar insted o' dat ice tee stuf.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Mathew, it's tea with a LOT of sugar! That's why us Texans have that "dicky-do" disease. Our tummies stick out farther than our dicky-do!

If'n youse be a real Southnar youse be drinkin' suga-watar insted o' dat ice tee stuf.

Well actually I guess it is suga-watar with a little hint of tea!

Ice/water shield is required here in the City for the 1st 3'. As far as I now many burbs also require first 3'. I've been told some burbs require full ice/water shield on low slope but I don't know that for sure.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"