Default Anyone know what these looked like ?

I inspected a 1963 built home yesterday. The home had these Arvin wall heater controls in each bedroom however the heaters were no longer in the house due to a previous remodel. Anyone know what the heaters actually looked like or how they were mounted? And about what time frame these were commonly in use?

Thanks

Gene

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Anyone know what these looked like ?

Radiant ceiling.

Heating wires lay on/embedded in the ceiling.

DO NOT PUT HOLES through the ceiling (no swag hooks, no hangers, no screws) ... at least not unless you KNOW where the heating cables 'are not'.

By the way, infrared cameras work wonderfully on radiant ceilings - shows just where the heating wires are.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry, yes, I have since found out it is radiant ceiling, just as you said.

Thanks

Gene

I could be wrong, but I do not see how those thermostats can not be used for EITHER baseboards or ceiling heat?

By coincedence, the home I did yesterday morning has the same thermostats on baseboards. I'll be back with pics.

You'll have to take my word for it, thermostats appeared to be similar in style and design, but without the Arvin brand name.

Electrical service was upgraded to 100 amp in 1965.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by John Kogel; 05-12-2009 at 10:52 AM.

The ones in the house I inspected were ceiling heat only. No baseboard heat. So it appears they can be either.

FYI only

Thanks.

Gene

My first house had those exact same thermostats for the ceiling radiant heat. On the ones pictured it looks like it's rubbed off but there's often writing that says 'radiant heat' or something similar. If they're being used for baseboard it's most likely that the ceiling coils gave out and they just used the same thermostat for the new heaters.