Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Infant Killed In Dishwasher Tragedy

Infant killed in dishwasher accident

June 1, 2007

WHITE, Ark., June 1 (UPI) -- The White County, Ark., sheriff's department launched an investigation after an 18-month-old boy died in a dishwasher.
    Blake Kurck reportedly died after crawling into a dishwasher that locked itself from the outside and turned on, the Searcy (Ark.) Daily Citizen reported.

"What we have found so far is that we suggest this is a tragic accident," said Jeremy Clark, the chief deputy of the White County Sheriffs Department. "However, the case is still open and we're still investigating."

Foul play hasn't been ruled out by detectives, the newspaper said.

The child's family has been cooperative, and a preliminary autopsy has shown that he died from exposure to heat, said Clark.

"Injuries on the body come from a scalding-type burn," Lt. Fred Cheek told the Daily Citizen. "I've worked crime scenes for the sheriff for the last six years, and I've never seen anything like this."

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Angry Re: Infant Killed In Dishwasher Tragedy

This sounds like homicide to me.

How in the heck does an 18 month old do this to himself.

First he would have to probably pull out the lower rack to even get in the thing. Then he would have to pull the door from the inside up and close it.

Can't see it happening myself.

I be willing to bet the mother or dad gets accused latter on.

These mothers are flipping out and getting rid of their kids lately. Just this last week we had a mother accused of hanging her 3 children in a closet.

World has gone insane in the membrane.

Default Re: Infant Killed In Dishwasher Tragedy

"Foul play hasn't been ruled out by detectives, the newspaper said."

I agree with Rick.

Somebody "helped" that little boy, and that little boy probably went kicking and screaming.

I hope they find out who and that person(s) get put in the oven on bake, 450 degrees, for one hour, that ought to do it, well done I would suspect.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Too quick that way, Jerry. How about a little oven "hokey-pokey" first? We put your left hand in, you pull your left hand out, we put your left hand in and we bake it all about.

We keep it up until we run out of limbs. THEN WE FLAMBE' THE REST.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Dang Bruce,

I wished you hadn't brought this one up. I know its tragic and I hope some SOB pays dearly for it but I have bad visions of this kid.

Have been standing in front of my dishwasher several times tonight just imagining a child crawling in there. I just don't see it.

Just getting over and on top of the lower rack would be painful and then being able to reach out and pull up the door by himself. NO WAY.

I'll dream about this kid all night, only after prayers are said for him.

I just know he's in a better place than he was with his parents.

JMHO

Rick,
    You need to check out CASA and then become a volunteer. All of you should. It is the most worthwhile contribution I have ever made. You truly can make a difference in many children's lives. CASA stands for Court Appointed Special Advocate. If anyone is interested, contact me via email and we'll talk about it.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Walker View Post
    You need to check out CASA and then become a volunteer. All of you should.
    It is the most worthwhile contribution I have ever made.
    Agreed

for more info go to
    National CASA

or do call Thom.

He really is a better person because of his involvement with this organization.

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Before everyone convicts the parents, let's see if it could really happen!

The answer is, yes it could. There are numerous dishwashers that close and automatically lock. As children are wont to do, it is also easy to turn the knobs so that when the door closes, the dishwasher starts.

The solution is the latching type of door, like our Maytag has. You can't start the dishwasher until the door is latched.

Of course, I am not absolving the parents of all blame. Once again, just like pool drownings, the parents weren't watching their kids.

Eric Van De Ven Magnum Inspections Inc. (772) 214-9929
    www.magnuminspections.com
    I still get paid to be suspicious when I got nothing to be suspicious about!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Van De Ven View Post
    Before everyone convicts the parents, let's see if it could really happen!

The answer is, yes it could.
    I don't think 'could' is a good word, unless you mean it as 'maybe once in 100 million billion trillion times'.

I've looked at our dishwasher, and thinking back to the many others I've looked at, and those which do not have a locking lever take A LOT of force to make them latch, and that is not going to happen from a small child, with small fingers, grasping a dispenser door or cover.

Also, all the ones I've seen (recall seeing) where you turn knobs or push buttons requires the 'start' button to be pushed AFTER the door latches. The lever type with a knob which turns WILL START after the door is closed, IF the lever is moved to the locked position -which is not going to be done from inside the dishwasher.

I know you are just 'being cautious' because 'strange things happen', but the reality is that way too many parents 'do terrible things to their children' and then try to blame it on 'an accident' or 'a malfunction'.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I don't think 'could' is a good word, unless you mean it as 'maybe once in 100 million billion trillion times'.

I've looked at our dishwasher, and thinking back to the many others I've looked at, and those which do not have a locking lever take A LOT of force to make them latch, and that is not going to happen from a small child, with small fingers, grasping a dispenser door or cover.

Also, all the ones I've seen (recall seeing) where you turn knobs or push buttons requires the 'start' button to be pushed AFTER the door latches. The lever type with a knob which turns WILL START after the door is closed, IF the lever is moved to the locked position -which is not going to be done from inside the dishwasher.

I know you are just 'being cautious' because 'strange things happen', but the reality is that way too many parents 'do terrible things to their children' and then try to blame it on 'an accident' or 'a malfunction'.
    Actually Jerry, "could" is a very good word. I have seen and I am sure you and others have, dishwasher doors that almost closed by themselves due to new or improper springs on the doors. Once the door gets past halfway up, it closes very easily and if it is the self-latching type, could easily lock.

18 month olds have surprising strength and could easily pull the door closed on themselves.

It is a tragedy. I also agree that parents do terrible things to their children. I just don't think that is what happened here.

I just don't think that is what happened here.
    That's were I completely disagree. For that child, though, it is a moot point.

However, for another child, it may not be a moot point.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

David Banks Guest

The dishwasher I have you press the start button and close the door and it starts. Also you could easily close the door from inside by pulling on the soap dispenser cover.

