Default Requirments for sump (de-watering) pump covers

This cover got me wondering: are there any requirements for sump pump covers?

For example, that they can support a person's weight while standing on them?

This one is in a "storage area" in front of shelving were it's not unreasonable suppose this could happen, and the original steel plate cover has been replaced with a plastic garbage can lid....

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Michael Thomas; 06-11-2009 at 08:03 AM.
    Inspection Referral
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Matt Vozzella Guest

Default Re: Requirments for sump (de-watering) pump covers

Florida Plumbing Code (similar or identical to IPC) 1113.1.2
    Sump pit. The sump pit shall not be less than 18 inches (457mm) in diameter and 24 inches (610mm) deep, unless otherwise approved. The pit shall be accessible and located such that all drainage flows into the pit by gravity. The sum pit shall be constructed of tile, stee, plastic, cast-iron, concrete or other approved material with a removeable cover adequate to support anticipated loads in the area of use. The pit floor shall be solid and provide permanent support for the pump.

Default Re: Requirements for sump (de-watering) pump covers

The IRC, however, does not address the cover for the sump and the sump pit, only its minimum diameter and depth.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Tim Saunders Guest

I have been looking for my trash can lip.
    Glad to see it has been put to good use

Tim Saunders Guest

Back to spelling class
    Lid not Lip

Tim Saunders Guest

If this was in a home constructed in the last 15 years or so, that should be a sealed lid, and depending on the jurisdiction it may even need a passive radon vent.
    You may offer to do a radon test

Have a great day
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Saunders View Post
    If this was in a home constructed in the last 15 years or so, that should be a sealed lid, and depending on the jurisdiction it may even need a passive radon vent.Tim
    Tim,

Is that an IRC requirement? If so do you have a cite? The best I was able to come up with were manufacturers' requirements for a "adequate" cover.

- Thanks

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Tim Saunders Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Tim,

Is that an IRC requirement? If so do you have a cite? The best I was able to come up with were manufacturers' requirements for a "adequate" cover.

- Thanks
    Michael, first off, I am not a C-O-D-E inspector, there are plenty of those out there.
    If you go to appendix "F" of the IRC, you will find all the info that you need regarding where radon reduction controls are required as well as different methods of doing.
    We have been required in various counties in Maryland since 1984.
    It started out with the 6 mil plastic and caulking all the cracks and joints in the slab. Now most jurisdictions allow the installation of a passive vent system and if this involves a sump crock,it will be sealed

Have a great day

Tim

If you go to appendix "F" of the IRC,

Appendix F is not code enforceable with the IRC as part of the IRC unless:

- R102.5 Appendices. Provisions in the appendices shall not apply unless specifically referenced in the adopting ordinance.

- AF101.1 General. This appendix contains requirements for new construction in jurisdictions where radon-resistant construction is required.
    - - Inclusion of this appendix by jurisdictions shall be determined through the use of locally available data or determination of Zone 1 designation in Figure AF101.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Tim Saunders Guest

Does that mean I can tell all the counties up here that this requirement is no longer enforceable?

This would be good news for the builders, since sealed crocks are much more expensive.

Thanks

Tim

Does that mean I can tell all the counties up here that this requirement is no longer enforceable?
    Did you read what I posted?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Appendix F is not code enforceable with the IRC as part of the IRC unless:

- R102.5 Appendices. Provisions in the appendices shall not apply unless specifically referenced in the adopting ordinance.

- AF101.1 General. This appendix contains requirements for new construction in jurisdictions where radon-resistant construction is required.
    - - Inclusion of this appendix by jurisdictions shall be determined through the use of locally available data or determination of Zone 1 designation in Figure AF101.
    Thus, the answer to your question is a question: Has Appendix F been locally adopted?

Answer that and you have your answer.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Tim Saunders Guest

Did you read what I posted?

Thus, the answer to your question is a question: Has Appendix F been locally adopted?

Answer that and you have your answer.
    You will read in my first post that in Maryland we have been required to install.
    So I did not understand why you posted that appendix "F" did not apply??????

Have a great day

Tim

You will read in my first post that in Maryland we have been required to install.
    So I did not understand why you posted that appendix "F" did not apply??????

Tim,

Just because you "have been required to install" something DOES NOT mean it is approved by local ordinance.

It very possibly could be just some local reading of the code who say that and started requiring it, and no one asked for proof.

So, again I ask: "Has Appendix F been locally adopted?"

You should never take something like that for granted "just because" someone is requiring you to do it, you should ask for the requirement, which in this case would be the local adoption of Appendix F specifically.

There are many, many, many, many cases where a requirement is based on "because I said so" by some code inspector or official - that does not make it "code".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Tim Saunders Guest

Tim,

Just because you "have been required to install" something DOES NOT mean it is approved by local ordinance.

It very possibly could be just some local reading of the code who say that and started requiring it, and no one asked for proof.

So, again I ask: "Has Appendix F been locally adopted?"

You should never take something like that for granted "just because" someone is requiring you to do it, you should ask for the requirement, which in this case would be the local adoption of Appendix F specifically.

There are many, many, many, many cases where a requirement is based on "because I said so" by some code inspector or official - that does not make it "code".
    I may have used the wrong wording, but it is required, adopted and enforced. I have not been know to accept most anything the local governments tell me, I must have been born in Missouri, the SHOW ME STATE

Have a great day

Tim

I may have used the wrong wording, but it is required, adopted and enforced.
    The wording makes all the difference in the world as to what it says, yes.

I have not been know to accept most anything the local governments tell me, I must have been born in Missouri, the SHOW ME STATE
    I suspect that many of us must have had relatives from Missouri too.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com