Rajiv Khaneja Guest

Default Roof Design Question

Hi All,

Does anybody know if it's ok with BC Building codes to have a step up onto a roof top deck? That is to say that inside the house on the second floor there is one to two steps up and a small landing leading to an exterior door?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Roof Design Question

It may be fine. New construction or old? Door swings in, out, or a slider? How big of a landing, located where? Is this an egress for fire safety? Building under a permit or just planning?

Quote Originally Posted by Rajiv Khaneja View Post
    Does anybody know if it's ok with BC Building codes to have a step up onto a roof top deck?
    Not sure about BC building code, but codes in general would say okay ... but ...

And the 'okay ... but ... ' would be that the stairs were proper, the door did not swing over the stairs (meaning there is a properly sized landing inside where the door swings in over the landing), there is a proper railing around the deck, there is a light at that exterior door, and all the other things which would be required.

I.e., if all conditions meet the requirements for stairs, decks, protection from falling, etc., there is likely no prohibition against doing that. There would be a prohibition against doing it incorrectly, though, just like there is a prohibition against doing other things incorrectly.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Joao Vieira Guest

I would just note the potential need for walk pads, depending on the roof material. If there is moderate foot traffic (I can't imagine other kind of traffic on the roof ), walkpads should be present on membrane/shingle roof to prevent wear and tear of the surface.
    don't know if there is a code it's just common sense

Quote Originally Posted by Joao Vieira View Post
    I would just note the potential need for walk pads, depending on the roof material.

Joao,

The original post said "roof top deck", so I am envisioning a "roof top deck" standing above the roof covering.

If not, you are correct, the roof covering is not intended to be walked on (well, fiberglass roofs are, but I've only seen two fiberglass roofs, they were like walking on the hull of an overturned boat) and would need proper walkways, probably more than just walk pads as they are not really made for use as a "deck", only limited "service walkway use" in most cases.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com