Below is a bit of an update. I still have seen no evidence to suggest this is anything other than a tragic accident.

Toddler Killed in Dishwasher

White County, Arkansas - (KTHV)A 13-year-old White County boy makes a shocking discovery. He finds his baby brother dead inside a running dishwasher. Detectives say right now they consider it a tragic accident, but they are still questioning family members.

It's being described by detectives as one of the worst death scenes in their careers.

White County Detective Mark Jones, says, "I’ve worked the crime scenes for the sheriff's department for the last six years and I have never come across a scene such as this."

Detectives say what they found inside the Romance mobile home on Snowbird Road was 18-month-old Clifton Kurk dead, covered in severe burns.

"I think that what we've found out so far would suggest that this was a tragic accident. However, the case is open and we're still looking," says Chief Deputy Jeremy Clark.

Clark says Kurk's mother was at work and his father asleep when his 13-year-old brother made the gruesome discovery.

Clark explains, "I believe the child walked out of the room, realized that his little brother wasn't there, heard the dishwasher on and found that odd. The baby's blanket was laying in front of the dishwasher.”

Deputies believe the toddler had been inside the running dishwasher, set on high heat, for as long as 15 minutes, but no one is sure exactly how he got inside and closed the door.

"There are some theories," says Clark. "I don't really know how to answer that. I don't like giving theories as far as any evidence of how the child got in there. No one saw the child get in there that's been reported to us. Again, the family's been very cooperative they've done everything we've asked of them and been understanding of what we have to do even though they've suffered a tragic loss. I don't want to lose focus of that."

Deputies say they'd never been called to the house before and believe this may be nothing more than a tragic lesson in keeping a closer eye on your children.

"Watch your kids. You can never be too safe," says Clark.

The Maytag dishwasher was removed from the home as evidence. Detectives say the investigation could last for several more days, or possibly weeks.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

To add some verified proof that this could happen, see the pictures below.

This is a whirlpool dishwasher from the inspection I did today. The first picture shows that the door doesn't stay all of the way open. The next picture with my finger at the top of the door, is me holding the door from closing.
    The last picture is of the door closed and the knob in the "normal" position.

Once the door closed, the dishwasher started.

I also pulled on the soap lid and the door closed very easily. In fact, it closed with a lot less effort than I expected.

Before we go "baking" someone, let's get the facts first!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Infant Killed In Dishwasher Ruled Accident

In a THV update, investigators have ruled the death of a White County toddler, killed in a dishwasher, an accident.

However, charges are pending against his father. Police say he will likely face endangering the welfare of a minor charges.

Detectives say 18-month-old Clifton Kurk died from scalding burns in a dishwasher at his family’s mobile home in Romance. They say he climbed into the appliance after the dish racks were pulled out. They say it started running when his two-year-old brother shut the door.

Detectives say Kurk's mother was at work and his father was asleep when his 13-year-old brother made the gruesome discovery.

DHHS now has custody of the two-year-old and the couple's 13-year-old son.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

I would still be curious if the lower dish rack was present in the DW, or had it been removed.

Richard Rushing Guest

This sounds like a brother or sister was helping this toddler (18 month old) to play inside the dishwasher and it went very bad...

God I would hate to think of the misery that littl'en went through before dying. Absolutely unbelievable pain...

Rich

To add to my post above, not only was the dishwasher above able to be started with minimal effort, since doing that inspection, the past four inspections all had dishwashers that could start just by closing the door.

They were Whirlpool, Roper, Kenmore and yesterdays was a brand new Amana. This problem may be more widespread than we think.

I am sending a letter to the manufacturers along with the article to see what their take on it is.

Richard Rushing Guest

Atta-boy, Eric...

Good follow-up.

Rich

Yes, good follow up and it shows that I am wrong too.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yes, good follow up and it shows that I am wrong too.

Jerry,
    I don't think that it shows you, and others, were wrong. I do think that some jumped a little bit early and were Judge, Jury, and Executioner without looking at all of the facts.

I have sent a letter to Maytag, Kenmore, Whirlpool, General Electric, and Amana. I will post their responses here.

I am old enough to remember when refrigerators had doors that latched or locked. After a number of children died of suffocation inside refrigerators refrigerator doors were redesigned so that a person inside the refrigerator could open the door by pushing on it from inside. I wonder if a similar change is in store for dishwashers after this tragic event.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Okay, somebody has to say it. I'm willing. The manufacturer's hold no blame in this situation. The sleeping father of an 18 month old and 2 year old is to blame. It is about two decades since we became the "let's blame the design or manufacturer" society.

Yes, the ability to open a refrigerator from the inside was a wonderful redesign. It has undoubtedly saved many little lives. I would bring to your attention that at the time refrigerators had the old mechanical handles, we were still relatively new at keeping things cold. Those old seals had to really be mashed to function. The truth is that the handles weren't changed solely as a function to protect children. They were also changed because gaskets improved, refrigeration improved, freezers got bigger, and the metal it took to manufacture the old handles became much more expensive than the vacuum seals.

Most of those deaths were in abandoned refrigerators, not functional ones.

I deal with these horrors on a regular basis. I appreciate that you guys have done some in field testing and what you have found, but you are missing the issue. The features that you believe are responsible for that poor baby's death are intentional design features brought about by consumer demand for convenience. They have served that purpose and I do believe that under all but the most bizarre circumstances, they do not create a safety risk. An 18 month old, by himself, does not have the dexterity skills to close and latch the door to allow it to start the cycle. From what y'all have said, this did not happen here.

And is it reasonable that a manufacturer should calculate all possibilities? Is it reasonable for us as a society could expect a manufacturer to predict that an adult would choose to nap while his toddlers ran unsupervised? Let's think for a minute about the possibilities for harm or death that are present in all houses that are reason enough not to ever go to sleep with unsupervised toddlers.

