Thread: Water intrusion

John Stephenson Guest

Mark Nahrgang Guest

Default Re: Water intrusion

After checking the area with a moisture meter and ensuring that it is dry NOW. I would look farther up the roof to determine where the moisture might have come from in the past. I looks to me that it might have been running down the 2x4 from higher up on the roof.

John,

It's of course very common to find such stains but I for one don't recommend contractors come out solely based upon the presence of staining. My report will comment on the stain(s) found and leave it at that. Now of course I have raised a question in the client's mind (a good thing). Client will ask if there's a leak. I say "I have no idea - nothing's leaking right now, why not follow up with the seller? Perhaps get a response in writing and ask for receipts if repair has been made."

This approach has worked quite well. Raising questions causes the client to more likely do some followup on their own after the inspection because there isn't anyway that I'm going to have all the answers. If I can find reasons for my client to become more involved the better it is all the way around.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Is that a gable wall with hardboard siding?

My approach is like Eric's.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Also, remember, once stained, even if during construction, it will always be stained.

I put little faith in water stains on roof sheathing, gable end siding, wall sheathing were exposed to the interior, etc.. It just had to rain once during construction ... or any time since ... but my time machine broke a few years ago so I cannot go back and find out just when the stain occurred and what the cause was.

Now, however, if it was wet when you were there ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Mike Boehmer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Stephenson View Post
    I'm just double checking if everyone agrees with me. You all would be thinking water instrusion from exterior in the circled area of the picture?

Would you comment in your report be something like to "Have contractor ensure water is not entering from the exterior at this location"
    Did you touch the area or do a moisture test? What did it look like on the exterior?

"Water stains visible on interior of siding. Currently not moist or wet. Recommend further investigation"

The overwhelming recommendation of seasoned inspectors and attorneys at continuing ed coferences seems to be to report what you see... as you've done. As with the others, I'd recommended following up with the seller. Are there problems outside? A patch or fresh paint inside?

Those newer sections of underlayment appear recently installed. What is the material? Looks like cement board. Are the shingles new in this area? Were repairs already made?

Is it possible that an attic fan was installed in this location in the past?
    That would explain everything would't it?