Thread: no soffit board

Brian Thomas Guest

Default no soffit board

House I inspected yesterday was missing the entire soffit board on the front of the house. The gutters were just nailed directly into the ends of each porch rafter. My question is, does it matter as long as the gutter is sturdy?

Correction-I meant fascia board not soffit board. Alhough there was no soffit either

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Brian Thomas; 05-20-2009 at 09:40 AM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: no soffit board

I think it's a poor intallation and would never do it that way but it's common, at least in my area. You might mention it to your buyers but you can't really call it wrong.

Brian Thomas Guest

Probably just more aesthetic than anything else?

That would put the gutter supports at every 2 feet, which is likely closer than you normally find gutter supports.

Is some areas of the country, open fascias and open soffits are not allowed.

The edge of the roof sheathing is intended to be nailed along that edge to keep it down during high wind events, and the closed off soffit reduces the pressure on the roof sheathing so it only has to resist uplift from the wind blowing over it, not from the additional pressure of the wind from underneath too.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com