Until we stop treating children as chattel, the God given property of parents no matter how bad the parenting, these kinds of tragedies will occur. Can and do accidents occur to which parents should not be blamed? of Course. But, this isn't one of those cases and manufacturers should not take the fall. There is a huge difference between "accident" and irresponsible behavior with dire consequences." This was no accident and Rip Van Winkle needs to be held fully accountable for his actions.

Last edited by Thom Walker; 06-14-2007 at 06:13 PM. Reason: english as a second language error
    - Paul Fix

Thom,
    I fully agree that the parents are responsible in this case as well as pool drownings and other situations involving unsupervised kids.

I too remember refrigerators with locks on them. I also remember that my parents knew what I was doing all of the time. Myself and my brothers and sister were taught what not to touch and what was allowed. I personally think that parents rely on safety items to guard their children.

On the other hand, if a manufacturer could redesign something so that once a tragedy has happened, like the one in this thread, it won't happen again, don't you think that is a good thing?

I also remember that my parents knew what I was doing all of the time.
    I'm older than Eric, maybe older than Thom, but I can truthfully state "my parents THOUGHT they knew what we (my brothers and sister) were doing all the time, but I CAN GUARANTY that they "did not" know what we were doing most of the time ... IF THEY DID ... *they* would have died from us doing it.

There IS NO WAY, short of chaining a kid up on a leash, for a parent to KNOW what their kids are doing ALL the time.

If you think you know what your kids are doing all the time, wait until you are older and your kids are grown and have kids of their own ... only then will you really learn what YOUR KIDS were doing most of the time.

This is not a 'blame the manufacturer' approach, this is a 'let's make them safer approach'.

How many kids got, and still get, crushed under garage doors? You really think their parents KNEW their kids were there at that time?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I think that anything that protects children has the potential for being a good thing. But as good as that might sound, it might actually be a bad thing. The implication that the design played a part in this child's death begins to instantly relieve the stupid or negligent person of his responsibility. That's a lawyer's game. We have been convinced that we are not responsible for anything . We have become a victim society and it's hurting our children.

Think of this example. The parents go out and buy the helmet, the elbow pads, the knee pads, the reflectors, and the full body armor for little Johnny; these are all good inventions. Then they go inside to watch reruns of the Sopranos and little Johnny goes into the street and gets hit by a car. It's not a tragic accident. It is tragic, but it's not an accident. All the safety equipment in the world couldn't protect him from a lapse in parental judgment.

Or using your example; the parents who buy all the safety stuff for the pool, but never spring for the audible door alarms and never check the gfci protection for the pool light, even though you told them to. We are way to fast to declare accidents when neglect is the real culprit.

So, by all means, let's make as many advances in safety as we can, but at some point we must correct our thinking and again become a Nation of adults.

- Paul Fix

I'm older than Eric, maybe older than Thom, but I can truthfully state "my parents THOUGHT they knew what we (my brothers and sister) were doing all the time, but I CAN GUARANTY that they "did not" know what we were doing most of the time ... IF THEY DID ... *they* would have died from us doing it.

There IS NO WAY, short of chaining a kid up on a leash, for a parent to KNOW what their kids are doing ALL the time.

If you think you know what your kids are doing all the time, wait until you are older and your kids are grown and have kids of their own ... only then will you really learn what YOUR KIDS were doing most of the time.

This is not a 'blame the manufacturer' approach, this is a 'let's make them safer approach'.

How many kids got, and still get, crushed under garage doors? You really think their parents KNEW their kids were there at that time?
    Jerry, first; you are older than everybody.

Then, go back and read what I said; both times. There are accidents. Going to sleep with two toddlers in the house is not an accident. It was an irresponsible, wilfull, intentional act that some manufacturer will, in all liklihood, have to defend itself against.

Another major difference from when we were kids is that parents tended to take responsibility for their own actions, as well as for their kids and other people's kids. I can remember when I was smacked by Mrs, Spinnici, Mrs, Schriver and Mrs. Beckwith before I could get home for Mrs. Walker to smack me. Then they would all come to the front yard when my father got home so that they could all tell their versions of what I had done. That was a different world, Jerry. You know that. Did you ever personally know anyone who sued anyone? Did you ever know anyone who sued a company?

A child is dead and it had nothing to do with design of a product. We cannot ever get to the point that any company can protect us from our own faults.

- Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Walker View Post
    Jerry, first; you are older than everybody.
    'Cept for Jerry M.

Then, go back and read what I said; both times. There are accidents. Going to sleep with two toddlers in the house is not an accident. It was an irresponsible, wilfull, intentional act ...
    Let me get this straight now. I stay home with our grand daughter and, while she takes a nap, I take a nap.

That is a "irresponsible, wilfull, intentional act"?

A child is dead and it had nothing to do with design of a product.
    "it had nothing to do with design of a product"

Bad term to use there, Mr. Attorney, you lose the case. *IF* the product had been able to have been opened from inside, I submit that the child would still be alive today.

Did you allow the child to enter into your dishwasher? No.

Did you make it easy for the child to close the door of the dishwasher? No. (I know, "define" *easy*.)

Did you make it easy for the child to escape from inside the dishwasher? No.

Why did you not make it easy for a child to escape from inside the dishwasher? We never thought about it.

All you need is that last, single, "No." to take you down with the parents as a portion of the responsibility for that child's death.

At to that "No." - You never thought about a child getting locked inside your appliance? You do make refrigerators too, don't you? And your refrigerators are specifically made to be able to be opened from inside, correct? So you are aware that children do get inside appliances, are you not?

Your hole just keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

'Cept for Jerry M.

Let me get this straight now. I stay home with our grand daughter and, while she takes a nap, I take a nap.

That is a "irresponsible, wilfull, intentional act"?

If there is a possibility that she can get up and around without you knowing, yes. Your nap has to wait. I can't believe that you would even ask. Inconvenience sometimes goes with the territory.

