Thread: Hello all,

Tony Hipps Guest

Default Hello all,

I'm in Acworth, Ga, it's about 25 minutes NW of Atlanta.

I've been inspecting for about five years part time. Mostly inspecting for friends and relatives and some word of mouth business.

I have about twenty years experience in residential construction, and completed a local home inspection school in 2004.

I've finally decided it's time to start doing some serious marketing and networking and try to make a go at this full time.

I hope to get to know you guys better and learn some things here.

I do have one question right out of the gate.

How can I grow my inspection business without relying on agent referrals? Seems like a conflict of interest to me.

Thanks - Tony Hipps

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Hello all,

The best way to market is a good website with good SEO.

Search engine optimization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, welcome aboard.

Welcome to the place where HI's come to learn.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Darrel Hood Guest

One way I found to grow my business during the start up phase was to "go where the crowd ain't". For example:

I found that the market for resale real estate inspections was flooded with experienced inspectors. I also found that very few inspectors in this area marketed for new construction phase inspections. My background was strong in new construction, so I marketed heavily offering this service and built a good business.

This strategy has its "pros and cons", but it helped me shorten the time to achieve positive cash flow.

Darrel Hood
    DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES

Tony Hipps Guest

Thanks guys,

BTW Darrel, I grew up around Conroe. We've lived in Grangerland, Cut-N-Shoot, Spring, Oak Ridge, The Woodlands and Conroe itself. I miss it down there.

GO Tigers

Last edited by Tony Hipps; 06-03-2009 at 04:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hipps View Post
    I'm in Acworth, Ga, it's about 25 minutes NW of Atlanta.

I've been inspecting for about five years part time. Mostly inspecting for friends and relatives and some word of mouth business.

I have about twenty years experience in residential construction, and completed a local home inspection school in 2004.

I've finally decided it's time to start doing some serious marketing and networking and try to make a go at this full time.

I hope to get to know you guys better and learn some things here.

I do have one question right out of the gate.

How can I grow my inspection business without relying on agent referrals? Seems like a conflict of interest to me.

Thanks - Tony Hipps
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with marketing to Realtors as long as they know where you stand. A referral from a Realtor is the same as a referral from anyone. If a previous client gives you a referral are you working for that referring party, or yourself ? Same as a Realtor. You owe them nothing for the referral with the exception of doing your inspections as you always would.

Nothing unethical at all.

You should be seeking referrals from everyone, every where. I made the mistake of relying on just my website and previous client referrals. My website business dried up and I went to an extremely small amount of inspections. I will not make that mistake again.

I now am marketing realtors again and business has picked up substantially. My website still has not.

Darrel Hood Guest

I agree with Ted completely about marketing to realtors. I only chose to focus on a different market as a cost vs. benefit decision.

Darrel Hood
    DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES