Thread: Tons of rust

Anthony Alderman Guest

Default Tons of rust

What would you say about this panel box. Inside the box was fine but ,as you can see, outside was #*%@/
    Tony

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Tons of rust

Is it near the ocean?

The nearby meter looks fine but could have been replaced more recently or just painted differently... or at least painted at all.

Anthony. i saw this on a home few years ago and the owner admitted he had used a cleaner on the siding that was not made for siding and it created the rust monster you have.

Anthony Alderman Guest

House is in Durham NC. Meter is fairly new. The cleaning thing does make sense as the rust is so uniform.

If it's just surface rust, I'd just sand it down and hit it with some Rustoleum.

What would I say?

"What a stupid place for a panel. What moron installed that?"

But then around here they're never installed outside.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Interesting. Around here most are installed on the exterior. Something about giving the fire department the ability to kill power to the structure before spraying lots of water or crashing thru walls with energized lines.

The most common installation is a meter panel with up to 6 throws supplying a distribution panel in the garage. Meter panel usually has range or oven, A/C units, and distribution panel. Occasionally dryer and water heater are in the meter panel.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Around here most of the service panels are located in the garage or in the master closet. Yeah, I know.

If the service equipment panel is on the exterior, there must be some locksmith going around and sells everyone of those homeowner a padlock to go on the thing.

I've taken boltcutters to a many of those padlocks to get inspection access.

rick

Here is an AC disconnect panel with similar problem.

House was 26 years old in Durham, NC about 250 miles from the nearest coast.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Carl Fuller Guest

If the interior of the pannel is fine then the question would be is the exterior of the pannel OK. If the problem is lack of paint/sealer that caused the rusting? " recomend repainting/resealing".

Rob Ferguson Guest

I call that a well maintained "patina"

I see panels like that allot around here in various stages. Most where on the west side of the home. The paint fades and becomes chalk "like" then rust appears. Haven't seen one rusted through yet.

The paint on those panels are going to fade overtime just like the old cars you see in a field covered with a nice thin coat of protected rust.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com