"it had nothing to do with design of a product"

Bad term to use there, Mr. Attorney, you lose the case. *IF* the product had been able to have been opened from inside, I submit that the child would still be alive today.
    No attorney. I'm just the guy who has to try to make a child's life normal again, because he/she is scarred in some way because some adult keeps trying to make excuses how it's always somebody Else's fault. And the child we are talking about was 18 months old. Get real.

Did you allow the child to enter into your dishwasher? No.
    Wrong again. You went to sleep and left two toddlers unsupervised. You allowed the child to go in the dishwasher, or out the front door, or down the steps, or under the scalding water, or into the dryer, or into the medicine cabinet, or into the car, or off with the nice man next door. All because your nap was more important than your responsibility.

Did you make it easy for the child to close the door of the dishwasher? No. (I know, "define" *easy*.)
    From inside or outside? One unsupervised child, or two unsupervised children?

Did you make it easy for the child to escape from inside the dishwasher? No.
    How many children have ever cooked in a dishwasher from your company?
    How many children have cooked in your competitor's dishwashers?
    How many children have cooked in any one's dishwasher while an adult was present?

Why did you not make it easy for a child to escape from inside the dishwasher? We never thought about it.
    Opposing lawyer: How many dishwashers were sold in the U.S. last year?
    How many world wide? How many in the last ten years? How many models have the same function for operation as your model? How many children cooked in dishwashers last year? How many......

All you need is that last, single, "No." to take you down with the parents as a portion of the responsibility for that child's death.
    You are making my point, not yours. And we are not a better society for it, and our children are less safe every time you defend that argument.

At to that "No." - You never thought about a child getting locked inside your appliance? You do make refrigerators too, don't you? And your refrigerators are specifically made to be able to be opened from inside, correct? So you are aware that children do get inside appliances, are you not?
    Get over the refrigerator thing, Jerry. You are deluding yourself if you think it was changed PRIMARILY as a safety issue. Yes, that was A factor. It was not THE factor. If manufacturers had not been able to keep food cold with the new technologies, we would still have those old mechanical locks.

Your hole just keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger ...
    There is no hole, because I'm not trying to win anything, not even an argument. Again, you are making my point, not the one you seem to want to make. You are arguing what the practice of law and the quest for big settlements can accomplish. I agree 100%. I am arguing until you give up that attitude, you will not see a decrease in child injury and death.

We, as a society, take this kind of tragedy and turn it into a "quest for justice" a demand for change. WE ARE PHONIES. We take one example like this and jump on a band wagon where these terrible manufacturers intentionally keep a tragically deficient design on the market and A child has died. Yet every day in this country, we place tens of millions of children onto school busses with no seat belts. Then, when a bus load is killed, we excuse ourselves because it was "a terrible accident."

Hundreds of children are injured or die every year in "gun accidents." Why? There are safties on guns. There are ammunitions safes, gun safes. They die because an adult was irresponsible. Yet sellers and manufacturers are brought into the suits.

This forum isn't big enough for me to list all the examples I could. Alas, you are right though. It just must be someone else's fault. Lawsuits prove it, time and again.

- Paul Fix

Wow! This thread is really getting deep!

I have always felt that ultimately, the parent is responsible. That was drilled into my head by my Father. " I am responsible for you until you turn 18 years old".

We didn't have G.F.I. protection, plug protectors, pool fences, or locks on cabinets. We did have a word: NO! If that didn't work, then there was disciplinary action. Oddly enough, none of us got electrocuted, drank any chemicals that were stored under the sink, or drowned. Wonder why?

I think that the parents today are afraid to discipline their children. If they did, many of these "accidents" wouldn't happen. Just my opinion.

As for my parents knowing everything we did, they were letter carriers and all of the other letter carriers where "spies". I recall an incident where one of the letter carriers, after seeing me out for a joy ride in the family car, said to my Mom " I didn't know Eric got his drivers license". My Mom replied "he didn't"!

Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

Wow! This thread is really getting deep!

I have always felt that ultimately, the parent is responsible. That was drilled into my head by my Father. " I am responsible for you until you turn 18 years old".

We didn't have G.F.I. protection, plug protectors, pool fences, or locks on cabinets. We did have a word: NO! If that didn't work, then there was disciplinary action. Oddly enough, none of us got electrocuted, drank any chemicals that were stored under the sink, or drowned. Wonder why?

I think that the parents today are afraid to discipline their children. If they did, many of these "accidents" wouldn't happen. Just my opinion.

As for my parents knowing everything we did, they were letter carriers and all of the other letter carriers where "spies". I recall an incident where one of the letter carriers, after seeing me out for a joy ride in the family car, said to my Mom " I didn't know Eric got his drivers license". My Mom replied "he didn't"!
    Take it one further....

Helmets for bicycle riders were not invented or considered...

Seat belts were an Option in Vehicles. Chrysler was the first to offer as Standard equipment in 1965....

Not only Parental Responsibility but Personal Responsibility....

Shane Pouch Guest

Another major difference from when we were kids is that parents tended to take responsibility for their own actions, as well as for their kids and other people's kids. I can remember when I was smacked by Mrs, Spinnici, Mrs, Schriver and Mrs. Beckwith before I could get home for Mrs. Walker to smack me. Then they would all come to the front yard when my father got home so that they could all tell their versions of what I had done. That was a different world, Jerry. You know that. Did you ever personally know anyone who sued anyone? Did you ever know anyone who sued a company?
    Thom,

Your recollection of years gone by brings back so many memories. I really thought that I hated my parents (and their friends) at times for the supreme responsibility they exerted on me. But you know, I can honestly say that I never received any discipline that was not earned.

It amazes me how folks think that you can't hold a heavy hand over a child, as you might "scar" them. Whatever. My parents didn't beat me. But I'll guarantee you that my mom would grab whatever that was close by to spank me (or get my attention - and she did - all 4 foot 13 of that woman)(wooden spatula, willow switch, you name it).

