John Kreelman Guest

Default Catnik lintel install query

Hi guys n gals,
    Thoughts please. My parents are having a new Upvc door installed into previously solid wall at side of house. It's cavity wall, two storey end of terrace brick & tiled property. The installers have put catnik in but internally have put half a thermalite block either side of internal catnik as padstones? My initial thought on this is a no no. Should at least be clay or engineering brick surely?
    They haven't closed cavity either, just plasterboarded over and plastered. Should they have not sealed this to prevent any moisture being absorbed by the plasterboard, especially as there are ext air bricks within 3 ft of door and it's a wall that gets the weather badly.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Catnik lintel install query

Quote Originally Posted by John Kreelman View Post
    Hi guys n gals,
    Thoughts please. My parents are having a new Upvc door installed into previously solid wall at side of house. It's cavity wall, two storey end of terrace brick & tiled property. The installers have put catnik in but internally have put half a thermalite block either side of internal catnik as padstones? My initial thought on this is a no no. Should at least be clay or engineering brick surely?
    They haven't closed cavity either, just plasterboarded over and plastered. Should they have not sealed this to prevent any moisture being absorbed by the plasterboard, especially as there are ext air bricks within 3 ft of door and it's a wall that gets the weather badly.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    I had to look up CatNic, I have never seen or heard of it. You might want to contact CatNic and speak with their technical department, they should be able to tell you exactly how the lintel needs to be installed. This is a link to their website Catnic - Steel Lintels | Special Lintels | Building Components | Qwikpost

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

John Kreelman Guest

Sometimes the obvious is too obvious! I never thought to give catic a call. Thanks. The out come was that whilst they wouldn't say if it was right or wrong to use a thermalite, they suggested that if you look at alot of modern builds, the internal skin is nearly always light block work. I s'pose that does qualify it to a certain degree but thinking back I'm sure you see a couple of bricks in there somewhere? Any way, to the responder, many thanks for taking the time to reply. Cheers.

Ted Menelly Guest

Number one it is not a Catnil. Catnik is just the manufacturers name who builds these lintels. To call it a Catnik will get no answers to your questions. It is not a Catnik it is a lintel.

Also...ext air bricks.....plasterboard and plaster.......(basically blue board which is drywall with a special coating with a skim coat of plaster on it)

Anyway, no pictures, no more details, no plan or specs, we cannot help anyway.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I had to look up CatNic, I have never seen or heard of it. You might want to contact CatNic and speak with their technical department, they should be able to tell you exactly how the lintel needs to be installed. This is a link to their website Catnic - Steel Lintels | Special Lintels | Building Components | Qwikpost
    SP: I thought of many things when I saw the name, but would not have arrived at lintel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Number one it is not a Catnil. Catnik is just the manufacturers name who builds these lintels. To call it a Catnik will get no answers to your questions. It is not a Catnik it is a lintel.

Also...ext air bricks.....plasterboard and plaster.......(basically blue board which is drywall with a special coating with a skim coat of plaster on it)

Anyway, no pictures, no more details, no plan or specs, we cannot help anyway.
    Teddy, it is CatNic........ No "k" on the end..

The poster is from the UK and they do have different terminology and they do tend to build things a little differant compared to how we do things here in the States. I think we were able to help him a little.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    The poster is from the UK and they do have different terminology and they do tend to build things a little differant compared to how we do things here in the States.
    I came to the party late, and it seems that everyone has gone home , I'd have to look up a lot of those terms before even attempting to answer that question.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com