Thread: Infrared photo

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Infrared photo

This is an area where I think the water heater flue passes through the wall heading towards the attic. Any additional thoughts on whether B vent could increase drywall temps to 90 degrees even with the 1 inch of required clearance. The area is located to the upper right of the small door.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Kevin Luce Guest

Default Re: Infrared photo

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    This is an area where I think the water heater flue passes through the wall heading towards the attic. Any additional thoughts on whether B vent could increase drywall temps to 90 degrees even with the 1 inch of required clearance. The area is located to the upper right of the small door.
    That is a bad IR picture. Can you combine the pictures so we know where the warmer area is located on the wall?

mathew stouffer Guest

Don't have that software.

I would guess that what you are seeing is the vent pipe itself. It is hotter at the bottom and it gets cooler as it goes up the pipe.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

This is an area where I think the water heater flue passes through the wall heading towards the attic.

Mat,

I am guessing that you mean the water heater is in that closet, the B vent goes into the wall and then turns and goes up into the attic.

First question would be: Why did they just not run the B vent from that room straight up into the attic?

Second question would be: How thick is that wall? A standard 2x4 wall is not thick enough for a B vent at only 3-1/2", even a 2x6 wall is not thick enough for a B vent to be inside the wall with proper clearances.

Third question would be: (well, I have to wait until the first two questions are answered to know what to ask next)

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Jerry Peck; 05-28-2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: realized I forgot to add photo I annotated
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

An oval B-vent will fit - without clearances. 90 degrees is about what I've found in the past.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

mathew stouffer Guest

Jerry,
    That small door is a coat closet. On the back side of it is the garage utility closet housing the water heater. The vent penetrates the wall on the back side of the closet, then heads into the attic. But it first crosses through the ceiling over the hallway/foyer. It does not go straight up because there is a bathroom above it. I can't determinethe ceiling or wall thickness. There appears to be a void beside the closet which also houses the furnace vent.

mathew stouffer Guest

Plus here is how they attached the furnace to the joist. You were right.

Ron Bibler Guest

The temps you have may be higher then you think. if you have 80degrees off to the side what is the temp in the center and on the back side of the sheet rock next to the pipe ?

It looks like the vent pipe may be in contact with the sheet rock.
    What you may want to look for is leaks. from what i can see in you image you may have some.
    If you can step back 10 feet and switch to a Black/white take a few shots with black-hot and the try white-hot.

I like to switch palettes around hit helps with the Focus.

Best

Ron

mathew stouffer Guest

Thanks Ron. The photo in the report was black and white, your are right it is more clear.