daniel nantell Guest

Default one way valve on out hose bibs

I got a letter from the local water company that said I should equip all outside hose bibs with the one way valve , the letter said it would prevent water back up in the water system in case a break occured and pressure dropped. It this something we should recommend when doing a home inspection.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: one way valve on out hose bibs

Those are called atmospheric vacuum breakers and should already be on all outside hose bibbs ... going back a very very long time, and something which definitely should be written up if you have not already been doing so - and not as a recommendation, as a repair which needs to be corrected.

This is the current 2006 IRC code requirement for them.
    - P2902.4.3 Hose connection. Sillcocks, hose bibbs, wall hydrants and other openings with a hose connection shall be protected by an atmospheric-type or pressure-type vacuum breaker or a permanently attached hose connection vacuum breaker.

Yep, that last part means that if you do not use a hose bibb with built-in protection, the one you screw on the hose connection is to be permanently attached. This is done with the screw which is supplied with the screw on vacuum breaker, screw it in tight and then the screw snaps off so the vacuum breaker cannot be removed (well, at least not easily removed).

These: hose bibb vacuum breaker - Google Product Search are what they look like.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 06-07-2009 at 01:30 PM. Reason: added link, then added last part of first paragraph
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Matt Vozzella Guest

Jerry and Matt nailed this one. Backflow is very serious. If you see a backflow device, for example a RPZ for a lawn sprinkler system you should ask to see the test / certification report. If they do not have one then I would write it up that it needs to be tested. These devices need to be tested and re-certified every year.

Matt Vozzella Guest

I lifted that link from Terry's place, never read it before then. It is an eye opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Vozzella View Post
    I lifted that link from Terry's place, never read it before then. It is an eye opener.
    Ah another from Terry's glad to see you over by here.

Matt Vozzella Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hasil View Post
    Ah another from Terry's glad to see you over by here.
    I'm FloridaOrange over there, I found this place through you.

I'm FloridaOrange over there, I found this place through you.
    Well I figured these brick kickers needed some pro's here. No offense Jerry and the rest of you brick kicking guys. I know one thing these home inspector guys taught me a few things I never know about in homes. Like the space between the spindles on a stair case.

Matt Vozzella Guest

Well I figured these brick kickers needed some pro's here. No offense Jerry and the rest of you brick kicking guys. I know one thing these home inspector guys taught me a few things I never know about in homes. Like the space between the spindles on a stair case.
    There's a ton I do not know, there's quite a bit I do know and there's applications of what I do and do not know that I didn't know applied - if that makes any sense. Just like at Terry's place, if I can help I do, if I can learn I will, if I'm corrected it adds to the second part.

There's a ton I do not know, there's quite a bit I do know and there's applications of what I do and do not know that I didn't know applied - if that makes any sense. Just like at Terry's place, if I can help I do, if I can learn I will, if I'm corrected it adds to the second part.

Oh-oh, one of those guys, huh?

There are known knowns, there are known unknowns, there are unknown knowns, and there are unknown unknowns.

Or, there are truths, there are untruths, there are untrue truths, and there are true untruths.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Jerry and Matt nailed this one. Backflow is very serious. If you see a backflow device, for example a RPZ for a lawn sprinkler system you should ask to see the test / certification report. If they do not have one then I would write it up that it needs to be tested. These devices need to be tested and re-certified every year.

Which you know and I know they are never tested after being installed. Well, maybe if there is a problem with the system in the future and someone takes the initiative but I doubt it. In Florida you could drill your own well for the sprinklers and never have to worry about the home connection. Other states it is not possible due to municipal rules and regs or just the matter that to get to water is a serious depth.

Matt Vozzella Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Oh-oh, one of those guys, huh?

There are known knowns, there are known unknowns, there are unknown knowns, and there are unknown unknowns.

Or, there are truths, there are untruths, there are untrue truths, and there are true untruths.