Thread: gizmo in attic

Ron Bishop Guest

Default gizmo in attic

I found this gizmo in the attic that I crawled today. Does anyone have an idea what it could possibly be?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: gizmo in attic

Almost looks like an old service panel used as a multi in out j box.
    Bet the inside is a jumble of wires.

Jeff Moore AZ Cert#49250
    Level II Thermographer
    http:www.quantumhomeinspections.com

Low voltage relay center for a low voltage lighting system.

Did it still have the funny low voltage switches and switches all over the house, or were some/many/most/all replaced with regular switches?

I still see some low voltage relays in there, but they may have been abandoned and no longer in use.

More importantly, see that duct work above it? See that insulation showing? That looks like Owl Flex duct and it looks to be shot and in need of replacement.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 05-12-2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: corrected myself from "wiring" system to "lighting" system
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

I generally saw those in master bedroom or utility rooms closets for light control around the home. The master almost always had a group of switches to at least turn on the main lights around the home and other areas in the home would also have 2 to four switches for different groupings of lighting in the home. That is just like the modern homes that are on a computer operated by handheld or even remote operating devices to turn specific things on from afar.

Those LV relays are prob either Remcon or GE, think Pass & Seymour also made them.

PS: another manuf. is Touchplate.

Jerry

Just wondering, did you misspeak, or is it LV light.
    "for a low voltage lighting system"

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Jerry

Just wondering, did you misspeak, or is it LV light.
    "for a low voltage lighting system"

Rick,

I changed it from "low voltage wiring system" to "low voltage lighting system" and kept wondering if that was the best change.

I probably should have said "low voltage wiring system" (what I said originally) "which controls 120 volt lights".

The lights are wired with 120 volts, that enclosure contains relays which turn the lights on and off, the switches are low voltage and the wiring between the switches and that enclosure (controller) are all low voltage.

So I was probably more correct to start with - it is a "low voltage wiring system" ... which controls 120 volt lights.

Is that any better?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thats what it was and what I thought you wanted to say. But wasn't quite sure.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.