Default Smoke on the Water

On one of my inspections today, I ran across something I have never seen....or noticed. When I ran the hot water faucets, smoke emitted from the faucets. This was not smoke from overheating or fire but rather from some sort of a chemical reaction as far as I can tell. The house had a 9 year old gas water heater, the temperature was on "vacation" setting so the water was only warm. The water was cloudy as you can see from the pic and if you look closely, you can see a smoke swirling around the spout. The house had been sitting for a good while unoccupied but the water did not smell. Of course I suggested for the tank to be drained and flushed. Has anyone else seen this or know what could have caused the "smoke"?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Smoke on the Water

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Keith View Post
    On one of my inspections today, I ran across something I have never seen....or noticed. When I ran the hot water faucets, smoke emitted from the faucets. This was not smoke from overheating or fire but rather from some sort of a chemical reaction as far as I can tell. The house had a 9 year old gas water heater, the temperature was on "vacation" setting so the water was only warm. The water was cloudy as you can see from the pic and if you look closely, you can see a smoke swirling around the spout. The house had been sitting for a good while unoccupied but the water did not smell. Of course I suggested for the tank to be drained and flushed. Has anyone else seen this or know what could have caused the "smoke"?
    Lime away to clean out the pipes. Either that or muriatic acid to clean out the pipes and whiten the teath

I did wish that I new. Sorry cannot help.

I'm thinking bacteria in the water heater. And now in the hot water lines.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Creedence Clearwater Revival?
    Cheech & Chong?

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Creedence Clearwater Revival?
    Cheech & Chong?
    Ummm....I think that was Deep Purple, hard to remember those days for some reason.

M.Pondo Guest

I think Jerry got it right do you guys remember a story about a dishwasher that blew up on an inspection a few years back and that you should always run the hot side faucet for a few minutes in a vacant home .I do this out of habit when I hit the kitchen. Yes it was a very old dishwasher Rotary dials I believe 1 spark. Sulfer reducing bacteria which releases hydrogen sulfide gas hence the smell from water mostly related to homes on wells.The type of anodide rod in the water heater can resolve this situation. I believe zinc is the answer.

It was Deep Purple for sure. This was the only song I ever learned to play on an electronic keyboard. I used to play it every Friday night at victory dances after high school football games. One song then Rick left the house.

As far as this smoke, this is why I've always heard that you should run the water for awhile before turning on the dishwasher to flush this bacteria from the water heater.

rick

Wisp of smoke like apparitions? Former owners haunting the home from another dimension!

If it was bacteria I would think that it would have an odor. The exploding dishwasher was due to the buildup of hydrogen sulfide, it has a sulfur odor.

This is one of those things that you just have to say I don't know.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Talking Need to test

You can test for explosive gases:
    get the Realtor to hold a candle next to it while you go to the store......

If it doesn't blow up but you suspect poisonous gases, get the Realtor to inhale very deeply, too.

Check the trap or lack thereof.
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Mike Truss Guy Guest

Are we sure that this is not simply water vapor? I could easily see it happening if your local water pressure is high and the water heater is set too hot, but since you said it is only warm maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Truss Guy View Post
    Are we sure that this is not simply water vapor? I could easily see it happening if your local water pressure is high and the water heater is set too hot, but since you said it is only warm maybe not.
    No, the temperature was only warm...at the time I took the pic was before I noticed the tank on the vacation setting. Turned it up and the hotter the water, the more "smoke" came out. The faucet pressure was barely running. I ran the hot water for at least an hour and it still did this.

what could have caused the "smoke"?
    Water Vapor.

Faucet Aerate with a Partial blockage.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Water Vapor.

Faucet Aerate with a Partial blockage.
    The aerator is missing.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The aerator is missing.
    Probably.
    * attachment of inside, outside thread adapter ( with aerator. )

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Probably.
    * attachment of inside, outside thread adapter ( with aerator. )
    I am aware of those, however, the outside thread one screw up into the the fitting. The photo shows outside threads, indicating that the inside thread aerator is not installed, i.e., is missing. The threads on the outside threaded aerators is not visible after it is screwed in place.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I am aware of those, however, the outside thread one screw up into the the fitting. The photo shows outside threads, indicating that the inside thread aerator is not installed, i.e., is missing. The threads on the outside threaded aerators is not visible after it is screwed in place.
    Mr. Peck,

The attachment ( photo) has threads that screw into the faucet and has an aerate that goes inside the faucet downspout, then has exposed threads to attach a cap , pet washer or other accessory.

Is this one in the shown Photo?

Don't know.

Kent got a good look at it, ( he did ask what could cause it. )

Based on the descriptions, and lack of an odor, I'd suggest that it's just a lot of various gases that have dissolved into the water while under pressure, and are now coming out of solution after the pressure is taken off. A simple test would be to run some into a glass, and see if it doesn't start out cloudy, but clears up within a couple of minutes. Possibly some sort of natural carbonation. Leads to two more questions. Is this on a well, and where might the water under pressure be coming into contact with a lot of air, possibly in a half filled water heater??? Good mystery here!

Yep, Jerry is right....I took the aerator off this particular sink because it sprayed really hard and was splattering everywhere....small wet bar sink. The other sinks showed the "smoke" a little with aerators but it was more prominent at this sink when the water flow was low....allowed more area in the pipe to emit the "smoke". I keep using the term "smoke" because it did not come out like steam but rather danced and swirled out just like smoke. Really weird, kinda freaked out the buyer. I told her to keep me posted if she bought the house and had the tank flushed if that solved the problem.

Yep, Jerry is right.....
    Okey Dokey,

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

I still think that it might be aunt Norma trying to reach out and say Hi!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I still think it is bacteria in the tank which is causing the problem.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Smile Re: Smoke on the Water

Bryan Frazer Guest

Maybe the city has purged the water mains after the house was occupied. The house water then is de-pressurized then re-pressurized with water and air when the mains are refilled. So what you see now is fine air bubbles in water and the mist that that comes our of good beer just as you open it. i.e. effervescent water! Poltergeists is a close second.

M.Pondo Guest

I like Jerry Pecks answers he helps you get your report done the same day by giving actual data instead of mystical hunches.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by M.Pondo View Post
    I like Jerry Pecks answers he helps you get your report done the same day by giving actual data instead of mystical hunches.

But could be completely wrong. Yes everyone wants to give their opinion but all the opinions may be wrong. A water test and a plumber are in order.

Smoke production from water........ Not cool..... and needs further evaluation. More than likely the water heater is the culprit but it is still and unknown.

Mystical hunches could all be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    A water test and a plumber are in order.
    That was the advice I gave the buyer. She got a kick out of this thread and said she will let me know what is found....I'll post later.