Thread: Roof design

Default Roof design

I just have a quick question. What type of roof would you call a roof that slopes toward the middle and is higher on each end, water drains to center and then out a center valley. Reverse gable , dumb...

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Default Re: Roof design

A leak!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    dumb...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Carlisle View Post
    A leak!
    Both those, and maybe describe it as "saddleback".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Seems that "butterfly" comes to mind but that is just a guess. I think I have seen such ascribed to some famous architects but I think "Unconventional" with a problematic design and suspect water proofing would about cover it.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

mathew stouffer Guest

I agree with Jim, it's butterfly. I have several old ITA books with pics of what you just described.

Butterfly. Works" best"... er, "better", anyway, if there is a cricket.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

You guys running around with the butterfly nets, you are chasing after the wrong butterflies ... er ... roofs.

The "butterfly" roof is a typical gable roof inverted with the ridge down and the eaves up. To visualize that think of two shed roofs mated at the low point, like a wide 'V'. Others are like a flattened out 'W'.

These are the only links I found with some photos of a butterfly roof on it: Retro Richmond » Butterfly Roof and Palm Springs Modernism - Alexander Homes Architecture William Krisel

As I could not find a photo of a saddle back roof, or at least what I am referring to (but I have seen these in real life), I have attached a sketch of one. Usually, however, instead of the gables being vertical the gables are leaning outward and the leading edges of the roof are similarly leaning outward to stay in ling with the leaning outward gables. Maybe you guys have a better, or different name for it.

I just think that Tom is not describing a "butterfly" roof.

Tom can clear up what he is describing from the photos and my attempt at drawing the other roof (non-butterfly roof, whatever you call it).

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry, not to disparage your art work, but that looks like a sway back roof, not a saddle back. Maybe the saddle has been on the horses back too long .

That was not the mental picture I got from the OP's description. Maybe he can clear it up for us.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Here is picture, it is the roof over garage. I saw on Google street view before I went to inspection and now I have picture.

Here is yesterdays............

Here is picture, it is the roof over garage. I saw on Google street view before I went to inspection and now I have picture.
    Butterfly (but it's not a pretty butterfly)

I would concur, Butterfly. Makes sense it was a 1963 house. See link :

What is a Butterfly Roof? | eHow.com

One thing to watch for when you see such arrangements - especially at residential construction - is that the water removal system is almost never adequate, nor is it usually designed with an eye for proper operation when all the debris collected at the bottom of that funnel (as in your picture) clogs up the residential size gutters and downspouts into which is usually draining

What's really needed in such cases is a custom-designed conductor head (at least it has that) with a appropriate flashing and overflow provision (don't see that, but might not from the ground) connected to an downspout appropriately sized to handle the expected flow and to limit the likelihood of obstructions (downspout looks undersized to me) and eventually depositing all that water in an "appropriate location" - which if if done right often does not "look right "at residential properties.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 05-14-2009 at 06:23 AM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

I would concur, Butterfly. Makes sense it was a 1963 house. See link :

What is a Butterfly Roof? | eHow.com
    Better yet, for better descriptive photos, see the photos in the links I provided below.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    These are the only links I found with some photos of a butterfly roof on it: Retro Richmond » Butterfly Roof and Palm Springs Modernism - Alexander Homes Architecture William Krisel

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Jerry, not to disparage your art work, but that looks like a sway back roof, not a saddle back. Maybe the saddle has been on the horses back too long .
    I've seen a few of those roofs, they have the prow (leading edge) angled outward, usually front and back, and they are all compound curves, with the ridge swooping down toward the center and the sides sloping (and somtimes swooping in a curve) toward the eaves. With the way those compound curves are, the water runs laterally across the shingles instead of vertically down the shingles, they are real pain to install, and are prone to leaking.

"Swayback" might indeed be a better word for them.

I could not find much on "swayback" roofs either, except for this: http://river-flow.org/art&architecture9.php
    Expressions of Taiwan's Classical Architecture
    The beauty and uniqueness of Taiwan's classical architecture are concretely expresses in the designs of swayback roofs, doorways and windows. Their designs reflect wisdom, aesthetic understanding, and love for future generations of the forefathers.
    1. Swayback roofs: There are eight types of swayback roofs which represent five elements to enrich and balance family life.
    A. Single-flat: represents earth;
    B. Double-flat: represents earth;
    C. Single-arc: represents wood;
    D. Triple-arc: represents water;
    E. Acute-angle: represents fire;
    F. Multi-angle: represent fire;
    G. Multi-lateral: represent wood;
    H. Mixed-shape

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com