I never really thought about the excellent examples my parents were until I started having my own children. Since then, I have told my parents many times that I am so lucky that they raised me the way they (and their friends) did - respect your elders, your neighbors, and have character (do the right thing when nobody's looking).

I firmly believe that the shape of our society is a direct result of the lack of firm parenting skills. Of course, even the best examples of parents make mistakes, but there are so many that just have no clue whatsoever.

I couldn't agree with you any more on this issue. And I feel sooooooooo bad for that boy who had to be the one to discover his little brother. Just breaks my heart.

My parents never spanked us to often.

My mother(God bless her) she used to do things I think just to make us feel bad.

Like the morning I got up and found her with the oven door open and her head inside. I said, " Mom, are you checking those biscuits well for me? She commented back, you would care if I did myself in, would you?

I said, "Well who would fix my biscuits then? She laughed.

Always the pity party, or your driving me crazy with her. I would rather had the beating.

I miss her.

If we're admitting things, We were so poor I guess growing up. We actually had to drink tap water and take a sack lunch to school. OMG

One of my fondest adult memories is of having my parents in the back seat of my car, bickering about something. It went on forever without either one giving an inch. I pulled over and turned around and said"Don't make me come back there." Everybody cracked up and the whole day went better.

- Paul Fix

Debra Hefner Guest

You know some of you really need to check things out before you start talking about something that you know nothing about. I am that babys grandmother and I can tell you that no one did anything to him, the top rack was out and the reason was because they were washing the racks from the refrigerator, but the bottom was in and he pulled it out. The news report, that the TV station used, about the two year old shutting the door was one of many ways it could have happened, we spoke to the officer and he stated that he had not told them anything as fact and only offered possibilities after they wouldn't leave him alone and the TV station chose one for a fact which it wasn’t. Everything you read or see on TV isn't always true. Have you ever tried to see how easy it is to pull a tray out (very) and if you notice some dishwasher’s will start if you just push a button or turn a knob and shut the door, which can be done with a finger. Do any of you realize how my daughter feels right now she has been hurt because she has lost her son and then people like you, who do not know what they are talking about, making opinions that are really cruel. We have been through hell the last 6 months and will always think and remember our little Blake. This was an accident and my daughter was not charged with anything, she wasn't even home when this occurred, she was at work.

Did someone here perhaps E-MAIL this family?

Debra, I am sorry for your loss.
    This is a board for home inspectors who stumble around and try to make things safer for people and not an opinion forum about the people in news stories.
    You are right, we don't know the facts, just what is reported in the news papers, but if you will notice, in between the comments back and forth, one of our contributors took the time to write the manufacturers of dishwashers to try to make things safer for the next child.
    Most of the inspectors here have been around for more than a few years and seen the good and the bad in people and circumstances and can't help but voice an opinion or two. Again, I am sorry for your loss. Rest assured this is a group of people that spend most of our time trying to protect people from accidents, not trying to defame anyone.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Michael, Google search, as many have said here before, this is a public board and anyone can see what is posted here.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Debra and her Daughter both e mailed me. As to the content, that is private.

Since this story broke, I have been taking notes as to which dishwashers can be started just by closing the door. I posted those above.

So far, only my Maytag has a latch that you have to pull to lock the door.

Recently, I discovered another option. Apparently, either by design or accident, this manufacturer: LG Dishwashers - Model LDF8812: Home Appliances > Dishwashers > LDF8812
    has a dishwasher that requires very little pressure to open the door after it has closed. I have contacted them to see exactly what the explanation is.

At an inspection Monday, I inspected a home with the LG dishwasher and it wasn't mounted. When I showed the Client, I grabbed the sides of the door and it came open, very easily. There is some type of internal mechanism that locks and unlocks easily.

Added with edit: I didn't see above, but, none of the manufacturers that I previously contacted responded. General Electric sent a generic auto response, but so far, that is it.

Last edited by Eric Van De Ven; 12-06-2007 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Added information

Warren,

Your post convey my same thoughts. We all know that this now was a horrible tragedy, but I still cannot understand how a person can just decide to take a nap and leave an 18 month old to have free roam of the house while your napping.

As far as all the comments made before on this subject they are just opinions and thats it. Sure we don't know all the exact facts of the story, but we've all heard of these types of deaths to children in the media more too often and it usually always go back to some type of neglect by an adult who was supposedly overlooking the child.

More kids are injured getting into a laundry dryer each year than I would say a dishwasher so we need to contact those manufacture companies and see about some safety devices on them too.

JMHO

Rick

I'm not sure you could hear that from my dishwasher, because it is so well insulated - you can barely tell the dishwasher is even running when it is.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Truly tasteless posts.

Brian Hoagland Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Debra Hefner View Post
    You know some of you really need to check things out before you start talking about something that you know nothing about. I am that babys grandmother and I can tell you that no one did anything to him, the top rack was out and the reason was because they were washing the racks from the refrigerator, but the bottom was in and he pulled it out. The news report, that the TV station used, about the two year old shutting the door was one of many ways it could have happened, we spoke to the officer and he stated that he had not told them anything as fact and only offered possibilities after they wouldn't leave him alone and the TV station chose one for a fact which it wasn’t. Everything you read or see on TV isn't always true. Have you ever tried to see how easy it is to pull a tray out (very) and if you notice some dishwasher’s will start if you just push a button or turn a knob and shut the door, which can be done with a finger. Do any of you realize how my daughter feels right now she has been hurt because she has lost her son and then people like you, who do not know what they are talking about, making opinions that are really cruel. We have been through hell the last 6 months and will always think and remember our little Blake. This was an accident and my daughter was not charged with anything, she wasn't even home when this occurred, she was at work.
    Truly sorry for your loss. The opinions of others should be insignificant to you and your family, when they speak with such indifference when in fact they have the same human faults. All good parents plan and wish for a better life for their children as I am sure your children did for your grandchild so tragically lost. Because home inspectors are so focused on liability issues they bring these issues for discussion in this forum to be discussed. This is not a place where judgement can or should be made on an issue regarding responsibility for this tragedy and I appologize for any insult you have felt you endured. This is a venue for discussion of manufacturers defects, which, in this case, does not seem to be done. I hope you understand that as time goes by, people who do care will be remembering this tragedy and hopefully doing something to prevent a recurrence.

