Michael Vasquez Guest

Default two service meters; one property

I came across two service meters at a condo I was inspecting. One of the meters was located on the outside of the building and the other was located in the garage. Both meters were spinning. I have never seen this before and would like some help.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: two service meters; one property

I've seen this before, but one of the meters actually was to HOA provided services like the sprinkler system, pool, parking lot lights and any signage that may be present.

rick

Rick is correct.

Typically one would be for the unit and one for the "house panel" which supplies the common property items.

However, your question raises another question: Where was the electrical service equipment located?

I ask because typically the meters are located with the electrical service equipment, and for condos that usually means grouped in one location or grouped in several locations (depending on the condo building and how it was wired).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Vasquez Guest

Jerry, the main disconnect and one of the service meters were located on the outside of the structure. The main and sub panels and the second service meter were located in the garage of the condo.

Thanks

M.Pondo Guest

Well it sounds like a permit should have been pulled for that garage..

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Vasquez View Post
    Jerry, the main disconnect and one of the service meters were located on the outside of the structure. The ... panels and the second service meter were located in the garage of the condo.
    It is possible that the a previous owner had the second meter installed to monitor their usage, the other meter, or some specific equipment for some reason (which is no longer known).

If you have money and want your own meter to watch spin around, you can have one installed.

Being as that was a condo and not likely to have any electrical equipment installed worth monitoring separately (like a work shop, etc.), it is possible that the interior meter is only reading the electrical usage of the air conditioning system.

That is just one possibility out of many, but the one which would make the most sense "in a condo".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by M.Pondo View Post
    Well it sounds like a permit should have been pulled for that garage..
    Just curious how you made the leap from the above information to 'no permit had been pulled for the garage' - did I miss something?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

M.Pondo Guest

Here in NC our electric providers have been reading meters with binoculars if there is a fence preventing a visual reading of KW hours. just within the past two years they have obtained the capability to ride by the residence and get readings with an electronic instrument . I have found lots of meters enclosed here that turned out to be enclosed patios , add ons ect . When I see the meter inside here I have to wonder if the room was added and if the work done looks smart. Typically we just dont enclose meters here NC and SC .

Quote Originally Posted by M.Pondo View Post
    Typically we just dont enclose meters here NC and SC .
    We don't down here either.

But with there being two meters installed (one outside by the other meter and the one inside), it raises the potential of a previous owner trying to monitor the use of something.

Without knowing more than we know, there is really no way to do anything but guess at it - which we both did.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John Steinke Guest

Different building, different services .... where's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by John Steinke View Post
    Different building, different services .... where's the problem?
    The way I'm reading what Michael said was that it is one building. Still, two meters on one building is not a problem (no one said it was a "problem"), just discussing the "why" one of them "is in the garage" and the other one is "outside on the exterior".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

M.Pondo Guest

I would instruct the clients to contact the local utility company recieving the monthly bill to determine what,where and why. I wouldn't speculate in my report . I would of course look at both meters to see if equipment looks smartly installed and decide which would be the service by the size of the panels provided.