mathew stouffer Guest

Default Deck construction

I had to have a glass of sweet tea after this inspection. Aside from the multiple pieces of stacked wood, the builder said the hanger attachement was fine, plus is "passed" inspection in Feb when there was 12 feet of snow on the ground.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Deck construction

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post

multiple pieces of stacked wood, the builder said the hanger attachement was fine, .

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

A.D. Miller Guest

I had to have a glass of sweet tea after this inspection. Aside from the multiple pieces of stacked wood, the builder said the hanger attachement was fine, plus is "passed" inspection in Feb when there was 12 feet of snow on the ground.
    MS: It seems that one of our Texas deck contractors has escaped to Utah!

Is it my imagination ... or it that thing already leaning?

Wait, I get it ... IT WAS MADE THAT WAY!

Did you tell the builder that you would show him where there are a thousand bucks laying around ... then take him up to that deck and point out to the woods and say 'Yes, there are a thousand bucks laying around out there somewhere'.

I bet he bought that too, just like when his worker told him that deck 'was okay'.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mathew stouffer Guest

They had some problems at this place. An addition to the garage was necessary because the house exceeded county height restrictions. The garage entry "header" is span of concrete. It is difficult to see in the photos but it is sagging. Portions of the deck ledger are attached to the area.

The garage entry "header" is span of concrete. It is difficult to see in the photos but it is sagging.

Is it really "sagging" or did poor construction practices just allow that during construction of it? My guess would be that poor construction practices did not properly support the beam during concrete pour and the sag happened then - but that is just a guess.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mathew stouffer Guest

Jerry,
    Possible for sure, but I am going with the sag. Thanks for all the help.

That deck is a great example of something I often talk about.... It sometimes more work to do things wrong than right.

I was thinking the same thing as Jerry when I saw the photos. It's more likely that the form wasn't shored enough and it "sagged" when the concrete was placed. If it deflected (sagged) after it had cured, there would be cracks (more than just normal shrinkage cracks). If there are cracks that aren't visible in the photos, then that's a different story.