A.D. Miller Guest

Default Another Electrician Arguing

It is the installing electrician's contention that this installation is compliant because it is an appliance pigtail (top photo). I say, no matter what the type of cable, it is still in harm's way. Any help?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: Another Electrician Arguing

It is relatively clear that, if I need answers on this forum anytime soon, I need not ask electrical questions.

So far I have only 300.4 for this issue. Any more, or should I just quit asking?

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    It is relatively clear that, if I need answers on this forum anytime soon, I need not ask electrical questions.

So far I have only 300.4 for this issue. Any more, or should I just quit asking?

Aaron,

We are not always on this forum, and in fact we are not always on the computer, and in fact the computer is not always 'on'.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

What appliance does that come from and is that NM cable or cord and plug with the plug cut off? Referring to the one on the left, the one on the right is obviously wrong.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    What appliance does that come from and is that NM cable or cord and plug with the plug cut off? Referring to the one on the left, the one on the right is obviously wrong.
    JP: Cord and plug connectoed to gas cooktop for ignitor.

A.D. Miller Guest

Aaron,

We are not always on this forum, and in fact we are not always on the computer, and in fact the computer is not always 'on'.
    JP: What happened to all that multi-tasking ability?

or cord and plug with the plug cut off?
    JP: Cord and plug connectoed to gas cooktop for ignitor.
    You meant to say "cord and plug with the plug cut off", right?

You know that is not right, that voids the listing on the cord and plug set. That is:
    - 110.3(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.

If it was a cord and plug, in addition to the above would be:
    - ARTICLE 400 Flexible Cords and Cables
    - - 400.7 Uses Permitted
    - - 400.8 Uses Not Permitted

If not cord and plug, then it would need to be secured within 12" of that box, not against the drawer guide, and other things. And, depending on what type of cable it was, it would have to meet the requirements for that type of cable, which would include securing and supporting and protection from physical damage, which then takes you back to your 300.4.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

JP: Just noticed I said it was connectoed. Is that like cross-fingered?

JP: What happened to all that multi-tasking ability?
    I was multi-tasking, just the computer was not one of them.

Eating lunch, reading the paper, watching the water rise from all the rain ... what was that song Johnny Cash sang 'It's 5 feet high and rising'. YouTube - Johnny Cash - Five Feet High And Rising

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

I was multi-tasking, just the computer was not one of them.

Eating lunch, reading the paper, watching the water rise from all the rain ... what was that song Johnny Cash sang 'It's 5 feet high and rising'. YouTube - Johnny Cash - Five Feet High And Rising
    FYI: I just went to reinspect the issues and Sparky, overwhelmed by the massive amount of information in disagreement with his opinion, put the offending cable in Schedule 80.

FYI: I just went to reinspect the issues and Sparky, overwhelmed by the massive amount of information in disagreement with his opinion, put the offending cable in Schedule 80.
    AND ... hopefully he did not use a cord and plug set with the plug cut off.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller

This is the third time that you have complained that no one has answered your question in under a 1/2 hour.

This is an all volunteer forum. There is no one who is designated to monitor the forum and answer your question or anyones question in a specific amount of time or any time ever for that matter. Yes, there are several members who tend to hover around the board and answer questions more frequently than others. It is not their job, it is a courtesy. If everyone in the world chooses to ignore your question indefinitely, that is perfectly within the forum rules and common practices. Scolding everyone for not spoon feeding the answers to you in an instant does not endear you to the forum. Put on your big boy pants and stop whining that nobody loves you.

I would kindly suggest that you adjust your expectations to better match reality. If the forum finds your question worthy of reply, we will respond at a time that makes us happy. I would recommend you allow at least 2 hours at a minimum for an initial response. Often the first response is just to gather more information. You might even take some time to research the question on your own while waiting for others to ASSIST you.

Remember the information offered here is often just someones unfounded opinion and may have no basis in fact, logic or reference. You may still need to verify the information from alternate definitive sources to be confident in its validity.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

A.D. Miller Guest

This is the third time that you have complained that no one has answered your question in under a 1/2 hour.
    BR: I am SO sorry.

This is an all volunteer forum.
    BR: Agreed.

Yes, there are several members who tend to hover around the board and answer questions more frequently than others.
    BR: You might notice that I am one of those people.

Put on your big boy pants and stop whining that nobody loves you.
    BR: I am slinking off to sit in the corner, get tiny and put on a pointy hat.

Last edited by A.D. Miller; 05-20-2009 at 02:53 AM. Reason: To be nice to the creep.

A.D. Miller Guest

AND ... hopefully he did not use a cord and plug set with the plug cut off.
    JP: I don't know. It was in conduit - protected - and I was out of there with check in hand.

Wow, what a 'tude....

It ain't over yet, guy, so hang on.

A.D. Miller Guest

DD: Sure enough.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

A.D. Miller Guest

Still waiting on North Carolina to make his move - but, it's dinner time, so gotta go. We'll just leave it like this . . .

I have nothing else to say that could be construed as polite so I to bow to your obvious superior intellect and power.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    I have nothing else to say that could be construed as polite so I to bow to your obvious superior intellect and power.
    As I stated in my revised comment:

BR: I am slinking off to sit in the corner, get tiny and put on a pointy hat.