Default I Just Had to Laugh

Good morning, Gents –

In addition to Inspection News, I participate in a number of different fora, one of which is a medical forum where a recent poster has been spewing nonscientific gobbledygook parading as scientific fact.

I had to laugh when reading the following response because by changing just two words in the last paragraph (the name of the poster and the topic under discussion), the commenter perfectly reflects the recent comments by a notable character on this forum.

So, this sort of nonsense goes on elsewhere - here is what was posted:

As usual, when someone advocating pseudoscientific nonsense comes here and meets science-based objections to his woo, he usually goes through at least three or four steps:

1. Shock. The advocate is shocked that his pseudoscientific blather is not immediately taken seriously and that the list denizens are telling him it's nonsense. It never occurs to him that his favored woo may well have been discussed on this list many, many times before and that he is not making any arguments that have not been considered and refuted by science many, many times before.

2. Argument. As the advocate encounters resistance, he will try to argue his position and end up digging himself into a deeper and deeper hole with every post.

3. Anger. As the advocate repeatedly fails to make coherent arguments or to convince anyone, he starts becoming abusive and sometimes even making vaguely threatening remarks.

4. Dismissal. The advocate either runs away or is booted from the forum by a moderator for increasingly abusive behavior.

Right now, Al is clearly somewhere between 3 and 4. Hopefully he will get to 4 expeditiously, because he has become increasingly tiresome with his radon woo.

Just stirring the pot to keep things interesting...

CaoimhÃ*n P. Connell
    Forensic Industrial Hygienist
    Forensic Industrial Hygiene

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG