Ryan Stouffer Guest

Default Vent pipe covers

Is this an acceptable way to cover a sewer vent pipe? I don't think that I have ever seen metal over a plastic sewer vent.

Thanks,

Ryan

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Vent pipe covers

No.

Not acceptable at all - it is completely the wrong type of flashing, and the only proper way to fix it is to remove that and install the proper flashing.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Jerry, so the correct flashing is the typical rubber or plastic material that you usually see, correct?

Thanks,

Ryan

Thumbs down Re: Vent pipe covers

Ryan, Jerry's post is just his opinion, "Not acceptable at all - it is completely the wrong type of flashing, and the only proper way to fix it is to remove that and install the proper flashing." This flashing could be sealed and a collar installed and it would work fine, May not be the norm but "acceptable", for keeping rain from entering the attic. Don't tell anyone how to repair anything, or what is acceptable. The seller seals that flashing and Jerry rejects it and it is Jerry's Butt in a sling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stouffer View Post
    Jerry, so the correct flashing is the typical rubber or plastic material that you usually see, correct?
    If you are looking for failure in the future when the rubber dries out and cracks , otherwise install a real lead flashing over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mount View Post
    Ryan, Jerry's post is just his opinion, "Not acceptable at all - it is completely the wrong type of flashing, and the only proper way to fix it is to remove that and install the proper flashing." This flashing could be sealed and a collar installed and it would work fine, May not be the norm but "acceptable", for keeping rain from entering the attic. Don't tell anyone how to repair anything, or what is acceptable. The seller seals that flashing and Jerry rejects it and it is Jerry's Butt in a sling.
    Ryan,

Always use caution when reading anything Minimalist Tony writes as he "accepts" stuff which is not done correctly as meeting his level of "acceptable", unlike most of us here who believe our clients deserve, and are paying for, things done correctly.

Then again, Diamond Tony would take the diamond ring he found on the dresser and say "finders keepers, losers weepers", or the cash found in the wall, or ... just a total lack of ethics there ... so why not look out for the seller instead of your client ... (Note to clarify this last statement: Tony told us both things here on this board. Tony, correct me if I am incorrect and misunderstood what you said.)

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 05-19-2009 at 01:30 PM. Reason: added: (Note to clarify this last statement: Tony told us both things here on this board. Tony, correct me if I am incorrect)
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    No.

Not acceptable at all - it is completely the wrong type of flashing, and the only proper way to fix it is to remove that and install the proper flashing.
    JP: Though it is an ugly installation you could salvage it with a storm collar.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Why?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Why?

I will add to Scott's "Why?" by asking "How?".

Meaning "How would you do it correctly with a storm collar?".

First, you are improperly using an improper flashing and you would be attempting to add an improper piece to an already improper flashing.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

I will add to Scott's "Why?" by asking "How?".

Meaning "How would you do it correctly with a storm collar?".

First, you are improperly using an improper flashing and you would be attempting to add an improper piece to an already improper flashing.
    JP and Scott: I did not say you should, only that you could add a storm collar.

JP and Scott: I did not say you should, only that you could add a storm collar.

Well, yeah, you COULD take a leather belt, wet and soak it in water, stretch it, then tie a belt around the top of that flashing, and, when the belt dries and shrinks it should be held nice and tightly.

But that is not the way you presented "could".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Well, yeah, you COULD take a leather belt, wet and soak it in water, stretch it, then tie a belt around the top of that flashing, and, when the belt dries and shrinks it should be held nice and tightly.

But that is not the way you presented "could".
    JP: Coulda, woulda, shoulda, but damn, did not.

Thumbs down Re: Vent pipe covers

Jerry, you know darn well you are incorrect, The damage is done so who cares if its true or not.

Last edited by Tony Mount; 05-19-2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: to much info

Lead plumbing boots are not used in all parts of the US.

The joys of opinions, here mine.
    Yes you can install a storm collar and caulk the crap out of it with solar seal or butyl. It will likely last a long time. However, what you are essentially providing is a repair solution that a) will fail and b) will require maintenance
    The "correct" way of course would be to replace the flashing with the right one. Either the full neoprene style or the sheetmetal style with the neoprene collar around the top.
    Fight away

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mount View Post
    Jerry, you know darn well you are incorrect, The damage is done so who cares if its true or not.
    I care if it is true, I am remembering it as you told it, correct me if I am wrong so I can remember it differently.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Lead plumbing boots are not used in all parts of the US.

I know, sometimes they use those cheap rubber ones, that is why I also referenced them too "If you are looking for failure in the future when the rubber dries out and cracks , otherwise install a real lead flashing over it."

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I've got some buddies that install roofs for a living. They say that they see more of the lead ones fail than the rubber ones. I'm pretty sure it all comes down to the competence of the installer. I would say that the rubber ones are easier to install, which is probably why they are seeing less issues with them.

I tend to see issues with both systems. The rubber boots crack, and the lead caps are often not properly installed. For the price, most people would probably rather just replace/ repair the damaged rubber boots.

As for the initial post/ picture. There are plenty of ways that you could make that work, but I'd never sign off on something that was not designed for that purpose........... just in case.