Default Anyone have any ideas that would cause this issue?

When I drained the upstairs tub, the downstairs sink overflowed. Then the sink drains fine. I was thinking the vent? Let me know your thoughts.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Marc M; 01-18-2010 at 09:04 PM.
    OREP Insurance

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Anyone have any ideas that would cause this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    When I drained the upstairs tub, the downstairs sink overflowed. Then the sink drains fine. I was thinking the vent? Let me know your thoughts.

Its broken

Could be a few things like partially bloccked drain and yes poor venting. Y going the wrong way as in pointing up instead of down at the sink connection to the main drain line in the wall etc etc

Like I said

Its broken and needs fixin.

Impossible to tell but there are a few ideas for yeah

Some did not understand the concept of "wet vent".

Possibly combined with, as Ted said, a fitting in backward.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Am i incorrect to assume that wet venting is limited to only three fixtures located on the same level or floor? Excluding a tub. That brings up another question.... If a tub cannot be included, what about a shower enclosure / pan?

I called the broker and she said, well you can just close the stopper at the sink right? Not really a problem right? I still get paid right?

The fact that the pan was leaking and it was raining in the bedroom. Then with the sink overflowing and flooding out the downstairs...it was at the very least entertaining, perhaps not as much for the agent though.

More than likely it is a partial blockage, thats why the sink runs fine. But soon as you give it a large flow of water it will back up. Now normally the tub upstairs would not tie directly into the same drain pipe as the lavatory sink downstairs. If you have a look at the isometric drawing below you see each floor has its own branch line then ties into a common stack. Thats they way it should be and more than likely is plumbed.

BTW the dotted lines are vents and solid lines are the drain lines. (just for those that may not have known.)

And yes wet venting is only allowed on the same floor, and in most areas can not exceed 1 DFU.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Marc,

I had one a few weeks ago that when I drained the master tub, all the water backed up into the kitchen sink and for some reason water was shooting out of the vegetable sprayer. And this was a 1-story home.

Recommended a Plumber and an Exorcism.

rick

Last edited by Rick Hurst; 05-23-2009 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post

Exact same thing occurred on a new house, agent and client was in the kitchen and saw the backup, I was upstairs draining a tub.

Got the plumbing crew out there and I don't think they even went into the house, they went straight to a cleanout port by the side street (house was on a corner) and started looking and scratching....I asked them if they found the problem and they mumbled something and went to the truck and started shuffling around looking for a tool or something, I went back in and finished the inspection.

Talking Re: Anyone have any ideas that would cause this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Marc,

I had one a few weeks ago that when I drained the master tub, all the water backed up into the kitchen sink and for some reason water was shooting out of the vegetable sprayer. And this was a 1-story home.

Recommended a Plumber and an Exorcism.

rick
    LMAO!