Default Ground at 1986 SF Home In Buffalo Grove IL

House built 1986 in Buffalo Grove (northwest suburb of Chicago). Underground service, no ground rod visible, meter panel sealed by electric company. I've never seen a Ufer ground at a property of this age in this area.

Bare ground conductor at service equipment heads up into thin flexible metallic conduit, every time I've seen this arrangement previously it eventually bonded to a cold water pipe, there's a dropped ceiling throughout most the basement and I was not able to find the other end. No jumper at at the water meter, nor evidence there has ever been one.

1) Anyone with experience in the northwest Chicago suburbs have any idea how system was (is) likely was originally grounded?

2) Any suggestions for further investigation next time I encounter this?

3) Any suggestions on how to report it?

- Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Default Re: Ground at 1986 SF Home In Buffalo Grove IL

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    1) Anyone with experience in the northwest Chicago suburbs have any idea how system was (is) likely was originally grounded?
    The ground could be within the pedestal enclosure going down into the ground.

When writing up the rest of the electrical - I am SURE there are other electrical items - recommend "Have electrical contractor verify proper system grounding while on-site making other electrical repairs."

I have used that often. When I would see what looked to be an EGC going to a Ufer ground and no visible ground rod, I always stated that. I was not sure that it even went to a UFER ground as I did not dig down to the footing/slab edge to see it go into the concrete, and even if I had, I would not know for sure that it was connected to the steel properly with a proper clamp.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    When writing up the rest of the electrical - I am SURE there are other electrical items...

I dono'...might be a few things I could have them look at....

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas

Wow. How about "recommend licensed electrician review and repair/replace as necessary." The corrosion patterns in the top end of the box are of concern. It appears that there may be moisture or water entering the panel on occasion. That's a pretty warm breaker--about 20 degrees above ambient temperature? And of course, the equipment.

I have an FPE panel that was removed from the garage of a fire chief in my service area. After I discussed the concerns with him, he had it replaced the very next day, and allowed me to take the old FPE panel. After checking it out in the lab, I found arching indications and discoloration of the main buses, and loose/damaged breakers. Not the kind of equipment that one might want to count on for their life.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Samraj Baliram Guest

A man date should be given to have all FP/ FPE panel circuit brakers replaced these panel have major internal problems.

House built 1986 in Buffalo Grove (northwest suburb of Chicago). Underground service, no ground rod visible, meter panel sealed by electric company. I've never seen a Ufer ground at a property of this age in this area.

Bare ground conductor at service equipment heads up into thin flexible metallic conduit, every time I've seen this arrangement previously it eventually bonded to a cold water pipe, there's a dropped ceiling throughout most the basement and I was not able to find the other end. No jumper at at the water meter, nor evidence there has ever been one.

- Thanks

Hi Mike,

For years, Buffalo Grove followed the old' school Chicago grounding of no grounds and connection to cold water only.

Chicago started requiring ground rods around 2000. Buffalo Grove went to ground rods somewhere around 2004. Anything prior to that, no ground rods.
    Not only was it not required, it was a violation to install them via local amendment.

The 1986 house you looked at was code compliant for its day and most of BG is done that way.

Sincerely,

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Friedman View Post
    Hi Mike,

For years, Buffalo Grove followed the old' school Chicago grounding of no grounds and connection to cold water only.

Chicago started requiring ground rods around 2000. Buffalo Grove went to ground rods somewhere around 2004. Anything prior to that, no ground rods.
    Not only was it not required, it was a violation to install them via local amendment.

The 1986 house you looked at was code compliant for its day and most of BG is done that way.

Sincerely,

Corey
    Corey,

I guess my post should have been more clearly written, it's the lack of any evidence of grounding to the cold water system - including a jumper the meter - but I'm concerned about.

As I read your post, a 1986 property with the original service in Buffalo Grove should have been grounded to the cold water system, and even if I can't locate the connection to the cold water piping (up there somewhere under the now suspended ceiling in the basement) there should be a jumper present at the meter.

Or, am I misreading your post?

- Thanks

BTW, I'm was really sorry I missed your AC last week - I was registered, but stuck at an inspection 'till around 5:30, and there was just no way I could make it down by 6:00 to catch the start of the class. Hopefully, you will do it again in some other venue sometime soon.

Michael Thomas

Corey,

I guess my post should have been more clearly written, it's the lack of any evidence of grounding to the cold water system - including a jumper the meter - but I'm concerned about.

As I read your post, a 1986 property with the original service in Buffalo Grove should have been grounded to the cold water system, and even if I can't locate the connection to the cold water piping (up there somewhere under the now suspended ceiling in the basement) there should be a jumper present at the meter.

Or, am I misreading your post?

- Thanks

BTW, I'm was really sorry I missed your AC last week - I was registered, but stuck at an inspection 'till around 5:30, and there was just no way I could make it down by 6:00 to catch the start of the class. Hopefully, you will do it again in some other venue sometime soon.

Hi Mike,

I re-read your post and misunderstood it. Your response to my post is accurate.

Sorry you couldn't make it last Wed. but there will be others. See ya then.

Sincerely,

Corey

I worked in the Northern Illinois suburbs in the mid ninties and Buffalo Grove was that way, no driven rods, but you had to have cold water, ran to street side of the meter and meter jumped. It was a local violation to install ground rods at that time.
    TomK