Kevin Luce Guest

Default Jerry Peck, I tried it.

Even though sometimes it doesn't seem like it, I do listen to what people have to say. Well, Jerry Peck wrote many times in the past about Outlets, Receptacles and the NEC book. I decided to change my wording and use the word Receptacle when writing about double taps, reverse polarity, etc. Well, the last few months I've had more clients look at me not knowing what I was talking about. I decided that even though the word Receptacle is the proper word to use, a % of people I do home inspections for understand Outlet rather than Receptacle. If I ever get sued and this is an issue, I just plan of referencing some dictionaries. I just don't think I'm going to lose a case just because I used the word "Outlet" to identify a "Receptacle".

Jerry P., I gave it a try.

Don't think of me as being weak.

Merriam-Webster

out·let

4: a receptacle for the plug of an electrical device

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Jerry Peck, I tried it.

Don't worry about it Kevin. You gotta taylor some things to your audience. For example, I refuse to use the term "hose bib" verbally or in my reports. I call it a spigot. As long as the client understands it and it reduces callbacks, that's what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    Even though sometimes it doesn't seem like it, I do listen to what people have to say. Well, Jerry Peck wrote many times in the past about Outlets, Receptacles and the NEC book. I decided to change my wording and use the word Receptacle when writing about double taps, reverse polarity, etc. Well, the last few months I've had more clients look at me not knowing what I was talking about. I decided that even though the word Receptacle is the proper word to use, a % of people I do home inspections for understand Outlet rather than Receptacle. If I ever get sued and this is an issue, I just plan of referencing some dictionaries. I just don't think I'm going to lose a case just because I used the word "Outlet" to identify a "Receptacle".

Jerry P., I gave it a try.

Don't think of me as being weak.

Merriam-Webster

out·let
    4: a receptacle for the plug of an electrical device
    Kevin,

That's why I keep saying "receptacle outlet" ... not just "receptacle".

If you are going to start the lawn mower, make sure to read the part where it says to keep hands and feet from under the mower, not just the part about how to start it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kevin Luce Guest

I think they still would be confused since I would still be using the word "Receptacle".

Jerry, do you still have that OKI printer? I stopped using mine and I still have a Cyan toner (I bought for $130), Cyan image drum ($105) and the Magenta image drum ($105) still in their boxes. They work for the C5100, 5150. 5300 and 5400 series printers. I'll sell them to you for half the price I got them for and you pay for half the shipping. Let me know if you're interested.

Ron Bibler Guest

Kevin is this something about your area?

Not a problem in my area.

Best

Ron

Russel Ray Guest

I've always used "outlet" since it is only two syllables, so it uses less oxygen when I say it instead of "receptacle." Also, since it is shorter, it uses less toner when I print.

I also use "main panel" and "subpanel" instead of "service equipment" and "electrical panel," again for the same reasons.

LOL

Kevin Luce Guest

I think it might be a regional thing. It's like me saying what is for dinner when I'm referring to lunch. Around here, many would be thinking I'm talking about the evening meal.

Supper was used all the time when I lived in central PA. About the only time I hear it here is when I'm on the phone with the family back in PA. Don't get my wife started on pot pie or barbecue in PA. Completely different than here.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

I will say receptacle outlet in the beginning of the comment or description and then outlet for the remainder of that particular paragraph. I also have a 5 page glossary at the end of my report. I have never had anyone question receptacle outlet, service equipment, grounding electrode. But then again, that is all covered in the glossary.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    Supper was used all the time when I lived in central PA. About the only time I hear it here is when I'm on the phone with the family back in PA. Don't get my wife started on pot pie or barbecue in PA. Completely different than here.

I can relate to that.. Just back from there, got my annual fix of, mint tea, shoe fly pie, teaberry shakes, and supper at the Middleburg hotel.