Default Fool's Pool

Crawl Space Creeper
    Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Default Re: Fool's Pool

looks like a home made set up

Isn't it a little close to the fence
    Wonder if they ever heard of handrails
    Please tell me that it is not resting in CPVC legs. Kinda looks like it in the picture ,can't be sure.

Besides the already mentioned items, the diving board does not have adequate clearances from the side walls of the pool.

rick

The slide ladder can be used by the inmates to escape over the fence. I'm pretty sure that's what west coast Jerry is getting at.
    I could be wrong.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Ken is on the scent, but the rest of you are missing the main point. Think HOI...... ?

Jerry McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Ken is on the scent, but the rest of you are missing the main point. Think HOI...... ?
    I don't see many pools, and the ones I do see, I don't inspect. So I'm flying blind here.
    Is it just free standing on the concrete?

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Ladder to the slide has no handrail therefore someone could easily fall back onto the fence.

Slide does not appear to the secured to the deck? Can't be sure by photo.

PVC legs on slide.

Both diving board and slide are not recommended by most insurance companies.

Openings on fence? Can't determine by photo.

C'mon Jerry, let us know.

rick

Do you see a couple of problems with this setup?
    1.Slide, Improper Handrails ( has One Homemade needs Two of the required height. )

2. Inadequate Walkway Clearance between fence , Slide & Trees.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Other than the handrails and PVC legs, the top of the slide angles back towards the fence. Ladder needs to be raised or legs cut down.

Mike Truss Guy Guest

Exclamation Re: Fool's Pool

The lower supports look like they are made from PVC pipe - not very strong. It does not look like the slide is connected to the ground with any connectors. It could easily tip over sideways. There is inadequate egress around the back of it. The exit point of the slide is too close to the pool edge - you could hit your head on the concrete. Most water slides I see have water flowing down them - once you are wet you don't slide so well without running water. The slide looks like it is at the shallow end of the pool - it's probably only 3' deep there.

The slide looks like it is at the shallow end of the pool - it's probably only 3' deep there.

You've got it all wrong. That diving board is on the shallow end.

Bond the fence and the ladder.

K Robertson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Ladder to the slide has no handrail therefore someone could easily fall back onto the fence.

PVC legs on slide.

rick
    PVC legs and PVC hand rails on the left side of the slide at the top (so it appears from the pic).

and the slide is so close to the fence that it could be used to gain access to the pool by using the ladder through the fence? Hard to really tell how close it is but I'm trying to get Jerry's point.

Sides are too short and one could fall off while going down the slide.

Did we mention all the PVC?

Or Jerry are you referring to using the tree's as a diving platform?

No water for the slide?
    Power lines in the shade by the fence?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

So we have all decided that the pool needs to be destroyed, backfilled with soil and build a nice tennis court in its place.

I'm not sure what WC Jerry was meaning to point out about that Fools Pool, but there are two main items I see.

1) Only a fool would have a diving board.

2) Only a fool's fool would then add a slide too.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

EC Jerry wins a box of Behikes because most Home Owner Insurance policies will not cover a pool slide or diving board. In fact out here on the left coast you may have a hard time finding a dealer who will sell and/or install a slide or diving board for your pool. The home owner who installed this slide must hate kids? (see details)

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry McCarthy

PVC legs on slide.

rick

Where's my box of Behike's. That OK, I don't smoke.

Where's my box of Behike's. That OK, I don't smoke.
    Rick,

I didn't even know what Behike's were. (What are they?)

The only time I smoke is when I am replying to someone trying to justify using something other than "panel" to refer to electrical panels, unless they are standing in a submarine, they are not looking at a sub...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Cool Re: Fool's Pool

Rick
    You are correct and EC Jerry will send you his box of Behikes as you where first in with the observation about Home Owner's Insurance, but I suspect he may renege should he discover what they cost?

Jerry McCarthy

Rick
    You are correct and EC Jerry will send you his box of Behikes as you where first in with the observation about Home Owner's Insurance, but I suspect he may renege should he discover what they cost?

They will cost nothing as I will gladly forward the box I receive from WC Jerry to Rick.

I looked them up: World's most costly cigar - Cohiba Behike - Cigar Wire Online Cigar Community

"It's the world's most expensive cigar - $ 440 each and it only comes in boxes of 40 - but is it the best?

Nobody knows because no one has smoked one. The Cuban havanas from the Cohiba brand are so precious that no one has actually lit one yet.
    "

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

As soon as I lite one up I'll let you know.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Thats a shame that they went to all that trouble just tro do the slide and diving board wrong. Personally I like both a diving board and slide. I had a diving board on my 16 foot wide rectangular pool. Of course there was plenty of distance to the sides of the pool and had the end of the board extended well over the pool and the pool was 10 feet deep. I was going to put a big slide in but did not have the room. They make a great blow up slide (well, I think they stopped making it) for little kids with high sides and lots of cushion all around. My great niece and nephew love it. There are water filled weights on each side for stability and it is pretty wide, like 4 or 5 feet.

As soon as I lite one up I'll let you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    They will cost nothing as I will gladly forward the box I receive from WC Jerry to Rick.
    Rick,

I doubt you will have the chance to do so ... now go back and carefully read what I wrote.

With only 4,000 of those made, I'm going to be auctioning them off on e-bait at more than the $440 each, I expect I should be able to turn those 40 into $40,000. I will include a note with each sale that they should contact you for "the box" should they want that too.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

I think I must have inspected the same house today. No palm tree is missing. Check out the electrical overhead wiring near this slide.

rick

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

I always looked up to see if electrical service lines where above a pool and at what height. Saw lots of pools that where built up to the rear property line and into easements by the local utility and dangerously low power lines hanging about 10 feet over those pools. Also, the safety enclosures, gates and required door alarms where missing or not properly done most of the time. The attached photos are just a couple of reminders and the one at the motel is really scary as there where little kids all over the place.

Jerry McCarthy

Ted Menelly Guest

Just for those that might believe that pool safety is over rated we just lost 2 kids, one in Arlington and one in Plano Texas in the past couple days. I am not sure of the reason except it was drowning but none the less, pool safety is utmost.