John C Ritter Guest

I looked into opening a laundromat a couple years ago, and there have been similar accidents in commercial dryers and washers. Similar debates raged at the time in the laundromat forums I frequented. I remember one incident with two youngsters (not all that young, maybe 10-12 if I remember right?), and it turned out the friend put the quarters in and deliberately started the dryer. The boy in the dryer wanted him to do it; they both thought it would be fun. Not understanding the consequences, obviously. So not always an evident design flaw, but always a tragedy...

This summer, at the apartment house I own, a tenant's child (age 8) decided to light a broom on fire while sitting on his brother's mattress. Naturally, it got out of hand, and destroyed the apartment (no injuries, thankfully). At the time, he was "being watched" by his 15-y.o. brother, who was watching cartoons in the LR, while Mother was at the doctor's with the 3-y.o.

Post Re: Infant Killed In Dishwasher Tragedy

Perhaps the best thing to take away from this is that there is no substitute for being vigilant, regardless of the situation. Americans seem to have lost this behavioral trait.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Phillip Smith Guest

I guess not of you have work hard during the week and woke up in you chair after sitting down to watch TV with your family.

We do not know what the father has been dong before hand. Working and raising kids can wear you out.

Phillip,

I will agree with you that kids can and do wear you out.

That alone doesn not relieve that parent of responsibility. If that parent is alone in the home with children, he or whoever has to be in control of that child. Deciding to go off and take a short nap in a bedroom and let the children play on their own is irresponsible. Even dozing off in a recliner for a short time can be detrimental.

We bring these children into the world and it is our duty to be watch after them. That responsibility does not go away when they quit being children either I can guarantee you either.

Again, we'll all agree that this story of this child was a horrific accident. I know that this father will always carry this guilt upon himself and I don't think serving the rest of his life in jail somewhere is the answer. He and his family need to be together to make it through this.

Now, a BIG IF. If a person is whacked out of their mind on drugs or drunk and a child is injured while being in the "care", I would not have any problem letting the law take care of that person as severe as the law will allow.

Rick

Mark Jones Guest

Even the best parent can't watch his kid all the time. I was one of those kids that stuck a screwdriver into a receptacle. What was I thinking? I don't remember. You could blame my Dad for leaving a screwdriver somewhere that I could find it. Kids in my family did things you could never prepare for.
    Blaming the parents isn't always fair.
    Let the one without guilt cast the first stone.

Brian Hoagland Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Alderman View Post
    Ahem, Randy...folks want to blame everyone but themselves. Moral of the story: Don't make the decision to go to sleep with an 18 month old in the house.

Although I believe he is criminally negligent and needs to serve prison time, I'm sure there is not any prison sentence that will be worse than living with the fact he messed up....that is assuming he didn't put the kid in the dishwasher and has morals, conscience.
    How many 18 month old children have you spawned and cared for? At what point did you go to sleep? I slept a lot better after they were 18 years old but 16 and a half years is a long time to go without sleep. This is not a venue for the determination of fault in such a tradgedy. Leave that to the courts, if they feel justice should be served by punitive actions so be it. We don't have all the info a jury will. This type of speculation is unbecoming to our proffession. Please drop it.

Annie-Laurie Hunter Guest

First, my condolences to the family.

Second, a reality check. All parents go to sleep with children in the house. Face the fact. No parent can watch their child 24/7. It isn't physically possible. So many of you have judged the dad for taking a nap. How do you know that he wasn't just home from a 12 hour work day and had to back in 6 hours to bring home enough money to put food on the table? You don't know. The story didn't say.

As far as hearing the 18 month old, I doubt you would hear a child over the noise of the dishwasher. You would be more likely to wake up because someone started the dishwasher and it wasn't after a meal.

That family has got to be going through hell with the loss of this child.

Contacting manufactures and looking at a design change- especially something as simple as a lever that must be moved to start the cycle is great.

Blaming the parents for this one isn't helping anything. They weren't sick or deluded people who confused the child for a dirtyy pan or roast him thinking he was turkey or saved him for a higher purpaose because the voices said to. They were real people who had real lives and this 18 month old exploration of his world went horribly wrong. Who of you has thought to tell your 18 month old not to climb in the dishwasher? Who had even thought one would?

Yes, we survived childhood without safety equipment back in the day. But the reason there is safety equipment is because a bunch or our peers didn't.

I just gotta' say this about "the good old days": my father, who was born in 1908, spend his childhood on a farm and then in town where the sawmill was the chief employer, places that were the archetypes of "rugged individualism" and "personal responsibility".

When he talked about his childhood, one of the things that struck me was how often his reminiscence took a casually grisly turn: children fell off wagons, into wells or fires or through the ice, were crushed by hogs, mauled by stray dogs or trampled by panicked horses, or were shredded by farm equipment or parboiled by the exploding boilers that powered it, or fell victim to one of the hundred other sorts of hazards occupational to being a child at a time of large families and over-worked parents struggling to keep track of their offspring.

And that does not count the domestic mayhem inflicted by often-drunken economically desperate parents on their children and each other as such matters were considered private family affairs.

So when a few years back I ran into Amazon.com: Wisconsin Death Trip (Wisconsin): Books: Michael Lesy my thought was "Yup, that's exactly how he described it".

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 12-11-2007 at 03:33 PM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    my thought was "Yup, that's exactly how he described it".
    From Library Journal
    ... The whole package seems to confirm that the good old days were actually awful.

