Thread: Artesian Spring

Reggie Russell Guest

Question Artesian Spring

Hey Guys,

Fairly new Inspector here. I tried to do a search with this term and came up empty so I am hoping somebody can help me. I just got a call today from a guy asking about any concerns he should have about a home he is looking at that has an Artesian Spring running under the slab. He was especially concerned about the water tables running so high this year. It is a 4 year old home that has yet to show any foundation movement from the high water. Inspecting a home like this would be my first, can anybody give me some more info and background on this type of thing and some advice I could give my potential client?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Artesian Spring

You can inspect the home, but I would defer to a soils engineer in this particular case. Make sure you defer soils, drainage and springs.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

daniel nantell Guest

My next door neighbors just bought a house with artesian spring running below basement, when she was moving in I found out she was a doll collector and would be storing her dolls in the basement area, I suggested to her that she put life jackets on the dolls to keep their heads above water when the sump fails. The previous owner did not tell them about the water problem and they are thinking of legal actions. they asked me if there is some way to dig down as they live on a hill side and divert the spring around the house area, any ideas.

Weird that this subject came up today. For the last 4 yrs. we have assumed that we had a "spring" at the rear corner of our property. Water seepage has been a biotch to deal with.

I have spent good money on having people look at this only to hear "Learn to live with it."

Today I had a Tree farm planting a large tree in the area of this spring thinking it could maybe absorb some of this water that surfaces to the ground so badly.

As they were digging out this massive hole, we found that a sprinkler line was running directly to this "spring" area. Sure enough, I found a sprinkler head that was completely buried over with soil that kept the head from popping up. The clay soil on top of the head just allowed it to leak below the soil.

I capped off the line to this sprinkler head and within a couple of hrs, the thing is already drying out.

At least the tree, I got on sale and it is nice to look at.

rick

Stephen Meyer Guest

I grew up south of St. Louis and the local town water was artesian springs. Required 800 ft to get to the water table. I would suggest calling the water board and see if the pressure can be relieved. It is like an aquifer under pressure. BYW, the first bottle water was introduced at the 1904 world fair in St. Louis from the clear springs in DeSoto. ($.05) ea.

Now contaminated....

sm

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Russell View Post
    Hey Guys,

Fairly new Inspector here. I tried to do a search with this term and came up empty so I am hoping somebody can help me. I just got a call today from a guy asking about any concerns he should have about a home he is looking at that has an Artesian Spring running under the slab. He was especially concerned about the water tables running so high this year. It is a 4 year old home that has yet to show any foundation movement from the high water. Inspecting a home like this would be my first, can anybody give me some more info and background on this type of thing and some advice I could give my potential client?
    Be honest and tell him the following; "I do not know!"

Springs are something that you just never know about. With so many variables including how the foundation was build to handle the water, you just never know.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Good morning, Reggie:

Just a quick comment on terms. “Artesian springs” have nothing to do with “water tables.” These are geologically different. Water tables are “vadose zone” water and “Artesian springs” are deep water trapped between two layers. The term “Artesian spring” has changed somewhat over the years, and although it has always meant a body of water confined between two impermeable layers, under pressure, the degree of pressure has changed. It used to be that unless the hydrostatic pressure was sufficiently high to push the water to ground level, it wasn’t an Artesian spring. Now, however, some sources merely state that the pressure has to be sufficient to merely push the water above the overlying stratum.

I still prefer the “proper” definition. However, it’s important to seek clarification from the person using the term, since if they are using the term loosely, then the water may enter the vadose zone, and be indistinguishable from the water table.

If they have true “Artesian spring” the GOOD LUCK to them – tell ‘em to cap and either set up a fountain or bottle the stuff and sell it for an exorbitant price in a fancy bottle.

Cheers!
    Caoimhín P. Connell
    Forensic Industrial Hygienist
    Forensic Industrial Hygiene

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

Back in my home town of Mayville, NY, there was an Artesian spring not far from our house, not a high spraying spring, but a bubbling up spring, maybe bubbling up about a foot, maybe just a little less.

Have no idea if it is still there or not. Heck, I doubt I could even remember where it was in the woods, or even if the woods was still there - that was 50 years ago and there might be houses there now.

Very cold and refreshing water, really clear too.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Matt Vozzella Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Back in my home town of Mayville, NY, there was an Artesian spring not far from our house, not a high spraying spring, but a bubbling up spring, maybe bubbling up about a foot, maybe just a little less.

Have no idea if it is still there or not. Heck, I doubt I could even remember where it was in the woods, or even if the woods was still there - that was 50 years ago and there might be houses there now.

Very cold and refreshing water, really clear too.
    We had one near my adopted hometown of Bayville, NJ. My grandparents used to bring us there to fill 5 gallon jugs. Bayville is a coastal town and the water was much better than any city or well water available.