Thread: What is this?

Default What is this?

This gray box was sitting in the bottom of the main breaker panel.....looks like it's overheated. It only has three conductors coming out of the top. Each black one is going to each side of a 220 breaker (double tapped of course) and the green to the ground bar....no output wires and just a green LED in the front. Is this some sort of a line filter?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: What is this?

It is a surge suppressor/filter. The instructions that came with it specified it is to be on its' own circuit breaker and the breaker size. The electronics inside have a propensity to attract dirt in places, and I suspect if you wiped the case the "overheated" look would go away.

In theory, as long as the LED is lit the thing is working.

I've never seen one myself but I have seen posted on here before that the surge device should not be within the service equipment panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    I've never seen one myself but I have seen posted on here before that the surge device should not be within the service equipment panel.

Correct.

The main body is supposed to be outside the panel enclosure, the threaded hub installed through a knockout, then that lock nut you see is used to hold it in place in the knockout. That is also in the installation instructions.

It is quite possible that the overheated darkened areas are from it taking a hit, but one which did not completely damage or destroy it.

Besides being installed completely wrong physically (i.e., it is laying in the panel enclosure) it may also be completely installed wrong electrically - the neutral conductor is to be installed as short as possible to the neutral terminal bus.

Do you have an overall view of that panel with that installed?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Matt Vozzella Guest

Don't know if you were looking at a commercial building or residential but an example of use would be a Fire Alarm system which requires the telephone lines, a 120v line, and any other signal wiring to the building exterior to go through a surge suppressor. Not uncommon under those conditions to see 4, 5 or even 6 surge suppressors mounted around the FACP.

A.D. Miller Guest

The main body is supposed to be outside the panel enclosure, the threaded hub installed through a knockout, then that lock nut you see is used to hold it in place in the knockout. That is also in the installation instructions.
    JP: Perhaps on that unit, not on mine. Sycom states, "Due to the unit's internal fusing, the unit may be installed in most locations." they elsewhere indicate that the nipple is for installation in a meter base.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    JP: Perhaps on that unit, not on mine. Sycom states, "Due to the unit's internal fusing, the unit may be installed in most locations."
    "the unit may be installed in most locations"

That does not mean "within" the enclosure of the panelboard, or "within" other things.

Only items manufactured by, and listed and labeled for use in/with, a single manufacturers panel are allowed within that panel.

That is one of the arguments which does not allow "compatible" "registered" breakers to be installed in panels other than those which list those breakers as being allowed.

Take a GE, Square D, or Siemens panel, they are "listed and labeled" "for use with" the specific breakers listed on the labeling.

Take an Intermatic Pool Control Center, which includes timers and breakers, those ARE listed for several types of breakers, but ONLY those types listed on the labeling.

End result is, if it is not by the manufacturer of the panel and even then if it is not listed on the labeling as be allowed for use in that panel ... it is not allowed to be used *IN* that panel, i.e., "within" that panel.

It MAY be used IN that LOCATION, through a knock out in the side of the panel, just not "within" that panel.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    "the unit may be installed in most locations"

That does not mean "within" the enclosure of the panelboard, or "within" other things.

Only items manufactured by, and listed and labeled for use in/with, a single manufacturers panel are allowed within that panel.

That is one of the arguments which does not allow "compatible" "registered" breakers to be installed in panels other than those which list those breakers as being allowed.

Take a GE, Square D, or Siemens panel, they are "listed and labeled" "for use with" the specific breakers listed on the labeling.

Take an Intermatic Pool Control Center, which includes timers and breakers, those ARE listed for several types of breakers, but ONLY those types listed on the labeling.

End result is, if it is not by the manufacturer of the panel and even then if it is not listed on the labeling as be allowed for use in that panel ... it is not allowed to be used *IN* that panel, i.e., "within" that panel.

It MAY be used IN that LOCATION, through a knock out in the side of the panel, just not "within" that panel.
    JP: Following your maligned reasoning then, all of the wire nuts and cables must also be mentioned by manufacturer's name and model number in order to be installed within the confines of the main distribution panelboard? Give me a break. . .