That's about the way I also remember it being told by my grandparents, fondly (because of the willful forgetting of the bad parts and making the parts seem ordinary). My grandparents on my mother's side lost their house in the depression but were able to buy it back later when those people went under. That's the house my great grandparents owned before them, and the house my grandparents died in - that's they way it was in small town rural America back then.

Here is a personal memory from a Christmas back then - a friend of my older brother (a year older) who lived down the street got a chemistry set for Christmas (remember those old chemistry sets? they actually contained lots of should-not-have-in-the-hands-of-kids chemicals in them). A couple of days after Christmas he apparently was playing with it and mixing things and adding whatever to the mix when there was a big explosion ... blew his room, with him in it ... off the second story corner of his house, killing him and setting the house on fire. To my knowledge, no one ever figured out what chemicals and other stuff he was mixing up, but it was not a good combination of things, that's for sure.

That next day our parents took away our chemistry set, it was the same one he had been playing with.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

william siegel Guest

Jeff,

I dont think we should delete this thread. It shows us a lot of things.

It shows us that we cannot control what happens to us, or our children, twenty four hours a day.

It shows us how we jump to conclusions without having all the facts. Some of you have condemned that parents (some still do). Some of you have retracted as the thread went on.

It shows the importance of our jobs as inspectors. Some of the things we write up people laugh at or think we might be too picky, but we know if it helps just one person it was all worth it. Before this post, who know the information that Eric posted about the dishwashers? Perhaps now we need to gather more information on diswashers so we can be better informed and possibly prevent this tragedy from ever happening again.

It shows that we all have different values and ideas, and we are willing to talk about and debate them. We have all learned on this board to agree to disagree about certain things.

This board works well. Posts like this are needed

I think this thread and the information contained in it are useful to our profession. I do not plan to delete it. (I'm not sure if I, as the originator of this thread, have the power to delete the thread like we could do (and some did very often) on the old board.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    I just gotta' say this about "the good old days": my father, who was born in 1908, spend his childhood on a farm and then in town where the sawmill was the chief employer, places that were the archetypes of "rugged individualism" and "personal responsibility".

When he talked about his childhood, one of the things that struck me was how often his reminiscence took a casually grisly turn: children fell off wagons, into wells or fires or through the ice, were crushed by hogs, mauled by stray dogs or trampled by panicked horses, or were shredded by farm equipment or parboiled by the exploding boilers that powered it, or fell victim to one of the hundred other sorts of hazards occupational to being a child at a time of large families and over-worked parents struggling to keep track of their offspring.
    That's very true. Farms were (and still are) very dangerous places. My family operated a dairy farm in Georgia from 1903 to 1983. We bottled and delivered milk until 1953. (You can find one of our old milk bottles on eBay every now and then. BREEDLOVE'S Half Pint Milk Bottle Monroe, GA. Georgia - (eBay item 280169325644 end time Jan-01-08 03:19:12 PST)) We also operated a beef cattle farm in a nearby county.

When he was 21 years old my grandfather lost his left arm below the elbow in a corn shredder. Two of my uncles were killed on January 1, 1957 when a truck loaded with heifers overturned. A dairy hand with them was injured but survived. A farm worker on the beef cattle farm was killed in the early '80s when a tractor overturned on him. My father came close to getting crushed when he overturned a tractor. A worker on the dairy narrowly escaped death when he overturned a tractor (the same one my father flipped now that I think about it) in a creek (he was mowing beside the creek when the rear tire collapsed a fox hole on the edge of the creek causing the tractor to pivot around that tire and pulling the front of the tractor - tricycle-type - into the creek); he was saved only because the creek was narrow and the rear tires straddled the creek leaving just enough room between the creekbed and the seat.

There were countless other close calls. In the early '60s about 2 dozen cows waiting to be milked were electrocuted while they were held in a stanchion. The guy working in that barn with the wet concrete floor could have easily been electrocuted. I had numerous close calls myself but I escaped with only a few scars and poor hearing (thanks to many hours on tractors and shooting too many loud guns).

Oh, yes. I miss the good old days.

Last edited by Bruce Breedlove; 12-11-2007 at 03:39 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Shelly McIntyre Guest

Unhappy Re: Infant Killed In Dishwasher Tragedy

Ok, First, I would like to say that I was looking online to find out about getting dishwashers safer and that is how I stumbled on this site. I would like to say a few things.....I am the mother of Blake Kurck, the 18 month old little boy.....I would like to say a few words in my defense! I was at work when this happened, and I just fell apart. Their dad had just quit his job and truthfully I dont know what went on that day. I know that Blake was a curious little boy and he just learned how to get out of his play pen. Granted his dad should have never taken that nap. This was actually totally out of the ordinary for him. I do blame him for this and it has actually tore up my family. I can tell u this noone was criminally charged but dependency neglect did go to the father. I do think that since you all are inspectors that you should not be so judgemental until you actually get all the facts. I know that as humans we do that but in certain circumstances I believe a little diginity is in order. Enough on that.....I would like to tell you about my dishwasher. It was a Maytag and it was a older model. It was the cheapest one that they made. It has a turn knob, did not have a lever to lock it, just a button on the lid to open it up. The top rack was taken out because he had been washing the refrigerator shelves, and the bottom rack....Blake pulled out......which these pull out so easily. These appliance makers make the cheapest ones they can for trailers. The main reason I was looking on line is because I do feel like there is a manufacturer flaw somewhere! The manufacturers are claming that their appliances are safe but how can they be with no type of child locks or child anything on them. Look at the new refrigerators with the freezer drawers on the bottom. Truely can you tell me that a child could not get in there??? I am advocating for safer appliances and feel that there is more of a need now more than ever! I, myself never could have imagined that something like this could have happened but guess what it did, and I can tell you that it will again if someone don't do something. I would appreciate it if any of you have any sort of information that I might be able to use to have something done. I know that I have talked to Eric and he has really impressed me because he has went to the extent that a true investigator would do. I have vowed to do whatever I can to make sure that this does not happen to any other child, whether it be in a dishwasher or not......all appliances are dangerous! I have not been able to actually load dishes in my parents dishwasher because it so reminds me of what has happened. I again would like to say that I would appreciate any help that any of you could possibly be! Cliffton Kurck (2005 - 2007)

Unhappy Re: Infant Killed In Dishwasher Tragedy

I am very sorry for your loss.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Shelly and Family,

I'm very sorry for the loss you and your family has experienced.

