Michael Koser Guest

Default Recessed Skylights

Anybody ever saw recessed skylights before. These skylights were mounted about ¾” below the decking surface of a roof system above an enclosed porch. They were sealed with a tar based sealant to the shingles. How long before this will begin to leak. The house was a foreclosure home only two years old and the porch was an addition of unknown age but I was told professionally installed. It did look good except for the skylight install.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Recessed Skylights

I would call for a repair without any time frame. We know they will leak, so the new owner may as well get them fixed now.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Koser View Post
    How long before this will begin to leak.
    The next rain.

No one knows how long, but as John said, it will leak, so it is not up to us to try put our butts on the line and "guess when" it will leak.

It was installed totally wrong, that is all your report should say.

If your client is asking "how long", give them my first answer "The next rain."

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I'd just write that up as a hole in the roof covering.

You probably get some snow down there in NC. Imagine a 6 inch blanket of it on the roof. Imagine the heat loss through the glass melting on the piled snow. Talk about leaks......yeah, it will.

Is there any slope on that roof ? Hard to tell from the photo but it also looks like the wrong roof covering materials used.

Nice roof mounted glass bottom bird bath

Joe Cavasin Guest

I was thinking the same thing about roof slope/materials, and the fact that these could be a selling point to some realtors... "adorable home with innovative roof top water feature..."

Mike Hunger Guest

I agree with Jerry... write it up as "Installed incorrectly", then recommend further review by a professional roofer. BTW, was the interior ceiling freshly painted?
    Maybe they were thinking of a roof -mounted cistern? We have had a couple dry summers...

Michael Koser Guest

It was a 4/12 roof so I have no issue with the roof install. But I do like the roof mounted bird bath comment. Gives new meaning to the old comment "Is a ducks #$@ watertight". I guess these owners will find out if they don’t get it fixed. I did report it as an incorrect install and that it will leak if not corrected by a qualified roofer. The interior space was a vinyl ceiling without any staining. I also am worried and reported to likely wood structural damage under the shingles due to water wicking under the shingles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hunger View Post
    I agree with Jerry... write it up as "Installed incorrectly",
    then recommend further review by a professional roofer.
    NO ... NO ... NO ... NO ... NO ... you just now screwed up all the good you did!

Write it up as installed incorrectly, yes, then ...

... then don't let them pull your pants down, recommend IT BE CORRECTED.

To recommend "further evaluation" only exposes your wimpetteness, don't put that skirt on - keep your big boy pants on and don't wimp out.

YOU just EVALUATED it. NOW it needs FIXIN'.

Jeez, how many times do we have to say that here?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jim Zborowski Guest

Did you say vinyl cieling????????? like in secondary water shield 'cause the skylights gonna leak?

Mike Hunger Guest

OK, Jerry... didn't mean to get your blood pressure up by that comment
    Usually, I write up items such as this one with "review/repair" terminology... which is what I meant to state earlier. My concern was with the pitch of the roof - whether it was steep enough, or not - the skylights are a no-brainer - repair. I am not going to do any "destructive investigation" of the areas around the skylight, although I suspect there is already some damage; hence the "review" by a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hunger View Post
    OK, Jerry... didn't mean to get your blood pressure up by that comment
    Mike,

You didn't get my blood pressure up with that comment, you only set off all the bells and whistles which say "sue me, please sue me" ...

Usually, I write up items such as this one with "review/repair" terminology...

hence the "review" by a professional.
    NO ... NO ... NO ... NOT AGAIN!

Skip the "review" and go straight to Jail, do not pass Go, do not collect $200, do not use "Get Out of Jail Free" card, then write up "repair", when through correcting all references from "review" to "repair", you may use your "Get Out of Jail Free" card.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com