imported_John Smith Guest

Smile Smart Phones For Business Use - Tax Implications

Im starting to see some value in getting one of the new "smart" phones for my business. Anyone have any second hand advice that they got from their CPA about deducting monthly access fees for business use? I wont be seeing mine again until next year.

Obviously I am going to use it for personal use some of the time (maybe 30%).

Being able to post to Inspection News while on an inspection and get a quick response from Jerry Peck would obviously be a good thing. http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...cons/icon7.gif

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Smart Phones For Business Use - Tax Implications

You do know you can just "call" Jerry. You don't need a smart phone for that.

Rob Yarboro Guest

I sure hope that you can deduct the use of a smart phone......I just broke down 3 weeks ago and came into the 21st century.

Seriously, you may have to subtract your percentage of personal usage from the total deduction.

Matt Vozzella Guest

My wife has had Sprint for 11 years. A few months ago I went to upgrade my phone ($150 towards new phone). Ended up finding a sale at Radio-Shack and picking up an HTC Pro. It's not the I-phone but does use microsoft based software. Has word, Excel, Notepad and PDF reader, online access and other stuff. With an 8mg storage card I've got about $30 into my phone and my wifes. 2 phones for $30!

My point is, keep your eye out for a phone that has features you will actually use. The I-phone is nice but not nice enough for me to layout $300 plus switching services.

Additionally, my computer at home died and I was lazy in rebuilding it. I used my phone to go on this forum and others in that time without too much trouble.

Last edited by Matt Vozzella; 06-08-2009 at 06:46 AM.

Rob Yarboro Guest

I have the HTC Touch Diamond, nice phone, but it is a little too small for my big paws.

Good news.......they just reduced the price of the iPhone to $99 !!!!!

Matt Vozzella Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Yarboro View Post
    I have the HTC Touch Diamond, nice phone, but it is a little too small for my big paws.

Good news.......they just reduced the price of the iPhone to $99 !!!!!
    No stylus with the diamond?

$99 iPhone won't have some features from what I've read - (3G, etc)

I bought a 16Gig iPhone a few months back for $150. About the only complaint I have is that it's camera is not all that great. Outside of that I like it.

I use it for emails and sync it to my desktop calender, etc. Also great to look things up on an inspection. The other day I Googled an oven to see if it was on the recall list. It was and my client was happy and impressed that I could tell them that on the spot.

I think it all depends on your service. If you are in an area that does not have 3G you will most likely not like an iPhone or most of the other smart phones.

I have also had AT&T or whatever it has been called since 1990, or when the bag phone was the thing to have! I doubt I will ever change carriers.

With my phone I deduct right at 9 months of service, I figure this is close to what I use it for personal use.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Rob Yarboro Guest

Mine has the stylus, but it is a PIA to use the stylus while driving. I need a purdy secretary to dial it for me !!!!

Matt Vozzella Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Yarboro View Post
    Mine has the stylus, but it is a PIA to use the stylus while driving. I need a purdy secretary to dial it for me !!!!
    Yeah...I don't do too much when I drive besides talk and I try to cut that down.

Youse guys are talkin bout smart phones, mine is not smart, but the only problem I have is tryin ta roll back up dat 10,000 feet of wire when I head back.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Just received a notice that the new iPhone 3G-S comes out on June 19th. A few new bells and whistles. Looks like the same price as the current 3G. A new video cam feature; voice controlled dialing; faster speed.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

What's new today is a dinosaur tomorrow! You think your device is the baddest kid on the block and a week latter it's pong.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Matt Vozzella Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Just received a notice that the new iPhone 3G-S comes out on June 19th. A few new bells and whistles. Looks like the same price as the current 3G. A new video cam feature; voice controlled dialing; faster speed.
    I had voice dialing on my last phone, it was pretty bad. I'd hope that Apple would upgrade it, I'm sure someone I know will pick it up - then I'll check it out.