A.D. Miller Guest

Default Al - oooo - minium Ice Chests

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Al - oooo - minium Ice Chests

Just what part of Styrofoam is "green"?? I get the energy use may be lower (maybe) but using petrochemicals (a non-renewable resource) to prevent using wood (a renewable resource.)
    Me thinks the writer of the article needs a few lessons in logic as well as what "green" means.
    Granted that total energy use must be factored into the "green" equation, but the writer completely avoided the subject.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

What he is saying is that ... over the long run ... with the future use of energy ... er ... "lack of" future use of energy ... the energy costs up front of are offset by the long term payback.

Yeah, if that house stands for that long (not talking about deterioration, which may happen) but about "shelf life" for homes in the US - where we tend to "remodel" every 20 years or so, and there goes (you name it) in that house.

All that energy to make and only 20 years to recover it, maybe remodeling in thirds every 20 years makes it 20 - 40 - 60 years years for 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3 recovery.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Styrofoam, if that is what they are using is recyclable but I am about to double check my thoughts with some fact finding. If it is polyicoanurate, which I doubt, it is not recyclabe. At 12 iches I doubt it is poly. It would be about an R100 or something like that. Even a little , or a lot overkill with a 12 inch standard foam. Long term on the aluminum as far as nicks, dents, scratches probably not good. As far as insect nesting in the foam, well, they better have treated styro or an ongoing preventive program or they will get in. They say it is equivelant in price to a stick built home but I would like to see the specs and fact sheets along with final cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly;88592
    Styrofoam, if that is what they are using is recyclable .
    Styrofoam is a Trade Marked product ( much like Yellawood) it is recyclable and is Expanded Polystyrene and comes in many grades and usually sold as virgin, recycled and reformed into extruded blocks apr.6ft x 12ft x 24ft.

1lb. A log is virgin expanded polystyrene A denotes virgin 1lb. denotes the weight of 1 square foot of the material.

2lb. material is very rigid and will leave a bruise or knot on you noggin if it's struck with any force.

B Log is recycled material all made from the same lb. weight ( all 1lb ect )

C Log is made from all grades of recycled material. 1lb. , 1 1/2 lb. 2 lb. but still sold in the standard weights achieved by blending the different weights to average of say ( 1lb.)

The Material is cut by hot wire to length .

Many High End Decorative Molding is made by CAD driven hot wire machines made from 2lb. or heavier Expanded Polystyrene and it is a petrol chemical derivative.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Ted Menelly Guest

I am proud of you Billy.

Yes I just double checked on all of that. I did a lot of jobs with polystyrene and yes cut if with a hot wire and did remember it was recyclable.

Thanks. You kept me from copying all that and pasting it. Yes, I call everything that looks like a styrofoam cup styrofoam. Everyone knows styrofoam. Not everyone knows polystyrene. I want to billed my old fart home with polyicoanurate (I do not know how to spell that) foam panels, SIPs.

Stephen Meyer Guest

Ted,

There is a sip manufacturer in New Braunfels that bought out a $24m dollar plant back east in anticipation of the new construction. It really is a remarkable product. A 2000 sq ft home can have all walls up in 5 days. However, the New B. location is now in chapter 13. No building..........The buildings are so tight that they have to have transfer grills for outside air to shut doors.

sm

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I am proud of you Billy.

Yes I just double checked on all of that. I did a lot of jobs with polystyrene and yes cut if with a hot wire and did remember it was recyclable.

Thanks. You kept me from copying all that and pasting it. Yes, I call everything that looks like a styrofoam cup styrofoam. Everyone knows styrofoam. Not everyone knows polystyrene. I want to billed my old fart home with polyicoanurate (I do not know how to spell that) foam panels, SIPs.
    TM: Your vocabulary needs expanding and not extruding.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    TM: Your vocabulary needs expanding and not extruding.

Hmm

I just read that post. All pretty sad. Some times I am not paying to much attention to what I write on here as I am always doing five other things at the same time.