First, I, as I am sure all of are, are sorry for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly McIntyre View Post
    The manufacturers are claming that their appliances are safe but how can they be with no type of child locks or child anything on them. Look at the new refrigerators with the freezer drawers on the bottom. Truely can you tell me that a child could not get in there???
    Second, though, appliances are safeR (that "R" is important to note) than old models. It's not that children 'can't get in', it is that, once in, they can get out.

Old residential refrigerators had latching handles, children, and adults, have become trapped in them and died. Newer refrigerators no longer have latching handles, they have magnetic seals. The doors do not lock, they can be pushed open ... to a degree. I can tell you that our refrigerator creates a pretty good suction to hold the door closed after the door has been opened - which allows room temperature air in, and then closed - which then cools that warmer air down, creating the suction. Some refrigerators, like Sub Zero models, are very hard to open. I doubt a child would be able to open our refrigerator if they were to get inside, and sure they would not be able to open a Sub Zero model.

I am advocating for safer appliances and feel that there is more of a need now more than ever!
    Unfortunately, it usually takes tragedies to make advocates for something. You are on a good cause. How to make refrigerators safer? add an inside release, all it would likely need to do is open an air port to the room, allowing the pressure to equalize, and thus allowing the door to be pushed open.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Update:
    So far, none of the manufacturers have returned any inquiries. LG has not responded either as to if the design of their latch was intentional.

On a different front, while at Lowes yesterday, I spied a $600.00 Kitchen Aid unit that also has just a tab that a bracket slides into. The door can be opened very easily like the LG.

Chris Yahn Guest

First of all, I too am very sorry for your loss, Shelly...... As a father of three, and my youngest only two, I can only imagine the pain that you are all in, my heart goes out to you.

And as a new member to the post and as somebody breaking into the home inspection business, I can also tell you that half of what we all do on each and every inspection directly involves "safety issues" surrounding the home (hence the original post concerning your tragic loss). The other, ("roughly") half of the issues surrounding an inspection involve structural issues and of course some of the issues involve both. For example on an inspection today, the biggest issues that I reported were: exposed live wires; a deck that was not secured properly to the house; prior roof leak due to missing shingles and improper flashing at the chimney. Clearly 50/50 safety to structural.

I also think I can speak for many of us (that have read and/or been apart of this "thread") in that we will very likely see and look at things with a more "heightened" awareness towards safety. For instance I now make sure that I put my weight into every "kitchen island" during inspections, to make sure that it is firmly secured to the floor structure after reading about a "retro" kitchen island that took a child's life, as he attempted to climb up on a kitchen island that had never been properly secured and it came down on top of him. (by the way, one parent was 30 feet away folding laundry and the other was clearing the dishes in the same room... it happened quickly, as many accidents can).

Therefore, I not only think that this thread was appropriate as a topic of discussion, but also, since fifty percent of our job as inspectors concerns "safety" issues, we have the ability and responsibility to try and act on what it is that we find in the field every day. Therefore, I applaud what Eric initiated and I wonder if a letter from ASHI, NAHI, etc wouldn't be a logical next step....

And finally...
    Many, on this thread, have discussed design changes over the years and what I see out there is how kitchen appliance evolution has been "decor driven" in the last 5-10 years..... the sleek, stainless, purposeful absence of handles, knobs, etc... I did a new 2.5 mill dollar home a couple of weeks ago (I believe one of our professional B.Ball players) and I didn't think there even was a dishwasher in the kitchen until I opened some of the lower cabinets and finally realized there was actually two! The facing of the DW perfectly matched the cabinets as to hide or camoflage the appliances.... We have gone backwards in my opinion. I had to go out in my kitchen and check because I knew my DW had an outside latch. According to the serial no. on my machine, it was built in 87 (see pic) and that KitchenAid cleans dishes like nobodies bizzness! I will be one very sad camper when that baby gives up. As for the latch being an "inconvience" or difficult to operate????? Are you joking? My two year old loves to close it for me when I'm doing dishes so that he can snap the latch down!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Gary Hefner Guest

Thumbs up Re: Infant Killed In Dishwasher Tragedy

Hello; my wife and daughter have both posted here so I guess it is my turn, first let me thank all of you for the jobs you do. A friend of mine is a home inspector and I realize how hard the job is. My grandson is the one who died in the dishwasher and I agree that if his Dad had not been asleep this probably wouldn't have happened but it did. Our concern now is that this not ever happen to someone else . What I hope this thread has accomplished is that when you do a inspection you are both aware and let the homeowner know of the dangers that might be in the home. Our daughterhas moved in with my wife and I, we have custody of the youngest of our grandsons and our former son in law has custody of the older, not the one that was asleep. We are working on our daughter regaining custody. Both of our daughters and our oldest Grandson can't even go near a dishwasher. I have learned from this that you can't beleave anything reported in the news, even real news outlets. What was reported in this case not only wasn't true it wasn't even what they were told. Again thanks for the jobs all of you do, please continue to make others aware of the hazards around their homes. Lets all make the world a safer place for our children.

I wanted to bring this post back to life so that we can remember, and hopefully prevent it from happening again.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Repost is testimonial to the unfortunate accident...
    I do not believe that anyone aware of the original incident will forget the tragedy that should not have occurred...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    I wanted to bring this post back to life so that we can remember, and hopefully prevent it from happening again.
    This should not be forgotten

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Remember and heed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast