Roger Kautz Guest

Default What type of exterior is this?

Here we go again. Some siding material I haven't seen before. I have read through this section and found other posts about various EIFS materials, but I am not sure this is any of those. A Realtor at an open house asked me about two new homes, and what material is on the front faces. First it looks like EIFS, but up close it seems extremely light. It seems like some type of frothy cement mixture sprayed or brushed over foam board (and foam forms). There are no joints or expansion cracks. If I tap on it, it seems to have little substance, but still the surface is solid. With a mirror at the bottom, I could see it is about 2 " thick, with some white foam board visible, and plywood behind that. I could not see evidence of space for moisture to run down a vapor barrier, but there are noticable openings where this stuff sits on top of brick half walls ( with flashings). I though the curious thing is that it looks like they formed the walls, window frames, ledges, blocks for lanterns and house numbers, and then just sprayed this stuff over all of that and anything else that did not move. Then they painted it. In the photos, most everything that is not brick or glass is covered with this. What is it called? Any experience with it long term?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: What type of exterior is this?

It looks like EIFS and what you described sounds like EIFS.

Maybe Scott P. has some more information as he knows more about the various types of EIFS and their materials.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Roger,

If your not familar with EIFS, you should recommend that your client call someone who is and have them inspect it.

You don't want the liability of it if your not familar with it. Too many issues can be wrong with it.

rick

hey all

this is something you can all try when determining eifs and stucco. get yourself a strong magnet--strong. and put it up against the eifs/stucco. if the magnet attracts to siding it is stucco, because of the metal mesh. if not, eifs. this does always work, pending the depth of surface compound.

give it a try and let me know

happy eifs to all

charlie

that was "this does not always work"

cvf

If you are seeing foam board and wood substrate then chances are that you are looking at some form of EIFS. The finish coat if done properly will look seamless. It is rare to see the lamina sprayed on, it is done but is not that common on residental construction. Most of the time the lamina is troweled onto the wall. It has the consistency of a real, real thick paint or if you know what Grits are, thin grits!

All of the raised or formed areas that you are talking about are just sculptured foam. On the base of the wall did you see any mesh like material? If the system was installed properly you should not have been able to see any foam or substrate wall.

I would tell them that they should have an inspection of the cladding by an expert in synthetic cladding's based on what you have described.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Roger Kautz Guest

I appreciate the responses to my post. Each little piece helps with the puzzle. This was not a client at all; simply a Realtor asking my opinion. coincidentally. the next day I saw another type of EIFS that first looked similar, but on closer examination had very different application details. The owner here specifically said that this was Dryvit, a product developed in Germany. After some research, I am sure that the original house I saw was probably also Dryvit, but probably applied properly, with drainage planes and openings, and complete finishing so no mesh was visible. The Realtor has said it was built by a "European" company. I am not sure what they are doing in Wisconsin, but it might explain the different approaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Kautz View Post
    with some white foam board visible, and plywood behind that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Kautz View Post
    After some research, I am sure that the original house I saw was probably also Dryvit, but probably applied properly, with drainage planes and openings, and complete finishing so no mesh was visible.

Roger,

This is what does not go together in those two posts.

"with some white foam board visible" and "and complete finishing so no mesh was visible"

When installed properly (but not yet finished), the foam is back wrapped with the mesh and you see mesh and not foam.

When finished properly you do not see the mesh, all you see is the finish top coat.

Because you stated that you can see the foam ... that is an indication that "it IS NOT installed properly".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Stephen Meyer Guest

It is hard to tell what the finish is and the type of drainage system if any. STO, Dryvit, Synergy, Masterwall, Parex all have similar systems, The grade termination of eifs can either be backwrapped or set in a track. I have attached a Dryvit pdf for their residentiaon system with drainage. Depending when the homewas built, determines the need for drainage plane, which is required in R1-R4 construction. If it was a rolled on membrane, you will not see any paper dangling. Parex is blue, sto orange, dryvit, do not remember. The house should be inspected by an EIFS certified inspector. AWCI has a list that you can request. I am on there, but do not like Wisconson........The two systems Dryvit use are a track or a drainage strip. The strip requires backwrapping, the track does not.

Today I did a review for a Stucco new home that the owner wanted a shiny, smooth finish with an elastomeric finish. Really sloppy. Will send some pics. Thought of Jerry when I looked at the weep screed. Used J channel, no holes....

sm

Attached Files Attached Files